MIT Interview Questions in Cambridge, MA

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.7

Senior Reactor Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview for basic experience and level of knowledge. They want to know you're qualified and intelligent before they bother bringing you in. Once you're in the panel interview they ask about your experience, family, hobbies, etc. NRL is a small team so they need to know that you will fit in well personality wise with the other staff members. It is an intelligent, friendly team and they work closely together and depend upon each other to accomplish the tasks necessary.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience in training other personnel   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then waited 4-6 weeks. My manager emailed me to set up a phone interview for the next week. The phone interview was about 20 minutes and went well. She invited me in for an in-person interview by email the next day. The in person interview was with three people. I was asked to give a 10 minute presentation and then we had an interview portion where I was asked questions and was given time to ask questions in return. I was offered the job about a week later and salary negotiation lasted about a week after that. We set a start date of one month after the offer was given. All told the process was maybe 3 months long.

Interview Questions

• They asked about working on a team. Collaboration is big here.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate salary. They did not have much flexibility in other areas. I was happy with the process.

Senior Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job online and received a response back from HR within two days for an interview. I interviewed the following week with the associate director and supervisor for the department. After the interview it took three months to find out that the position hadn't been filled and that they were still looking at candidates to fill the role. It seemed that they were willing to wait for the perfect candidate.

Interview Questions

• What was the most important achievement during your career?
      Why do you think you experience matches our job description?
      Went over background.

Answer Question

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in July 2014.

Interview

Stiff and clinical, people at MIT Sloane are overly professional and have lost the human touch. One feels like one has to fit a mold, and any deviance from the accepted overworked, worker ant norm (even if you are doing your job well, and hitting all performance standards) is looked down upon.

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

FIrst round was a phone interview. They emailed telling me they were interested and then we conducted a phone interview with 2 supervisors. Then a second live interview and tour, with introductions.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you took initiative at work? What was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy. They were very pleasant to work with.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Easy to communicate with hiring team, very personable. Thorough, 3 step interview process beginning with support staff and ending with upper level faculty and administration. All my questions were answered.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to get the starting salary I asked for, but the Institute is not generous with raises.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in January 2014.

Interview

I initially planned to take a course at MIT, but upon persistence, continued communication and great performance, I was able to get paid for conducting research immediately. I was not technically "interviewed"; it was rather a 6 month long process of staying in touch with and collaborating with (and doing free work for) my desired lab.

Interview Questions

• My ten year plan. I had never had one, and so I had to devise one.   1 Answer

Negotiation

My salary was reduced from my asking price; albeit my asking price was high.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

MIT media labs contacted me after I applied online. I was extremely surprised that they even considered me. I thought I was fortunate to get this response from them. I was scheduled to talk to a staff member from the lab from the biological side. She spoke to me and asked general questions about my PhD, my interests, computer vision and machine learning. I did OK and I didn't expect a callback as a result.

Interview Questions

• What is my experience in biomedical/retinal computer vision?   Answer Question

Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Phone interview, followed by in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• No crazy questions, they just wanted to make sure that I was qualified for the position and my resume checked out.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The position is grant funded, so there was no opportunity for negotation.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Hiring processes at MIT can move slowly and often require several interviews. This is because once someone becomes a part of the community, it is very difficult to get rid of them, so managers want to be really sure someone is a good match. Sometimes managers don't even start looking at resumes until a position has been posted for a few weeks, so don't expect a quick response. Expect to do more than one interview, not just with the hiring manager but with multiple stakeholders. If you are applying for a job working directly with students, you may be interviewed by students, and their opinions are taken seriously.

Interview Questions

• Everyone at MIT believes it is a very unique place. So, if you act too confident that you will be successful in a job here because you have done a similar job somewhere else, that may be a turn-off. Ask lots of questions and try to talk about how you would tailor your approach to the unique conditions that exist here.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my salary, but I believe it is common to do so.