MIT Interview Questions in Cambridge, MA

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.6

Senior Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job online and received a response back from HR within two days for an interview. I interviewed the following week with the associate director and supervisor for the department. After the interview it took three months to find out that the position hadn't been filled and that they were still looking at candidates to fill the role. It seemed that they were willing to wait for the perfect candidate.

Interview Questions

• What was the most important achievement during your career?
      Why do you think you experience matches our job description?
      Went over background.

Answer Question

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in July 2014.

Interview

Stiff and clinical, people at MIT Sloane are overly professional and have lost the human touch. One feels like one has to fit a mold, and any deviance from the accepted overworked, worker ant norm (even if you are doing your job well, and hitting all performance standards) is looked down upon.

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

FIrst round was a phone interview. They emailed telling me they were interested and then we conducted a phone interview with 2 supervisors. Then a second live interview and tour, with introductions.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you took initiative at work? What was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy. They were very pleasant to work with.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Easy to communicate with hiring team, very personable. Thorough, 3 step interview process beginning with support staff and ending with upper level faculty and administration. All my questions were answered.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to get the starting salary I asked for, but the Institute is not generous with raises.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in January 2014.

Interview

I initially planned to take a course at MIT, but upon persistence, continued communication and great performance, I was able to get paid for conducting research immediately. I was not technically "interviewed"; it was rather a 6 month long process of staying in touch with and collaborating with (and doing free work for) my desired lab.

Interview Questions

• My ten year plan. I had never had one, and so I had to devise one.   1 Answer

Negotiation

My salary was reduced from my asking price; albeit my asking price was high.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

MIT media labs contacted me after I applied online. I was extremely surprised that they even considered me. I thought I was fortunate to get this response from them. I was scheduled to talk to a staff member from the lab from the biological side. She spoke to me and asked general questions about my PhD, my interests, computer vision and machine learning. I did OK and I didn't expect a callback as a result.

Interview Questions

• What is my experience in biomedical/retinal computer vision?   Answer Question

Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Phone interview, followed by in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• No crazy questions, they just wanted to make sure that I was qualified for the position and my resume checked out.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The position is grant funded, so there was no opportunity for negotation.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Hiring processes at MIT can move slowly and often require several interviews. This is because once someone becomes a part of the community, it is very difficult to get rid of them, so managers want to be really sure someone is a good match. Sometimes managers don't even start looking at resumes until a position has been posted for a few weeks, so don't expect a quick response. Expect to do more than one interview, not just with the hiring manager but with multiple stakeholders. If you are applying for a job working directly with students, you may be interviewed by students, and their opinions are taken seriously.

Interview Questions

• Everyone at MIT believes it is a very unique place. So, if you act too confident that you will be successful in a job here because you have done a similar job somewhere else, that may be a turn-off. Ask lots of questions and try to talk about how you would tailor your approach to the unique conditions that exist here.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my salary, but I believe it is common to do so.

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in July 2013.

Interview

Applied online on MIT webiste. First talked to a general HR recruiter. Then set up a skype interview with the professor. The interview was a bit bumpy, but I guess this person must have liked me very much because I ended up his first choice. Just asked standard questions about research experience and career goals, management style, etc.
    Then I got another pushy phone call from the HR person asking me to decide within a day whether to accept or not. I did not like dealing with the HR department but I absolutely love my professor very much.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge/problem you had to solve in your past position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation whatsoever. Basically they called me in 1 day and made me decide. They had a list to go through so they didn't care. That was quite harsh in my opinion.

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I emailed my resume was called within hours for interview. I interviewed with 4 people over 2 weeks and received an offer. They seemed to care more about character than skills. It's a kwirky company they are looking for very smart people who will in.

Interview Questions

• They asked very personal questions that a little out of line.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They told me the salary range, I picked a number in the middle and they gave it to me. Raises are very small so get as much as you can up front.