MIT Interview Questions in Cambridge, MA

2.6

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MIT in June 2014.

FIrst round was a phone interview. They emailed telling me they were interested and then we conducted a phone interview with 2 supervisors. Then a second live interview and tour, with introductions.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you took initiative at work? What was the result?   Answer Question
    Easy. They were very pleasant to work with.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MIT.

Easy to communicate with hiring team, very personable. Thorough, 3 step interview process beginning with support staff and ending with upper level faculty and administration. All my questions were answered.

Interview Questions
    I was able to get the starting salary I asked for, but the Institute is not generous with raises.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 months - interviewed at MIT in January 2014.

I initially planned to take a course at MIT, but upon persistence, continued communication and great performance, I was able to get paid for conducting research immediately. I was not technically "interviewed"; it was rather a 6 month long process of staying in touch with and collaborating with (and doing free work for) my desired lab.

Interview Questions
    • My ten year plan. I had never had one, and so I had to devise one.   View Answer
    My salary was reduced from my asking price; albeit my asking price was high.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MIT in December 2013.

MIT media labs contacted me after I applied online. I was extremely surprised that they even considered me. I thought I was fortunate to get this response from them. I was scheduled to talk to a staff member from the lab from the biological side. She spoke to me and asked general questions about my PhD, my interests, computer vision and machine learning. I did OK and I didn't expect a callback as a result.

Interview Questions
    • What is my experience in biomedical/retinal computer vision?   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MIT.

Hiring processes at MIT can move slowly and often require several interviews. This is because once someone becomes a part of the community, it is very difficult to get rid of them, so managers want to be really sure someone is a good match. Sometimes managers don't even start looking at resumes until a position has been posted for a few weeks, so don't expect a quick response. Expect to do more than one interview, not just with the hiring manager but with multiple stakeholders. If you are applying for a job working directly with students, you may be interviewed by students, and their opinions are taken seriously.

Interview Questions
    • Everyone at MIT believes it is a very unique place. So, if you act too confident that you will be successful in a job here because you have done a similar job somewhere else, that may be a turn-off. Ask lots of questions and try to talk about how you would tailor your approach to the unique conditions that exist here.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate my salary, but I believe it is common to do so.

Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MIT.

Phone interview, followed by in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • No crazy questions, they just wanted to make sure that I was qualified for the position and my resume checked out.   Answer Question
    The position is grant funded, so there was no opportunity for negotation.

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MIT in July 2013.

Applied online on MIT webiste. First talked to a general HR recruiter. Then set up a skype interview with the professor. The interview was a bit bumpy, but I guess this person must have liked me very much because I ended up his first choice. Just asked standard questions about research experience and career goals, management style, etc.
    Then I got another pushy phone call from the HR person asking me to decide within a day whether to accept or not. I did not like dealing with the HR department but I absolutely love my professor very much.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest challenge/problem you had to solve in your past position?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation whatsoever. Basically they called me in 1 day and made me decide. They had a list to go through so they didn't care. That was quite harsh in my opinion.

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MIT.

I emailed my resume was called within hours for interview. I interviewed with 4 people over 2 weeks and received an offer. They seemed to care more about character than skills. It's a kwirky company they are looking for very smart people who will in.

Interview Questions
    • They asked very personal questions that a little out of line.   Answer Question
    They told me the salary range, I picked a number in the middle and they gave it to me. Raises are very small so get as much as you can up front.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I was first contacted and had a brief phone screen that lasted approximately 20 minutes. They asked me a few basic questions about my interest in the position, my prior experiences, and my salary expectations. I was invited in for an in person interview by email the following week, and I met with the associate director and director of the office I was applying to. Both interviewers were very friendly, and mainly wanted to know what skills I thought would be most valuable and how I believed my previous experience would lend itself to this position.

Interview Questions
    • What three skills would be more important in this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself within the next ten years?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 months - interviewed at MIT.

- Initial contact per Email (included resume, previous work experience, etc.)
    - three recommendation letters were necessary
    - followed by a Skype interview
    - after that personal invitation for an interview
    - The interview was relaxed and easy going. Mostly talking about former work experience and how this matches with the group. Evaluation of possible projects. No in depth scientific questions.

Interview Questions
    • I am getting 8 applications each day. Why should I hire you over the other applicants?   View Answer
    Teaching obligations are negotiable.

Worked for MIT? Contribute to the Community!