MIT Graduate Student Researcher Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.5

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at MIT.

interview process was fairly straightforward. Met with several different professors who asked about previous research experience as well as research interests and goals. Not very behavioral. Just a summary of previous experiences.

Other Interview Reviews for MIT

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MIT.

Submitted application, was invited to an interview weekend, spoke with professors and graduate students, all of whom evaluated me (including, yes the graduate students, even during social situations). Acceptance email was delivered within a week of interview weekend. Most applicants were accepted, with a few exceptions, mainly due to inappropriate behavior during social situations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MIT.

- Initial contact per Email (included resume, previous work experience, etc.)
    - three recommendation letters were necessary
    - followed by a Skype interview
    - after that personal invitation for an interview
    - The interview was relaxed and easy going. Mostly talking about former work experience and how this matches with the group. Evaluation of possible projects. No in depth scientific questions.

Interview Questions
    • I am getting 8 applications each day. Why should I hire you over the other applicants?   View Answer
    Teaching obligations are negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT in October 2011.

Wrote an email with my cv; then skype interview about what they're doing and what I'm going to do there; had to provide 3 references that were checked; got applied after references were spoken to

Interview Questions
    • I knew one person there that was interviewed before; I told him that I could conduct some research on a different university. He obviously told them about it, so they asked me what I would do there and why I would prefer to work here.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate