MIT

Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at MIT

Interview Details – Taken into the office and talked to about my accomplishments and goals. What I'd done in the past and what research I'd taken part in. Overall nothing too out of the ordinary. They did ask in detail about previous research.

Interview Question – What did you do during the research period?   Answer Question

Library Assistant Interview

Library Assistant
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MIT in June 2014.

Interview Details – FIrst round was a phone interview. They emailed telling me they were interested and then we conducted a phone interview with 2 supervisors. Then a second live interview and tour, with introductions.

Interview Question – What was a time you took initiative at work? What was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy. They were very pleasant to work with.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MIT in December 2013.

Interview Details – MIT media labs contacted me after I applied online. I was extremely surprised that they even considered me. I thought I was fortunate to get this response from them. I was scheduled to talk to a staff member from the lab from the biological side. She spoke to me and asked general questions about my PhD, my interests, computer vision and machine learning. I did OK and I didn't expect a callback as a result.

Interview Question – What is my experience in biomedical/retinal computer vision?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Resident Tutor Interview

Graduate Resident Tutor

Interviewed at MIT

Interview Details – Basically you put in an application, went through a vetting process with the Dean of Students. Then you needed to figure out which dorm you were going to work in.

Interview Question – What was your reaction upon hearing there was an annual cross-dressing party.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple

Technical Assistant Interview

Technical Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at MIT.

Interview Details – Very friendly, in-person interview after email communication. I sent an email to the PI after hearing from an acquaintance that they would be searching for TAs, and after a couple of weeks of email correspondence, I had a phone interview with the PI. A few weeks later, I traveled to MIT to have an in-person interview with several members of the lab.

Interview Question – As expected, challenges of research   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at MIT in January 2014.

Interview Details – I initially planned to take a course at MIT, but upon persistence, continued communication and great performance, I was able to get paid for conducting research immediately. I was not technically "interviewed"; it was rather a 6 month long process of staying in touch with and collaborating with (and doing free work for) my desired lab.

Interview Question – My ten year plan. I had never had one, and so I had to devise one.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – My salary was reduced from my asking price; albeit my asking price was high.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Administrative Assistant II

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MIT.

Interview Details – I was hired through a temporary agency for a part time position, had one phone interview and was asked to come in. Then I grew within my department to a permanent position after 6 months.

Interview Question – How long do you plan on staying around?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Associate
Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at MIT in March 2011.

Interview Details – send my CV directly to the Professor. I had three phone interviews in the four months of the process - I applied in March, got the offer in July, and started working in August.

Interview Question – I told them that I had another offer and needed time to decide and they ask me the other company's name.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated my relocation - moving expenses.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Associate

Interviewed at MIT

Interview Details – I applied for an advertized position and was short listed. I was interviewed on Skype as I was in Europe during that time. After the interview, email confirming my acceptance came and work permit documents were soon dispatached within 2 weeks. It took 1 month after administrative processing at US embassy for J1 visa

Interview Question – where do you see yourself in next 5 years   View Answer

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MIT in September 2012.

Interview Details – Interview with PI and then second interview with whole lab. Was asked a range of questions, ranging from career objectives to details about SQL programming. PI was very relaxed and happy to help me get to the US. The culture of the lab was relaxed and it was important to be considered part of the team.

Interview Question – Presentation of previous research and being grilled   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible

Worked for MIT? Contribute to the Community!