MIT Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.9

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT in September 2009.

Interview

I went through five separate interviews before being invited onsite. The onsite interview started off well. I interviewed with the manager of the group. That interview went well. The next interview was with a senior scientist in the group. It was terrible. The guy was shocked that i was black and then proceed to explain to me that this place was not for me!!! MIT lincoln does have diversity issues, which are now apparent to me after interviewing there. After that interview, I interviewed with a guy who works in an different area of the lab. It went well. But the group that I would most likely be working with is the group that is co lead is the second onsite interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Common VLSI coding problems CADENCE   1 Answer

I would not work there for all the money in the world!!!

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT.

Interview

Submitted resume through online application process

Was contacted by phone and after brief discussion of the position arranged an interview acouple days later. The in person interview wa slong and involved the manager then a group interview with coworkers. Topics covered wer both social/customer interation, personal organization and priorization, and lots of hypothetical problem resolution and white boarding questions

Interview Questions

• describe what happens when you type "ping www.google.com"   1 Answer

Fundraiser Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at MIT.

Interview

For higher-level positions, expect to meet with at least 5 people, as well as the entire team (support staff). It will be a full day of meetings. You will be invited to a lunch, where you will be evaluated for your soft skills, personality, and ability to carry a sophisticated a conversation. Be prepared to talk about MIT news and things you might share with a donor.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were given feedback that surprised you? What was the feedback and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

MIT doesn't like to negotiate salaries. Push back and you'll work with HR directly, who likes to set a budget and keep it firm. Though there is room for negotiation, expect it to be tough. There's an unspoken rule that working at MIT is considered to be its own reward.

Undergraduate Admissions Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MIT (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2011.

Interview

Very difficult and technology-oriented interviews - VERY different from most ordinary undergraduate interviews which are normally just about your personal interests and hobbies. Be prepared to talk about why you chose to study a technical discipline, and what things you do outside of class and in your own time to cultivate your interest in engineering. These people are not so concerned with things like athletics and ordinary club activities, they want people who are intrinsically motivated to learn about science and the interview process reflects this.

Interview Questions

• Number theory question about the cardinality of the set of integers vs that of the continuum of real numbers   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at MIT in July 2010.

Interview

Very specific to department and lab. Mine involved talking to all principal investigators regardless of if I would work on projects with them. Slow hiring process - IT has to interview a certain number of people even if they want you.

Interview Questions

• If you mention skills in CV be prepared to talk about them!   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MIT in February 2015.

Interview

Very long and tiring, but worth it in the end since I accepted the job offer! I met with about 8 different people and interviewed with them each individually. Afterwards I spoke with the recruiter regarding the details and he negotiated an offer.

Interview Questions

• Went over the resume and past jobs/internships

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was one offer that I accepted.

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MIT in April 2011.

Interview

I received two interviews by phone. Then a skills test that was not very difficult, and finally 2 more interviews with project managers.

During the interview I had the opportunity to ask questions and take a small tour by the facilities.

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MIT in February 2010.

Interview

submit cv, transcripts, research plan, teaching statement. Wait. Make short list. Interview - presentation, etc.

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT (Boston, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

it was quite nice and informative and i really enjoyed that plus the environment was quite cooperative and comfortable. i made a good impression and i am quite optimistic about the result :)
    i will advise all to be confident and mature about their interview and by being mature i mean to say be prepared mentally and physically for the interview and don't try to be what you are not. its always the best choice.

Interview Questions

• what do you really want to do in your life   1 Answer

Negotiation

be confident and natural

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT (Cincinnati, OH) in November 2008.

Interview

My interviewer was really nice and was very open to taking questions and talked about his own experience at MIT and how it helped him. The questions were interesting and thought provoking, so be sure to get a lot of sleep beforehand so as to be clear-thinking. He did take some notes as I talked.

Interview Questions

• If the government gave you a project to lead how would you assemble your team?   Answer Question