MIT Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

No interview

Negotiation

Received similar offers from multiple universities. Invited for a tour and visiting faculties.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Interview

I was first contacted and had a brief phone screen that lasted approximately 20 minutes. They asked me a few basic questions about my interest in the position, my prior experiences, and my salary expectations. I was invited in for an in person interview by email the following week, and I met with the associate director and director of the office I was applying to. Both interviewers were very friendly, and mainly wanted to know what skills I thought would be most valuable and how I believed my previous experience would lend itself to this position.

Interview Questions

• What three skills would be more important in this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself within the next ten years?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

no formal interview, just emailed the prof and met him to discuss the research

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MIT.

Interview

just get invitation from the professor

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Phone interview about past projects and future plans

Interview Questions

Interview

I applied through MIT's website for a position at the Sloan School of Management. The recruiter contacted me and we set up a day/time for a phone interview. On the day of the interview, I had a private spot scoped out to conduct the call and had all my talking points printed out - I was ready. Then I received a call on my cell, didn't recognize the number, but out of habit, answered it. It was the recruiter calling 1/2 hour early! Needless to say, I was thrown off, but didn't feel as if I could ask her to call back so I went to my spot and proceeded. Basically I was thrown way off my game, didn't stick to my talking points and flubbed the entire interview as a result. Despite this, I still sent a thank you note and follow up email weeks later to inquiry about my status. As you can guess, I was not invited for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked about social media experience, which is a common question. But although I work with the team at my current job who handles social media to manage communications through these channels, the fact that I was not the one who hit the send button was deeemd an unacceptable answer.   Answer Question

Master of Finance Interview

Interview

Normal application process with essays and interviews Interviews are all fit questions such as why this program? Why you? What's your career goal? Give me an example when you lead a team. Give me an example when you are a team player.

Interview Questions

• Not really. What courses/professors you are interested in. Be sure to get familiar with the course name.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MIT.

Interview

Contact the UROP office or look at the UROP office for UROP openings. Directly contact advisors looking for student researchers and arrange a time to meet to learn more about both project and applicant.

Technical Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Applied online directly through MIT job board. Was contacted about a month later and scheduled for a phone interview. Came in for 2 in person interviews and was told my desired salary was far above what they were able to offer for the position, though I also interviewed for a nearly identical position at another university in Cambridge that was willing to work to match my desired salary.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to take on additional responsibilities beyond what is listed in the job description? This was asked during the same conversation where I was informed they were unable to make a competitive salary offer.   Answer Question

PhD Candidate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MIT.

Interview

Applied online using the application portal. This is essentially a standard grad school application.

Interview Questions

• Competition between extremely successful candidates makes chances of getting into MIT less likely.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate.