MIT Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014
Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.9

Technical Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at MIT.

Applied online directly through MIT job board. Was contacted about a month later and scheduled for a phone interview. Came in for 2 in person interviews and was told my desired salary was far above what they were able to offer for the position, though I also interviewed for a nearly identical position at another university in Cambridge that was willing to work to match my desired salary.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to take on additional responsibilities beyond what is listed in the job description? This was asked during the same conversation where I was informed they were unable to make a competitive salary offer.   Answer Question

Health Fitness Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at MIT.

I emailed the director when I heard from a friend that there were openings for new student workers. I scheduled an interview very soon and it was extremely relaxed. I was asked about my fitness experience and general knowledge of equipment (nothing specific, no testing of my knowledge, just general questions to see if they needed to teach me anything). It didn't really feel like an interview. I was told at the end that I could start as soon as I wanted to and I just needed to get my CPR/First Aid certification renewed ASAP. I think it was basically just a meeting to make sure I wasn't a psycho and was able to carry on a normal conversation.

Fundraiser Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MIT.

For higher-level positions, expect to meet with at least 5 people, as well as the entire team (support staff). It will be a full day of meetings. You will be invited to a lunch, where you will be evaluated for your soft skills, personality, and ability to carry a sophisticated a conversation. Be prepared to talk about MIT news and things you might share with a donor.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were given feedback that surprised you? What was the feedback and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    MIT doesn't like to negotiate salaries. Push back and you'll work with HR directly, who likes to set a budget and keep it firm. Though there is room for negotiation, expect it to be tough. There's an unspoken rule that working at MIT is considered to be its own reward.

Research Assistant Interview

Taken into the office and talked to about my accomplishments and goals. What I'd done in the past and what research I'd taken part in. Overall nothing too out of the ordinary. They did ask in detail about previous research.

Graduate Resident Tutor Interview

Basically you put in an application, went through a vetting process with the Dean of Students. Then you needed to figure out which dorm you were going to work in.

Interview Questions
    • What was your reaction upon hearing there was an annual cross-dressing party.   Answer Question
    Simple

Technical Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at MIT.

Very friendly, in-person interview after email communication. I sent an email to the PI after hearing from an acquaintance that they would be searching for TAs, and after a couple of weeks of email correspondence, I had a phone interview with the PI. A few weeks later, I traveled to MIT to have an in-person interview with several members of the lab.

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MIT in June 2014.

FIrst round was a phone interview. They emailed telling me they were interested and then we conducted a phone interview with 2 supervisors. Then a second live interview and tour, with introductions.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you took initiative at work? What was the result?   Answer Question
    Easy. They were very pleasant to work with.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MIT.

I was hired through a temporary agency for a part time position, had one phone interview and was asked to come in. Then I grew within my department to a permanent position after 6 months.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

I applied for an advertized position and was short listed. I was interviewed on Skype as I was in Europe during that time. After the interview, email confirming my acceptance came and work permit documents were soon dispatached within 2 weeks. It took 1 month after administrative processing at US embassy for J1 visa

Interview Questions
    • where do you see yourself in next 5 years   View Answer

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at MIT in May 2014.

Applied for job posted end of April. Phone interview 2 weeks later, on-campus interview 2 weeks after that. Long interview on campus, about 6 hours, including a presentation for a just above entry-level position. It was several weeks before I heard a decision and I had to reach out to them. Was told by one employee that a decision would not be made for another week but received another reply from different employee same day saying they had selected someone. Hmm. Several months later I found out they didn't hire anyone. Would have liked a little more transparency...

Interview Questions
    • Question regarding student development theories. I had not been in grad school for over two years at this point and couldn't recall specific names or publications.   Answer Question

Worked for MIT? Contribute to the Community!