MIT Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.9

Freshman Admission Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Met with an alumni who interviewed me and was friendly. Had the interview at a coffee shop not to far from where I live I connected well with the interviewer as we shared similar backgrounds. Asked pretty basic questions about why I chose MIT, why I chose my respective field, and future career plans.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a scenario that didn't go according to plan   Answer Question

Technical Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Applied online directly through MIT job board. Was contacted about a month later and scheduled for a phone interview. Came in for 2 in person interviews and was told my desired salary was far above what they were able to offer for the position, though I also interviewed for a nearly identical position at another university in Cambridge that was willing to work to match my desired salary.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to take on additional responsibilities beyond what is listed in the job description? This was asked during the same conversation where I was informed they were unable to make a competitive salary offer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

I emailed the director when I heard from a friend that there were openings for new student workers. I scheduled an interview very soon and it was extremely relaxed. I was asked about my fitness experience and general knowledge of equipment (nothing specific, no testing of my knowledge, just general questions to see if they needed to teach me anything). It didn't really feel like an interview. I was told at the end that I could start as soon as I wanted to and I just needed to get my CPR/First Aid certification renewed ASAP. I think it was basically just a meeting to make sure I wasn't a psycho and was able to carry on a normal conversation.

Fundraiser Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

For higher-level positions, expect to meet with at least 5 people, as well as the entire team (support staff). It will be a full day of meetings. You will be invited to a lunch, where you will be evaluated for your soft skills, personality, and ability to carry a sophisticated a conversation. Be prepared to talk about MIT news and things you might share with a donor.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were given feedback that surprised you? What was the feedback and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

MIT doesn't like to negotiate salaries. Push back and you'll work with HR directly, who likes to set a budget and keep it firm. Though there is room for negotiation, expect it to be tough. There's an unspoken rule that working at MIT is considered to be its own reward.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Taken into the office and talked to about my accomplishments and goals. What I'd done in the past and what research I'd taken part in. Overall nothing too out of the ordinary. They did ask in detail about previous research.

Development Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in July 2014.

Interview

Stiff and clinical, people at MIT Sloane are overly professional and have lost the human touch. One feels like one has to fit a mold, and any deviance from the accepted overworked, worker ant norm (even if you are doing your job well, and hitting all performance standards) is looked down upon.

Interview Questions

Interview

Basically you put in an application, went through a vetting process with the Dean of Students. Then you needed to figure out which dorm you were going to work in.

Interview Questions

• What was your reaction upon hearing there was an annual cross-dressing party.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Simple

Technical Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Very friendly, in-person interview after email communication. I sent an email to the PI after hearing from an acquaintance that they would be searching for TAs, and after a couple of weeks of email correspondence, I had a phone interview with the PI. A few weeks later, I traveled to MIT to have an in-person interview with several members of the lab.

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in June 2014.

Interview

FIrst round was a phone interview. They emailed telling me they were interested and then we conducted a phone interview with 2 supervisors. Then a second live interview and tour, with introductions.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you took initiative at work? What was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy. They were very pleasant to work with.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

I was hired through a temporary agency for a part time position, had one phone interview and was asked to come in. Then I grew within my department to a permanent position after 6 months.

Interview Questions

See What MIT Employees Are Saying

Current Devops Engineer

Pros: “Flexible schedules, respect for ideas that are efficient, reliable, or scale-able. Great, highly technical hands-on management in many areas of IT. Opportunity to learn about and...”“Flexible schedules, respect for ideas that are efficient, reliable, or scale-able. Great, highly technical hands-on management in many areas of IT. Opportunity to learn about and implement cutting edge technologies on many facets of IT: network, server/infrastructure, cloud platforms, & storage/virtualization. An enterprise that runs like you would imagine a school of engineers would. Very little bureaucracy in the Information Systems & Technology area.” – Full Review