MIT Interview Questions

Updated Oct 3, 2014
Updated Oct 3, 2014

2.9

Research Assistant Interview

no formal interview, just emailed the prof and met him to discuss the research

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT in September 2013.

I had a brief chat with the senior recruiter who advised me that she would recommend they interview me. About 2 weeks later I was invited to interview with two different people in one on one situations. About a week and a half later I was invited to interview with the Dean. The interviews were quite casual and informative.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT.

Hiring processes at MIT can move slowly and often require several interviews. This is because once someone becomes a part of the community, it is very difficult to get rid of them, so managers want to be really sure someone is a good match. Sometimes managers don't even start looking at resumes until a position has been posted for a few weeks, so don't expect a quick response. Expect to do more than one interview, not just with the hiring manager but with multiple stakeholders. If you are applying for a job working directly with students, you may be interviewed by students, and their opinions are taken seriously.

Interview Questions
    • Everyone at MIT believes it is a very unique place. So, if you act too confident that you will be successful in a job here because you have done a similar job somewhere else, that may be a turn-off. Ask lots of questions and try to talk about how you would tailor your approach to the unique conditions that exist here.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate my salary, but I believe it is common to do so.

Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MIT.

Phone interview, followed by in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • No crazy questions, they just wanted to make sure that I was qualified for the position and my resume checked out.   Answer Question
    The position is grant funded, so there was no opportunity for negotation.

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT in July 2013.

Applied online on MIT webiste. First talked to a general HR recruiter. Then set up a skype interview with the professor. The interview was a bit bumpy, but I guess this person must have liked me very much because I ended up his first choice. Just asked standard questions about research experience and career goals, management style, etc.
    Then I got another pushy phone call from the HR person asking me to decide within a day whether to accept or not. I did not like dealing with the HR department but I absolutely love my professor very much.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest challenge/problem you had to solve in your past position?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation whatsoever. Basically they called me in 1 day and made me decide. They had a list to go through so they didn't care. That was quite harsh in my opinion.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at MIT.

Phone interview about past projects and future plans

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT.

I emailed my resume was called within hours for interview. I interviewed with 4 people over 2 weeks and received an offer. They seemed to care more about character than skills. It's a kwirky company they are looking for very smart people who will in.

Interview Questions
    • They asked very personal questions that a little out of line.   Answer Question
    They told me the salary range, I picked a number in the middle and they gave it to me. Raises are very small so get as much as you can up front.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I was first contacted and had a brief phone screen that lasted approximately 20 minutes. They asked me a few basic questions about my interest in the position, my prior experiences, and my salary expectations. I was invited in for an in person interview by email the following week, and I met with the associate director and director of the office I was applying to. Both interviewers were very friendly, and mainly wanted to know what skills I thought would be most valuable and how I believed my previous experience would lend itself to this position.

Interview Questions
    • What three skills would be more important in this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself within the next ten years?   Answer Question

Master of Finance Interview

Normal application process with essays and interviews
    Interviews are all fit questions such as why this program? Why you? What's your career goal? Give me an example when you lead a team. Give me an example when you are a team player.

Interview Questions
    • Not really. What courses/professors you are interested in. Be sure to get familiar with the course name.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MIT.

- Initial contact per Email (included resume, previous work experience, etc.)
    - three recommendation letters were necessary
    - followed by a Skype interview
    - after that personal invitation for an interview
    - The interview was relaxed and easy going. Mostly talking about former work experience and how this matches with the group. Evaluation of possible projects. No in depth scientific questions.

Interview Questions
    • I am getting 8 applications each day. Why should I hire you over the other applicants?   View Answer
    Teaching obligations are negotiable.