MIT

Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at MIT

Interview Details – no formal interview, just emailed the prof and met him to discuss the research

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at MIT in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was already here as a graduate student so it was easy to get a postdoc because I had enough connections

Negotiation Details – Postdoctoral salaries range from $40-$55 as far as I know. I think there is some negotiation possible but its pretty much fixed by the department and research grants

Technical Assistant Interview

Technical Assistant
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MIT.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by in-person interview.

Interview Question – No crazy questions, they just wanted to make sure that I was qualified for the position and my resume checked out.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The position is grant funded, so there was no opportunity for negotation.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Senior Administrative Assistant
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MIT.

Interview Details – Hiring processes at MIT can move slowly and often require several interviews. This is because once someone becomes a part of the community, it is very difficult to get rid of them, so managers want to be really sure someone is a good match. Sometimes managers don't even start looking at resumes until a position has been posted for a few weeks, so don't expect a quick response. Expect to do more than one interview, not just with the hiring manager but with multiple stakeholders. If you are applying for a job working directly with students, you may be interviewed by students, and their opinions are taken seriously.

Interview Question – Everyone at MIT believes it is a very unique place. So, if you act too confident that you will be successful in a job here because you have done a similar job somewhere else, that may be a turn-off. Ask lots of questions and try to talk about how you would tailor your approach to the unique conditions that exist here.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate my salary, but I believe it is common to do so.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at MIT.

Interview Details – Phone interview about past projects and future plans

Interview Question – nothing difficult   Answer Question

Technical Assistant Interview

Technical Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MIT in March 2011.

Interview Details – Good communication between the HR department and the job poster and the candidates. Affirmative action is in full force at MIT, making it particularly difficult for highly qualified white male candidates to get positions, which is unusual since the gender ratio at MIT is very even and about 80% of the population is not white.

Interview Question – what are your long term goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – very little negotiation allowed, salaries strictly set by HR.

Production Coordinator Interview

Production Coordinator
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MIT.

Interview Details – I emailed my resume was called within hours for interview. I interviewed with 4 people over 2 weeks and received an offer. They seemed to care more about character than skills. It's a kwirky company they are looking for very smart people who will in.

Interview Question – They asked very personal questions that a little out of line.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They told me the salary range, I picked a number in the middle and they gave it to me. Raises are very small so get as much as you can up front.

Very Easy Interview

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at MIT in April 2009.

Interview Details – I went to MIT for my undergraduate degree, so the application process was fairly straightforward. I emphasized heavily my hands-on research and internship experience, which I thought would be valuable going into experimental research. I did not receive any feedback on my application packet, just an acceptance letter. I was in close contact with faculty in my prospective department throughout the application process.

Interview Question – There were no particularly difficult questions on the application; it was a straightforward graduate admissions package.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. I was awarded a 1-year fellowship as part of the admissions package, which was extremely helpful because I was not awarded a national fellowship (NSF, NDSEG).

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

Interviewed at MIT

Interview Details – I was first contacted and had a brief phone screen that lasted approximately 20 minutes. They asked me a few basic questions about my interest in the position, my prior experiences, and my salary expectations. I was invited in for an in person interview by email the following week, and I met with the associate director and director of the office I was applying to. Both interviewers were very friendly, and mainly wanted to know what skills I thought would be most valuable and how I believed my previous experience would lend itself to this position.

Interview Questions

MIT Media Lab Undergraduate Researcher Interview

MIT Media Lab Undergraduate Researcher
Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at MIT in April 2012.

Interview Details – Earlier in the Spring, I emailed a bunch of labs in the Media Lab for a UROP for the summer. I received very few responses, one of which was from the lab I worked in, which told me they didn't have any open positions, but they would email me if anything came up. The last day before the UROP application deadline, I emailed them again, and they had an open position. I went in that day, and they gave me the job after a few talks with the professor and the grad student I would be working with. So I got the position.

Interview Question – What do you know about big data?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate, as they were not paying me - it was through the MIT UROP office, which has a set wage.