MIT Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I was first contacted and had a brief phone screen that lasted approximately 20 minutes. They asked me a few basic questions about my interest in the position, my prior experiences, and my salary expectations. I was invited in for an in person interview by email the following week, and I met with the associate director and director of the office I was applying to. Both interviewers were very friendly, and mainly wanted to know what skills I thought would be most valuable and how I believed my previous experience would lend itself to this position.

Interview Questions
    • What three skills would be more important in this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself within the next ten years?   Answer Question

MIT Media Lab Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at MIT in April 2012.

Earlier in the Spring, I emailed a bunch of labs in the Media Lab for a UROP for the summer. I received very few responses, one of which was from the lab I worked in, which told me they didn't have any open positions, but they would email me if anything came up. The last day before the UROP application deadline, I emailed them again, and they had an open position. I went in that day, and they gave me the job after a few talks with the professor and the grad student I would be working with. So I got the position.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate, as they were not paying me - it was through the MIT UROP office, which has a set wage.

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at MIT in May 2010.

The interviewer is very friendly. Personal attitude is a critical criteria during the selection process. I am a easy-going person and I can get along with most people. They are looking for person who pays attention to details, responsible, able to work independently.

Student Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at MIT in February 2012.

I was applying for a student position at MIT. I was interviewed by a graduate who worked in cognitive science. I was in high school at the time and had no prior interview experience. I thought the whole experience was a bit awkward; we didn't find too much common ground to talk about.

Master of Finance Interview

Normal application process with essays and interviews
    Interviews are all fit questions such as why this program? Why you? What's your career goal? Give me an example when you lead a team. Give me an example when you are a team player.

Interview Questions
    • Not really. What courses/professors you are interested in. Be sure to get familiar with the course name.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 months - interviewed at MIT.

- Initial contact per Email (included resume, previous work experience, etc.)
    - three recommendation letters were necessary
    - followed by a Skype interview
    - after that personal invitation for an interview
    - The interview was relaxed and easy going. Mostly talking about former work experience and how this matches with the group. Evaluation of possible projects. No in depth scientific questions.

Interview Questions
    • I am getting 8 applications each day. Why should I hire you over the other applicants?   View Answer
    Teaching obligations are negotiable.

Technical Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MIT in May 2008.

Hiring and interview happened informally at a conference and then at MIT

DId not negotiate. Standard salary, work.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MIT in June 2011.

Easy get-to-know you interview process, It was informative. It told me about what the project was about.

Very easy. Easy back and forth. I brought up having a salary. Then he found something reasonable given my background experience.

Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MIT in August 2012.

I was hired for a biomedical research position in a professor's lab. My hiring process seemed very informal, especially compared with my interviews for industry positions and former job at a company. A week after applying, the PI contacted me, and we had an agreeable conversation over the phone. About a week later, he arranged for some other folks in the lab to meet me, show me around and take me out for lunch. None of the questions were very difficult and I was given the impression that an offer was likely given that I was invited in in the first place. Things moved quickly with an offer; I received a verbal offer from the PI, and he asked for my thoughts, got a sense that I seemed likely to accept, and sent me a formal offer a week later. I was working in the lab 2 weeks after my in-person visit. The process was curiously simple, and I would caution others not to assume this is a reliable pattern from lab to lab.

On the downside of "informal", starting at the lab was a bit awkward. On the plus side, a grad student did take initiative to help me get situated, and someone had put together a welcome packet- more than my others before me had gotten. But there really wasn't much by way of official "orientation" or a clear message or timeline concerning what I needed to do to appropriately integrate into the lab.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing stands out. Nobody really went for the tough questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't really manage to negotiate.

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MIT in September 2011.

I was brought in for a temp to perm position. This job required you to be personable, so they just wanted to talk and get to know me. The ladies I worked with were very easy to talk to, offered me water or coffee, and generally made me feel very comfortable. The interview lasted about an hour in which they asked about my resume and past experiences and how they were applicable to the position.

Interview Questions
    • They did not ask any of the awkward interview questions. Everything was very straightforward. They asked about my resume and past experiences and how they were applicable to the position.   Answer Question