MIT Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.9

Program Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT in September 2013.

Interview

I had a brief chat with the senior recruiter who advised me that she would recommend they interview me. About 2 weeks later I was invited to interview with two different people in one on one situations. About a week and a half later I was invited to interview with the Dean. The interviews were quite casual and informative.

Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Phone interview, followed by in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• No crazy questions, they just wanted to make sure that I was qualified for the position and my resume checked out.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The position is grant funded, so there was no opportunity for negotation.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Hiring processes at MIT can move slowly and often require several interviews. This is because once someone becomes a part of the community, it is very difficult to get rid of them, so managers want to be really sure someone is a good match. Sometimes managers don't even start looking at resumes until a position has been posted for a few weeks, so don't expect a quick response. Expect to do more than one interview, not just with the hiring manager but with multiple stakeholders. If you are applying for a job working directly with students, you may be interviewed by students, and their opinions are taken seriously.

Interview Questions

• Everyone at MIT believes it is a very unique place. So, if you act too confident that you will be successful in a job here because you have done a similar job somewhere else, that may be a turn-off. Ask lots of questions and try to talk about how you would tailor your approach to the unique conditions that exist here.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my salary, but I believe it is common to do so.

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in July 2013.

Interview

Applied online on MIT webiste. First talked to a general HR recruiter. Then set up a skype interview with the professor. The interview was a bit bumpy, but I guess this person must have liked me very much because I ended up his first choice. Just asked standard questions about research experience and career goals, management style, etc.
    Then I got another pushy phone call from the HR person asking me to decide within a day whether to accept or not. I did not like dealing with the HR department but I absolutely love my professor very much.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge/problem you had to solve in your past position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation whatsoever. Basically they called me in 1 day and made me decide. They had a list to go through so they didn't care. That was quite harsh in my opinion.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was selected for a phone interview. From the phone interview I was brought in as a finalist for a 5+ hour interview (they provided breakfast and lunch). I was not selected but they did call to tell me directly, which I appreciated. It was a pleasant process and an impressive institution.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or scripted- It was all very conversational with the different parties involved. I was a little daunted by the 5 hour+ interview ahead of time, but it was an overall enjoyable process.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Phone interview about past projects and future plans

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I emailed my resume was called within hours for interview. I interviewed with 4 people over 2 weeks and received an offer. They seemed to care more about character than skills. It's a kwirky company they are looking for very smart people who will in.

Interview Questions

• They asked very personal questions that a little out of line.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They told me the salary range, I picked a number in the middle and they gave it to me. Raises are very small so get as much as you can up front.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Interview

I was first contacted and had a brief phone screen that lasted approximately 20 minutes. They asked me a few basic questions about my interest in the position, my prior experiences, and my salary expectations. I was invited in for an in person interview by email the following week, and I met with the associate director and director of the office I was applying to. Both interviewers were very friendly, and mainly wanted to know what skills I thought would be most valuable and how I believed my previous experience would lend itself to this position.

Interview Questions

• What three skills would be more important in this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself within the next ten years?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MIT in February 2013.

Interview

I applied for Mechanical Engineering department for Master degree.

I got email for scheduling Skype interview from the faculty and next week I had interview with the faculty.

The faculty interviewer is the one I referred on my SOP as whom I want work with.

But he told me that that was just general interview for whole departmental level, not just for his lab.

He told me that they don't usually interview like this for Master applicant in their department but policy was changed from that year.

The interview was really casual around 30 mins interview in very casual atmosphere.

I just briefly talked about my prior research experiences and he asked some questions.

It took more than 2 months to be declined and thought I was on the wait list.

Hope this would be helpful for you guys!

Interview Questions

• When is the most frustrated moment in your research experience?   Answer Question
    • When is the most enjoyable moment in your research experience?   Answer Question

Master of Finance Interview

Interview

Normal application process with essays and interviews
    Interviews are all fit questions such as why this program? Why you? What's your career goal? Give me an example when you lead a team. Give me an example when you are a team player.

Interview Questions

• Not really. What courses/professors you are interested in. Be sure to get familiar with the course name.   Answer Question