MIT

Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.9

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT.

I emailed my resume was called within hours for interview. I interviewed with 4 people over 2 weeks and received an offer. They seemed to care more about character than skills. It's a kwirky company they are looking for very smart people who will in.

Interview Questions
    • They asked very personal questions that a little out of line.   Answer Question
    They told me the salary range, I picked a number in the middle and they gave it to me. Raises are very small so get as much as you can up front.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I was first contacted and had a brief phone screen that lasted approximately 20 minutes. They asked me a few basic questions about my interest in the position, my prior experiences, and my salary expectations. I was invited in for an in person interview by email the following week, and I met with the associate director and director of the office I was applying to. Both interviewers were very friendly, and mainly wanted to know what skills I thought would be most valuable and how I believed my previous experience would lend itself to this position.

Interview Questions
    • What three skills would be more important in this position?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself within the next ten years?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant At MIT Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MIT in February 2013.

I applied for Mechanical Engineering department for Master degree.

I got email for scheduling Skype interview from the faculty and next week I had interview with the faculty.

The faculty interviewer is the one I referred on my SOP as whom I want work with.

But he told me that that was just general interview for whole departmental level, not just for his lab.

He told me that they don't usually interview like this for Master applicant in their department but policy was changed from that year.

The interview was really casual around 30 mins interview in very casual atmosphere.

I just briefly talked about my prior research experiences and he asked some questions.

It took more than 2 months to be declined and thought I was on the wait list.

Hope this would be helpful for you guys!

Interview Questions
    • When is the most frustrated moment in your research experience?   Answer Question
    • When is the most enjoyable moment in your research experience?   Answer Question

Master of Finance Interview

Normal application process with essays and interviews
    Interviews are all fit questions such as why this program? Why you? What's your career goal? Give me an example when you lead a team. Give me an example when you are a team player.

Interview Questions
    • Not really. What courses/professors you are interested in. Be sure to get familiar with the course name.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MIT.

- Initial contact per Email (included resume, previous work experience, etc.)
    - three recommendation letters were necessary
    - followed by a Skype interview
    - after that personal invitation for an interview
    - The interview was relaxed and easy going. Mostly talking about former work experience and how this matches with the group. Evaluation of possible projects. No in depth scientific questions.

Interview Questions
    • I am getting 8 applications each day. Why should I hire you over the other applicants?   View Answer
    Teaching obligations are negotiable.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at MIT in September 2012.

Interview with PI and then second interview with whole lab. Was asked a range of questions, ranging from career objectives to details about SQL programming. PI was very relaxed and happy to help me get to the US. The culture of the lab was relaxed and it was important to be considered part of the team.

No negotiation possible

Technical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MIT in August 2012.

I was hired for a biomedical research position in a professor's lab. My hiring process seemed very informal, especially compared with my interviews for industry positions and former job at a company. A week after applying, the PI contacted me, and we had an agreeable conversation over the phone. About a week later, he arranged for some other folks in the lab to meet me, show me around and take me out for lunch. None of the questions were very difficult and I was given the impression that an offer was likely given that I was invited in in the first place. Things moved quickly with an offer; I received a verbal offer from the PI, and he asked for my thoughts, got a sense that I seemed likely to accept, and sent me a formal offer a week later. I was working in the lab 2 weeks after my in-person visit. The process was curiously simple, and I would caution others not to assume this is a reliable pattern from lab to lab.

On the downside of "informal", starting at the lab was a bit awkward. On the plus side, a grad student did take initiative to help me get situated, and someone had put together a welcome packet- more than my others before me had gotten. But there really wasn't much by way of official "orientation" or a clear message or timeline concerning what I needed to do to appropriately integrate into the lab.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing stands out. Nobody really went for the tough questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't really manage to negotiate.

MIT Media Lab Undergraduate Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT in April 2012.

Earlier in the Spring, I emailed a bunch of labs in the Media Lab for a UROP for the summer. I received very few responses, one of which was from the lab I worked in, which told me they didn't have any open positions, but they would email me if anything came up. The last day before the UROP application deadline, I emailed them again, and they had an open position. I went in that day, and they gave me the job after a few talks with the professor and the grad student I would be working with. So I got the position.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate, as they were not paying me - it was through the MIT UROP office, which has a set wage.

Student Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT in February 2012.

I was applying for a student position at MIT. I was interviewed by a graduate who worked in cognitive science. I was in high school at the time and had no prior interview experience. I thought the whole experience was a bit awkward; we didn't find too much common ground to talk about.

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT in February 2012.

it was quite nice and informative and i really enjoyed that plus the environment was quite cooperative and comfortable. i made a good impression and i am quite optimistic about the result :)
    i will advise all to be confident and mature about their interview and by being mature i mean to say be prepared mentally and physically for the interview and don't try to be what you are not. its always the best choice.

Interview Questions
    • what do you really want to do in your life   View Answer
    be confident and natural