MIT Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

I was hired through a temporary agency for a part time position, had one phone interview and was asked to come in. Then I grew within my department to a permanent position after 6 months.

Interview Questions

Interview

I applied for an advertized position and was short listed. I was interviewed on Skype as I was in Europe during that time. After the interview, email confirming my acceptance came and work permit documents were soon dispatached within 2 weeks. It took 1 month after administrative processing at US embassy for J1 visa

Interview Questions

• where do you see yourself in next 5 years   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MIT in May 2014.

Interview

Applied for job posted end of April. Phone interview 2 weeks later, on-campus interview 2 weeks after that. Long interview on campus, about 6 hours, including a presentation for a just above entry-level position. It was several weeks before I heard a decision and I had to reach out to them. Was told by one employee that a decision would not be made for another week but received another reply from different employee same day saying they had selected someone. Hmm. Several months later I found out they didn't hire anyone. Would have liked a little more transparency...

Interview Questions

• Question regarding student development theories. I had not been in grad school for over two years at this point and couldn't recall specific names or publications.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Easy to communicate with hiring team, very personable. Thorough, 3 step interview process beginning with support staff and ending with upper level faculty and administration. All my questions were answered.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to get the starting salary I asked for, but the Institute is not generous with raises.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in January 2014.

Interview

I initially planned to take a course at MIT, but upon persistence, continued communication and great performance, I was able to get paid for conducting research immediately. I was not technically "interviewed"; it was rather a 6 month long process of staying in touch with and collaborating with (and doing free work for) my desired lab.

Interview Questions

• My ten year plan. I had never had one, and so I had to devise one.   1 Answer

Negotiation

My salary was reduced from my asking price; albeit my asking price was high.

Human Resources Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MIT.

Interview

Pros: -Speedy response after applying online. I received a call for a phone screen about 1 week after applying online -Was invited in for an in-person interview less than a week after the phone screen -Interview was very informative and gave great insight to the culture and the people itself -People in the department were extremely friendly Cons: -Was told by the recruiter that my salary expectations were within the range but was told during the in-person interview that they were not anywhere near their range -The in-person interview with director was extremely long; almost half the work day -Even after sending a thank you & checking in a week later, I never received any sort of response or follow up as to the status and whether or not they had filled the position with another candidate. Very unprofessional, especially for an HR department.

Interview Questions

• I wouldn't consider this the most difficult, but they did as how to handle certain employee situations (performance issues, compensation, etc)   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Interview

Interview

Hiring process was very convenient. The interview was very technical and positive.

Negotiation

NA

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

MIT media labs contacted me after I applied online. I was extremely surprised that they even considered me. I thought I was fortunate to get this response from them. I was scheduled to talk to a staff member from the lab from the biological side. She spoke to me and asked general questions about my PhD, my interests, computer vision and machine learning. I did OK and I didn't expect a callback as a result.

Interview Questions

• What is my experience in biomedical/retinal computer vision?   Answer Question

Data Analyst/Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

Very straight forward, quick and to-the-point. Typical questions were asked including current employment, why you would want to work for the company, three best qualities, three worst qualities, What would your friends and coworkers say about you. Hired upon completion of interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your three best qualities   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MIT in December 2013.

Interview

Like non-profits companies it does take a while to go through the process. You need to be patient throughout the entire process. Even when they offer the job you need to have the background check to make it official. That process is a very long two weeks.

Interview Questions

• They verbally offered job but not official until background check which takes 2 weeks.   Answer Question