MIT

Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator
Cambridge, MA

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MIT in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was slow, but my department was thorough. I had a phone interview, in person interview, then a meeting with the program director. MIT has a fragmented HR department, so it was difficult to get answers to questions that were HR related. Also, it was over a month between when I interviewed and got an offer for the position.

Interview Question – How would you deal with working in a small office environment?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate and regret that. Be sure to try!

Student Interview

Student
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MIT in February 2012.

Interview Details – it was quite nice and informative and i really enjoyed that plus the environment was quite cooperative and comfortable. i made a good impression and i am quite optimistic about the result :)
i will advise all to be confident and mature about their interview and by being mature i mean to say be prepared mentally and physically for the interview and don't try to be what you are not. its always the best choice.

Interview Question – what do you really want to do in your life   View Answer

Negotiation Details – be confident and natural

Undergraduate Research Intern Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at MIT in June 2011.

Interview Details – The phone interview is great!!! He asked me about my experience and different programs I can use. Overall, it's not a bad interview.

Interview Question – How would you handle the project if you work independently?   Answer Question

Technical Associate - Sponsored Research Staff (Temporary) Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MIT in January 2012.

Interview Details – I spoke with the supervisor while a fellow lab researcher listened in, and later the director of the lab group stopped by very briefly. They mostly asked me questions about my technical background based off of my submitted resume, and there was also a simple, open-ended question about the experimental problem the job entailed to assess my thoughts and approaches. Later, I was shown an experiment in progress similar to what I would be working on. The interview was mostly informational in nature, and took 30 minutes total.

Interview Question – Suppose the driver of a push-button ignition vehicle finds his/her vehicle is suddenly accelerating out of control. What would their first reaction be? What improvements need to be made to today's systems to address this?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MIT in February 2009.

Interview Details – Interview about prior research experience and academic interest. Discussions about future funding opportunities in various labs affiliated with the PhD program.

Interview Question – Discuss: how the brain processes information.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation: this is an interview for a PhD program

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at MIT in March 2009.

Interview Details – Based on prior presentations at conferences, one on one interview and advisor recommendations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – As a postdoctoral candidate during a down economy, there was no negotiating.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Administrative Assistant II
Cambridge, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at MIT in February 2011.

Interview Details – Rule #1: Sign up with a staffing agency. Find out what agencies the school you want to work at utilizes and sign up with them. This was the key component of getting the great position that I have. The agency will help you tweak your resume, etc. Working with them really serves as a pre-interview.

MIT is looking for people who know their stuff. Make sure you have some background in Academia and emphasize your ability to work cross-departmentally. Eventually everyone works together so you have to be a team player.

Interview Question – Do you really expect to make between x & y dollars?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I recommend finding out how much other people in a similar position make before you accept a salary offer because they like to low ball you. You can also negotiate other perks like "flex-time" in the summer and flexible hours during regular work weeks. Make sure the manager is very clear in what your job responsibilities will be before you accept the job. That way, if they want to add onto your duties later you can make sure you are compensated properly.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MIT in May 2010.

Interview Details – It was an online application and telephone interview

Interview Questions

Engineering Interview

Cambridge, MA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MIT in July 2010.

Interview Details – First I was called in for 1:1 interview with the professor. It still consisted of me giving a presentation but only to him. Then we talked about my experieces etc. Overall, it was just a nice conversation.
Then he said that he'd like me to come in and give an official presentation to the whole lab, and that was ok as well. After that there was a lunch and dinner interview with the lab members, which was still just talking...

Interview Question – why do you want to join our lab?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great

Executive Director Interview

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MIT in June 2010.

Interview Details – Experience, management style, personality and past salary matter. Especially past salary.

Interview Question – salary requirements   View Answer