MIT Interview Questions & Reviews

81 interviews

2.9

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at MIT in December 2011.

Application for admission to graduate school needs to be completed online. It requires GRE score, 3 letters of recommendation (minimum), TOEFL score, SOP (statement of purpose). The deadline for submitting the online application is around December 1 for mechanical engineering department. Once the application is submitted, it is reviewed by the admission committee. If successful in getting admission into graduate school, one can talk to professors in their field of interest to join their group as a research assistant.

Interview Questions
    • Getting admitted into graduate school is the hardest part   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MIT in October 2011.

Wrote an email with my cv; then skype interview about what they're doing and what I'm going to do there; had to provide 3 references that were checked; got applied after references were spoken to

Interview Questions
    • I knew one person there that was interviewed before; I told him that I could conduct some research on a different university. He obviously told them about it, so they asked me what I would do there and why I would prefer to work here.   View Answer
    Didn't negotiate

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MIT in June 2011.

The interview process was slow, but my department was thorough. I had a phone interview, in person interview, then a meeting with the program director. MIT has a fragmented HR department, so it was difficult to get answers to questions that were HR related. Also, it was over a month between when I interviewed and got an offer for the position.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with working in a small office environment?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate and regret that. Be sure to try!

Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at MIT in February 2012.

it was quite nice and informative and i really enjoyed that plus the environment was quite cooperative and comfortable. i made a good impression and i am quite optimistic about the result :)
    i will advise all to be confident and mature about their interview and by being mature i mean to say be prepared mentally and physically for the interview and don't try to be what you are not. its always the best choice.

Interview Questions
    • what do you really want to do in your life   View Answer
    be confident and natural

Undergraduate Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at MIT in June 2011.

The phone interview is great!!! He asked me about my experience and different programs I can use. Overall, it's not a bad interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle the project if you work independently?   Answer Question

Technical Associate - Sponsored Research Staff (Temporary) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MIT in January 2012.

I spoke with the supervisor while a fellow lab researcher listened in, and later the director of the lab group stopped by very briefly. They mostly asked me questions about my technical background based off of my submitted resume, and there was also a simple, open-ended question about the experimental problem the job entailed to assess my thoughts and approaches. Later, I was shown an experiment in progress similar to what I would be working on. The interview was mostly informational in nature, and took 30 minutes total.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose the driver of a push-button ignition vehicle finds his/her vehicle is suddenly accelerating out of control. What would their first reaction be? What improvements need to be made to today's systems to address this?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at MIT in February 2009.

Interview about prior research experience and academic interest. Discussions about future funding opportunities in various labs affiliated with the PhD program.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss: how the brain processes information.   View Answer
    No negotiation: this is an interview for a PhD program

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at MIT in March 2009.

Based on prior presentations at conferences, one on one interview and advisor recommendations.

Interview Questions
    • How did you decide on studying physics?   View Answer
    • Why do you want to move to the Boston area?   View Answer
    As a postdoctoral candidate during a down economy, there was no negotiating.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at MIT in February 2011.

Rule #1: Sign up with a staffing agency. Find out what agencies the school you want to work at utilizes and sign up with them. This was the key component of getting the great position that I have. The agency will help you tweak your resume, etc. Working with them really serves as a pre-interview.

MIT is looking for people who know their stuff. Make sure you have some background in Academia and emphasize your ability to work cross-departmentally. Eventually everyone works together so you have to be a team player.

Interview Questions
    • Do you really expect to make between x & y dollars?   View Answer
    I recommend finding out how much other people in a similar position make before you accept a salary offer because they like to low ball you. You can also negotiate other perks like "flex-time" in the summer and flexible hours during regular work weeks. Make sure the manager is very clear in what your job responsibilities will be before you accept the job. That way, if they want to add onto your duties later you can make sure you are compensated properly.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at MIT in May 2010.

It was an online application and telephone interview