MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.8

Technical Staff Interview

I discovered MIT Lincoln Laboratory at a job fair hosted by my university and signed up for an interview. I was not asked to participate in a phone screening, but was instead invited to the lab for a full interview loop. I was also asked to give a ~30-minute presentation of my academic work, partly to see if I was a good technical fit but also to gauge my presentation skills.

Interview Questions
    • There were some good technical questions asked during my presentation, but they were very domain-specific and not worth repeating here. However, the obvious conclusion is that you should be very well prepared when you present.   Answer Question

Technical Staff Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory.

The first interview was with a recruiter on campus during the college career fair. After talking to me for about 10 minutes and quickly looking through my resume, an interview was scheduled for the next day. During that interview I was mostly asked to explain my research and how it might be relevant to work done at LL. I was then advised to fill out an online application, being sure to note my school code, and apply for all positions that show up when searching for my major. I was contacted by a different employee a month later, during which I inquired about the status of my application multiple times with the HR and the recruiter. This was a phone interview, where again I was asked about my research, as well as various specifics of my background--including course work, programming experience, etc. At the end of the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted about scheduling an onsite interview, and sure enough, about a week after the phone interview someone from the HR contacted me about scheduling my visit. The scheduling was very smooth, with LL putting nearly all travel expenses (car rental, hotel, airfare) on their company card, and I got reimbursed for the remaining expenses very promptly. The onsite interview lasted a day and a half: I talked to people from 3 different groups, including the group leaders as well as staff at my level, and I also gave a presentation about my research on the first day. As a side note, I was asked to send my abstract at the last minute (same day as my flight), and also email my slides, again at the last minute (the night before), so make sure you check your email frequently before the interview. Most of the people I talked to were very nice, and didn't grill me--mostly I was asked about my research projects, experience, and interests. There were a couple of cliched questions such as "where do you see yourself in five years" as well. The group I interviewed with on the second day was more intense, as apparently none of the group members were able to attend my talk, and as a result I had to essentially give my talk in five minutes over and over again (I admit it got tiring and annoying at some point). One of the group members asked me a detailed technical question--the only one during my interview process--about the Fourier transform of the signal coming from a radar detector under some conditions (I don't remember exactly). I can't do Fourier transforms in my head and I didn't answer that very well. Some of the people I interviewed with asked about my national origin, even though I believe that it's illegal of them to do so. I am not sure why they were asking that, I suppose out of curiosity. My application was rejected a month later, even though I kept contacting the HR contact person periodically to check up on the status of things, and even informing them of another job offer I received did not speed things up. Overall, LL made a very positive impression on me, but I have no idea why their hiring process is so slow, and why it takes them so long to reject an applicant.

Interview Questions
    • What is the Fourier transform of the signal coming from a radar detector under some conditions (I don't remember exactly)?   Answer Question

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Response

Aug 8, 2014Recruiting Manager

We are pleased that you were overall favorably impressed. It is a concern that you were asked about your country of national origin. The Laboratory is fully committed to legal and regulatory ... More

Alarm Control Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory.

Initially contacted by HR recruiter. The first interview was with a Human Resources rep, basically discussing the details of the job and info about yourself. Second interview was with hiring manager and a few supervisors. The lab seemed to have an exciting work environment and motivating work culture. They have a very professional management team and treat applicants very well. Third interview was with the department head and assistant department head. This interview was a little more intense, with a lot more questions. They do take quite a bit of time in the selection process, but that is necessary in hiring the best quality applicants. Overall it was a good interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • What criticism have you received from coworkers in the past?   Answer Question
    HR called to inform me of the pay they were considering. I counter-offered with a little bit more and they met in the middle. Good negotiation process. Official offer was over the phone and hard copies in the mail the next day.

Assistant Staff Interview

Interview process is meeting groups leaders, technical staff, and assistant staff. Last 1/2 a day.

Interview Questions
    • A technical staff asked a question, and it turned out that she has little knowledge of it.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory.

Had one phone interview and a short on site interview. Very easy.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was overly difficult or unexpected. Typical interview.   Answer Question
    all negotiations were done through the contractor

Summer Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, NC

interviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory in October 2013.

I had two interviewers. One from HR and one from a group in the Lab. The interview has both it's good and bad parts. They take the time to get to know you personally, but still stress that element of getting to know you personally. They give good tips about your resume, presentation, and current research.

Interview Questions
    • How can you relate your current research to your interest and previous research. (I did research in different areas)   Answer Question

Summer Research Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory in October 2013.

I applied through my school. I was interviewed by an HR and technical staff. Then I was interviewed by a member of the specific group. Process took about a month.

Interview Questions
    • How does you research now related to your previous research and how can it be applied to one another.   Answer Question
    No negotiation but compensation was good.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory.

Gave resume when they were on campus. Phone call to talk about the type of work available, then heard back later that I had been accepted for the interview. I did not have any sort of programming or algorithms questions, just asked about prior experience. Interview are conducted by division, mine was division 10.

Technical Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory in September 2013.

Had one phone interview. Very friendly bunch. They explained their project thoroughly and were available to answer questions both during and after the interview. Only a few open ended questions asking me to discuss my expierence in the field. The HR department worked very quickly to get an offer out to me when I had another deadline approaching.

Interview Questions
    • Only asked two questions, just open ended ones asking for me to talk about my experience in the field.   Answer Question

Had another offer that was equally as good, just had a gut feeling that it was slightly better for me at this point in my life. I was really dissapointed to have to turn down Lincoln Labs, because I think it would have been great.

Assistant Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT Lincoln Laboratory.

Initially, a brief phone interview.

Scheduled for a half-day morning interview, ran long past lunch into the afternoon:
    1. Met with HR - I believe this was only for your benefit (not evaluated)
    2. Met with Group Leader(s) and future co-workers (1-on-1 with 3-4 people)
    3. Informal Lunch with a group
    4. Exit meeting with HR - how it went, etc.

Interview Questions
    • The types of questions asked were about how much and the type of the work I did on projects in college. Also, about how I attack problems. The manager was very interested in how much I can actually accomplish working on a task.   View Answer
    I was anxious to accept my offer, and took it as is over the phone. In retrospect I should have negotiated to get a slightly higher salary. Future promotions are strictly percentage based, so the starting salary is very important - even a relatively modest increase will mean quite a bit in the long run.