MIT Technical Assistant Interview Questions

2.4

Technical Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at MIT.

Interview

Very friendly, in-person interview after email communication. I sent an email to the PI after hearing from an acquaintance that they would be searching for TAs, and after a couple of weeks of email correspondence, I had a phone interview with the PI. A few weeks later, I traveled to MIT to have an in-person interview with several members of the lab.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MIT

Technical Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Phone interview, followed by in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• No crazy questions, they just wanted to make sure that I was qualified for the position and my resume checked out.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The position is grant funded, so there was no opportunity for negotation.

Technical Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in August 2012.

Interview

I was hired for a biomedical research position in a professor's lab. My hiring process seemed very informal, especially compared with my interviews for industry positions and former job at a company. A week after applying, the PI contacted me, and we had an agreeable conversation over the phone. About a week later, he arranged for some other folks in the lab to meet me, show me around and take me out for lunch. None of the questions were very difficult and I was given the impression that an offer was likely given that I was invited in in the first place. Things moved quickly with an offer; I received a verbal offer from the PI, and he asked for my thoughts, got a sense that I seemed likely to accept, and sent me a formal offer a week later. I was working in the lab 2 weeks after my in-person visit. The process was curiously simple, and I would caution others not to assume this is a reliable pattern from lab to lab.

On the downside of "informal", starting at the lab was a bit awkward. On the plus side, a grad student did take initiative to help me get situated, and someone had put together a welcome packet- more than my others before me had gotten. But there really wasn't much by way of official "orientation" or a clear message or timeline concerning what I needed to do to appropriately integrate into the lab.

Interview Questions

• Nothing stands out. Nobody really went for the tough questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't really manage to negotiate.

Technical Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MIT (Cambridge, MA) in May 2011.

Interview

I first met the postdoc I was hired to work for at a lab meeting at Children's Hospital Boston. I was recruited by a PI at MGH, and she openly protested and offered me a position on the spot.

I had a formal interview and another post-doc decided he wanted to have me work for him as well, so I ended up having two separate projects to work for full time (in hindsight, this was a mistake).

The interview itself was pretty informal. I was asked about what research areas I was interested in, what my goals were, and the usual interview banter. The PI of the lab later told me that one of my recommenders (I didn't know it at the time, but a collaborating PI) said he'd "have to be insane not to hire me". Lesson learned: never underestimate the value/power of what others say about you (both positive, and negative).

Interview Questions

• What is your life's ambition   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had just graduated college and was happy to have a job. At the time, (at least from my perspective) I wasn't in any position to be negotiating terms.

Technical Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MIT in March 2011.

Interview

Good communication between the HR department and the job poster and the candidates. Affirmative action is in full force at MIT, making it particularly difficult for highly qualified white male candidates to get positions, which is unusual since the gender ratio at MIT is very even and about 80% of the population is not white.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very little negotiation allowed, salaries strictly set by HR.