MITRE

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.9

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MITRE.

I submitted my resume and got a call back pretty quickly for a phone screening. I had just one interview, but my situation was unique. After the interview, there is a separate application for a employment (if I recall correctly). They said that they had "expressed interest" in extending an offer. The application is also used to determine your salary.

Interview Questions
They make the offer based on your salary and I did not negotiate (not sure if I could have negotiated much).

Other Interview Reviews for MITRE

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MITRE.

Very friendly, not terribly technical, but clear they want solid talent. Taken into a room with several managers--some from the hiring department, others from other departments of interest, where we had a pretty cordial discussion of experience, abilities, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Give a presentation on a topic of your own interest/experience.   Answer Question
    Minimal negotiation, as it was an internship.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MITRE.

Contacted group with request for internship, got immediate response, forwarded resume, contacted about open position/project a month later.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MITRE.

My school had a connection with MITRE and I sent my resume. After 2 months I was emailed to schedule an interview with a software engineer. The questions that he asked, I did not answer too well. I was not expecting his definitions and compare/contrast questions about programming on the first interview. I thought I failed.
    I was called a week later to schedule an interview with 6 people in a row at the MITRE campus. This was scary, but the actual interview was rather repetitive. I told repeated my story about myself several times and did not have much of a test of my skills. Where I did show my skills, I just tried my best to explain my thinking and I did not finish any of their questions in the time limit.

Object oriented Programming stuff is Important to know! definitions!

Interview Questions
    • You have 5 jars with each a set of beans. Four of the jars have beans that weigh 10g and one jar has beans that weigh 9g. Using a scale with only one weighing, find the jar with the 9g beans.   View Answer
    During my 6 interviews, in speaking with HR, I was asked how much I wanted to be paid. I was quite taken aback but I noted the hourly wages that I saw here on glassdoor ($18) and I got that.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MITRE in February 2013.

There was a brief two step interview process. The first interview was somewhat technical although not too demanding. I was asked a few questions about my resume,projects, and then was asked a bit about one of the courses I listed on my resume. The second interview seemed more like a formality for human resources.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MITRE.

All day affair. Technical interview-pretty challenging.

Interview Questions
    • Write out what what digital component this represents to you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Bedford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Bedford, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MITRE in December 2011.

Interviewed with 5 people: 3 team members, HR rep, and a senior manager. Team seemed really friendly but was very male oriented (no women in a team of 50 engineers)...

Interiew consisted of brain teasers, Object oriented questions, Interests, Resume Information, etc...
    Process lasted 5 hours (an hour with each person). No breaks in between

Interview Questions
    • How would you duplicate a string without using a temp variable?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MITRE in January 2009.

MITRE hires highly educated people and uses their employees to recruit from their former universities. This places students at universities that other MITRE employees have attended at an advantage as they are familiar with the programs students are studying and their requirements. It also helps graduate students by having an internal reference to provide their resume through instead of going through impersonal online application process.

The process begins with a phone call from a HR representative who will try to align your interests with the correct area of MITRE. This is a fairly straight forward process and the HR staff is technically knowledgeable which helps with finding the right department.

MITRE brings the candidate on-site for a series of 1-on-1 interviews. There are at least 3 interviews with technical employees working in the section that is considering the applicant. The applicant will then meet with a section lead and then the division lead. One of the interviews could occur over a meal, so be prepared to speak and eat simultaneously.

The interviews will review your knowledge of technical information and are nice for engineering minded individuals as this plays to the strengths of the candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What are your thoughts about privacy with respect to social networking?   View Answer
    Salary is slightly negotiable, but there's only so much that you can negotiate up front. There are annual salary reviews. Paid time off, retirement, medical benefits, etc are fixed throughout the company, so there's no movement here, but these are very good, so this is less of a concern.