MITRE Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.7

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume at the MITRE site. My resume was passed on to the hiring manager who contacted me with request for a Phone screen. This was followed by a request for writing samples. Once my samples were reviewed, I was invited for an on-site interview. The interview lasted an hour. I was contacted a few days later by HR with a request to fill out a formal application with details of my work experience, background and references. Employment details were discussed during that conversation. About a week later, I received a formal offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were interned to find out if I had the qualifications for the job and if I would be interested in doing it. "If you disagree with the opinion of a document reviewer on a professional matter, what would you do?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MITRE.

Interview

I recently posted to a promising position that matched my skills very closely. I next contacted a senior Mitre person I knew to notify HR, which he did. Over the next several weeks I followed up with HR multiple times. I also got the name and phone number of the specific HR specialist for the position I posted to and left him 3 voice mails over three weeks. The HR person never returned my calls and he also never responded to the senior Mitre person. The senior person said he was also frustrated and that Mitre "often moves slow". In the meantime I picked up a promising position with a Fortune 100 company. I found the conduct of Mitre HR to be extremely unprofessional. At a minimum they should have notified me that I was not a fit, that they were working the requisition, etc. They treated their own internal senior manager the same way.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at MITRE (Bedford, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a very nice internal recruiter in VA and asked to have a phone interview with 2 hiring managers in Bedford, MA, who were borderline abusive and insulting. Was asked repeatedly why I hadn't more aggressively advocated for a specific change at my current job; the response I got to the answer that I tried politely to not offer was a ridiculous "harrumph" noise. It seemed bizarre to me that an interviewer would seem to go out of his way to force a candidate to answer a question in such a manner - the question "why didn't you build a business case to propose a change [to that issue]?" was asked repeatedly until I reluctantly explained that that sort of initiative gets one in trouble at my current employer, and that I did try to voice a concern and did, indeed, get put back in my place. If I didn't know better, I would say that the two men that interviewed me had bad weekends and were delighting in having some fun at my expense. Again - bizarre, overly aggressive behavior for an interview; I have had countless interviews in my life and never, ever have I encountered anyone that behaved like this. The expectation of the position provided by HR dis not match up with questions asked and the expectations that the hiring managers seemed to have. The role itself requires a developer with pixel-perfect design skills - an extreme rarity, if one exists. The role needs to be split into two roles, and it sounds like the hiring manager is a. adamant about not doing so and b. insistent that this is the "right" way to do things.

Principal Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

We waited in the lobby for a few minutes where managers cordially introduced themselves. Afterward, we were escorted to an adjacent conference room complemented with fruit and snacks where senior managers provided an overview of the company and mission. Each prospect was escorted individually to a team conference with 4-5 employees who asked challenging questions in a relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• What was the most complex and challenging project your were on and how did you succeed?   Answer Question

Operations Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online to several jobs. About a month later I got an e-mail about setting up a phone interview to discuss a possible job fit. The job in question turned out not to be one of the ones I applied for, but a similar one (which was fine by me). The phone interview was quite friendly. I was asked about my current research and about my career interests. The interviewer also answered my questions about MITRE. Quite early on in the phone interview the interviewer said that they were going to fly me out for an in-person interview. It was clear that the phone interview wasn’t so much a test to pass or fail as it was a gauge of my interest in the position. They wanted to make sure I understood what the job would entail and that I was still interested. Scheduling the interview was quite painless. The interview was about three hours long. In that time I met with a person from HR and four of the people I would be working with. I also gave a 20 minute presentation on my research. The HR person asked the standard questions - strengths, weaknesses, career goals, etc. I got the impression that they didn’t quite understand the position and its responsibilities, or what it would pay. Fortunately, the other people I interviewed with filled in the gaps. I had a slightly mixed experience with the four analysts with whom I met. Two of them seemed a little hung up on the fact that my background was in the physical sciences rather than in operations research. They were friendly, but I didn’t get the impression that they felt I was the right person for the job. The other two (one of whom was the division leader) were much, much more positive, and seemed to feel that my background in the physical sciences would make me a great addition to the team. I wasn’t asked any surprising questions. Mostly the usual: why do you want to leave academia, what kind of analysis did you have to do in your graduate work, etc. The presentation was enjoyable, if short. The goal of the presentation was not to wow them with amazing results, but to take a complex, technical topic and explain it in a way that a room full of intelligent non-specialists could understand. The people seemed to enjoy their jobs, and the benefits and pay (I was told the ballpark figure) were competitive. One particularly telling fact was that everyone I met with had worked there for at least 10 years, and that seems to be quite normal. It’s a very good sign if people like their jobs enough to stay for that long. I walked away with an overall positive impression, but it was hard to be certain about anything with such a short (3 hour) interview. I would have liked to meet with more people. Perhaps the best thing would have been lunch or a lengthy coffee break with 2-4 of them. That would have given me a look at how they interacted with each other, and what kind of social/collegial environment existed in the division. I wrote to MITRE when I was offered a job at a similar company, asking when they would have their decision about whether to offer me the job. They were prompt and very up front, telling me that they would take about a month longer. So, I withdrew myself from consideration and took the other job.

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA).

Interview

Grueling. Extended. Painful. Interview process began with a series of 1-1 interviews with 6 different senior execs. Then advanced to 4 group interviews with different department heads and their technical leads who wanted to play "stump the candidate". At any point any single interviewer had veto power to kick you off the short list. To say you felt like an ant under a magnifying glass would be an understatement.

Interview Questions

• How will your past work experience ensure that you are not a failure at MITRE?   Answer Question

Negotiation

OK, headhunter handled salary negotiations successfully.

Lead Information Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MITRE.

Interview

Multi-phased interview process as in phone screen, panel interview, technical staff interview, HR interview, and management interview. Most candidates that are sought are those that are experts in their respective fields and are able to perform as an individual contributor and in a consultant role. Panel interview also includes a presentation which is a focus on the candidate's presentation skills, ability to communicate, and showcasing a mastery of their expertise.

Interview Questions

• Questions can come from a broad range of areas.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Know who you are an what you have to offer. Keep in mind if you challenge the negotiation be prepared to state your case.

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA).

Interview

I quit MITRE some years ago and decided to return after getting a taste of work at a start-up. I had to find a project leader who needed my skills and then help them find a manager who would hire me. Bottom line: MITRE managers don't work very hard to find people to fill their needs. Rather, they simply wait until someone applies. When someone does apply, the candidate has to be a near-perfect fit for an open slot. That is, candidates are rarely assessed for potential long-term contribution.

Interview Questions

• how much money do you require?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at MITRE (Bedford, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

Recently interviewed at Mitre. Met with over a dozen people, lasting most of the day. HR did a very nice job of coordinating a well organized schedule. I interviewed with a good mix of members, some who have been there for 20+ years as well as a few who have been at Mitre for just a few years (5+). Overall the experience was very pleasant, haven't come across such a wide array of very talented people yet very humble. Almost all of the discussions were either around my resume or walking me through the nature/type of work they do. They have a good training facility, with an opportunity to continually learn on pretty much anything. Liked their lab and its open layout. Had a joint interview with two managers, very down to earth personality and they came across as a team as well as excellent colleagues. Key take ways for me are, excellent group of people, opportunity to work on diverse technologies and continually learn.

Interview Questions

• I have a pretty diverse background/experience and was asked a few times what kind of work I wanted/liked to do at Mitre   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at MITRE in December 2014.

Interview

About a week after submitting my online application, I was contacted for a phone interview. The phone screening lasted about 25 and was with two supervisor-level individuals. They asked about my experience, told me a lot about the company and the project the position would be with, and asked why I was looking for a new job. At the end of the interview, they asked for a writing sample. About one week after sending the writing sample, I was contacted for an in-person interview. The interview was with the two individuals I spoke with on the phone and one other person who called in. Questions were about my experience, working style, and where I see myself in 5 years.

Interview Questions

• What are three words that your co-workers would use to describe you?   Answer Question

Was not interested in the specific project I would have worked on.