MITRE Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014
Updated Aug 20, 2014

2.7

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Submitted resume online and relieved a call from HR a week later. After a phone screening, I was invited to come in for an in-person interview.

I met with the entire team and was very impressed by their professionalism and personalities. These were very smart people who did not exhibit workplace stress indicators and were thrilled to be at MITRE. They all spoke passionately about the company.

I was asked questions about my education and previous government contracting experience - typical stuff.

Everyone was very friendly and dare I say it, this was a FUN interview. I felt like I was talking to old friends.

After sending thank-you notes, I received a call about a week later to offer me the position. There was no room to negotiate on salary, which is admittedly below market. However, the ability to grow quickly and work/life balance supersedes salary in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • I was repeatedly asked why I was leaving my current government contracting position, so make sure you have a good, non-disparaging answer for this question if you're coming from another company.

Also be prepared to answer why you want to work for MITRE specifically.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bedford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied online - interviewed at MITRE.

I never understood why these were so terse, but it's because you're offered a gift card after reviewing the company and don't recall the interview. It was a quick process from applying online, to phone screen, to in person interview, to job offer. Unfortunately, that's dependent on the department you end up applying for since the departments do their own hiring vs. an HR department.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral interviews for most departments. If that's the case, run, run away screaming.   Answer Question
    They offer a competitive salary and don't negotiate much. Asking too much will not serve as a negotiation starting point but rather a reason not to be interviewed.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

I submitted my resume and got a call back pretty quickly for a phone screening. I had just one interview, but my situation was unique. After the interview, there is a separate application for a employment (if I recall correctly). They said that they had "expressed interest" in extending an offer. The application is also used to determine your salary.

Interview Questions
    They make the offer based on your salary and I did not negotiate (not sure if I could have negotiated much).

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Very friendly, not terribly technical, but clear they want solid talent. Taken into a room with several managers--some from the hiring department, others from other departments of interest, where we had a pretty cordial discussion of experience, abilities, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Give a presentation on a topic of your own interest/experience.   Answer Question
    Minimal negotiation, as it was an internship.

Software Engineer Interview

I had a phone interview with an Engineer from Mitre. The phone interview lasted for thirty minutes. The interviewer was well prepared. It felt like the phone interview was well structured. The interviewer did not bring up salary requirements during the phone interview. I viewed that as a positive, because that question should be asked during later stages of the interview process. I got the impression that the interviewer was well trained on how to conduct an interview.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked a question about a web development technical skill. The question was difficult, because I did not have a lot of experience using that skill.   Answer Question

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

typically a phone interview first, then they will call you in and you spend 1/2 to full day meeting with people in the department you'd be hired into. you'll get a call back if they want to hire you then a letter. you'll need to undergo a security check and you might need to apply for a clearance

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MITRE in June 2014.

Two phone screening then call in to interview with 5 different lead software engineers. Four different sections for tech skill set, each section last about 15-30 minutes. Area covered: problem solving skill, OOP knowlege, code implementation and designs.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you are given an assignment that you do not have the knowlege to solve. How do you approach the problem   Answer Question

Senior Cyber Security Engineer Interview

The interview process is difficult - you are expected to present on an area of interest/research. It can be a long day as multiple people from different parts of the company can be scheduled to talk to you.

Interview Questions
    • The presentation - that's not a typical part of the interview for the area.   Answer Question
    As an FFRDC the pay isn't as high, but education benefits are above average.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

interviewed at MITRE in May 2014.

3 intense but informative interviews. This was the best part because it gave a very good overview of company. The spent a lot of time stressing work life balance. Employees appear to be very happy. The interview process began with a phone interview which lasted 1 hour. Then in person.

very simple

Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bedford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Applied online, and was contacted very quickly. After a very brief phone interview, I was invited to come onsite to the location at Bedford. Met with several people, all of whom were very nice and genuinely interested in my career. Had to set up and present a 15 minute powerpoint presentation (of my choosing), but it was only in front of a few people and I had 2 weeks prior to prepare. This was really the only difficult part of the entire day, as the audience did throw out some tricky questions. Also got treated to a pretty awesome lunch in their cafe.

Interview Questions
    • Had to create a presentation of my choosing, answering their questions was the only difficult part of the interview   Answer Question

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!