MITRE

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Bedford, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Interview Details – Contacted for an initial phone interview. The interview had a few quasi-technical question, but more about problem solving methodology, and to talk through my resume. Three days later I was informed that I had been selected for an onsite interview, and HR arranged my travel plans, which they were very good about. The onsite interview consisted of a meeting with an HR representative, then a 15 minute presentation to the engineers I would be interviewing with that day. After the presentation, there were 45 minute individual interviews with the engineers at the presentation, with some over lunch and some touring the facilities. Everyone was pleasant and professional.

Interview Question – What's an example of when you didn't do your best work?   Answer Question

Lead Engineer Interview

Lead Engineer
McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MITRE in December 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen, then round table interview, then management interview, then wait

Interview Question – How do you tell a Sponsor that what they are doing is wrong and doomed to fail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Accepted original Offer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
Bedford, MA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at MITRE in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted for an interview a couple weeks later. I met with 12 different people. Everyone there was extremely nice, unlike some of the financial institutions I had interviewed at. I dressed formally, but I got the sense that it was unnecessary. Most questions were about my previous experience and coursework.

Interview Question – Pretend that Python doesn't have a function to cast a string to an integer. Write your own.
For this question I actually had to write the code on a text editor and run it.
  Answer Question

Multi-Disciplined Systems Engineer Interview

Multi-Disciplined Systems Engineer

Interviewed at MITRE

Interview Details – A guantlet of interviews with senior leaders in the organization, mainly focused on what tyoe of work I would like to focus on.

Interview Question – What's the most challenging situation you have ever faced?   Answer Question

Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer Interview

Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at MITRE.

Interview Details – In my case it was pretty straight forward. I had worked with the hiring manager before when we were both government. When the time came to retire from the military, I approached them about potential positions. Nothing was available at the time, but a year later they came to me and asked if I was still interested.

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Infrastructure Engineer
Bedford, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interview process was very streamlined and professional. I was called by the hiring manager who had my resume passed to them. This was for an entry-level position. The phone screen was very relaxed with only a few softball technical questions. The hiring manager was mostly interested in whether I would be a good fit in his department, if not he would refer me to a different department. At the end of the call he said that he'd like to fly me out for an interview soon.

The in-person interview was very relaxed. I met with an HR rep for ~30 minutes. Then I gave a technical presentation on a topic of my choosing. They want a 40-45 minute presentation with time for questions. Next was a series of ~45-60 minute 1-on-1 interviews with people at the presentation. Each interview varied depending on their style. Most will ask questions about your resume to generate a dialogue, others will ask some technical questions to verify you know what you know, but overall they want to make sure you will enjoy doing the work they do and are a good fit for the type of work. Each interviewer was from a different group within the department.

MITRE paid for ground and air transportation as well as a hotel for the night.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Cyber Security Engineer Interview

Cyber Security Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Interview Details – Employee referral resulted in a phone interview, which led to an in-person interview session with six different individuals, which led to being brought back for one additional interview. The interviews were fairly intensive, with at least half of them being technically challenging. Trick questions, thinking problems, technical questions, trivia questions and domain-relevant questions were all asked. It was pretty tiring at the end of the process and having to have 8 interviews (including the phone) seemed a bit extreme.

Interview Question – Obscure technical questions that make you have to dig back into your mental college engineering textbooks for the answers.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Bedford, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at MITRE.

Interview Details – Hour long phone interview that was mostly me telling my backstory & interests (no technical questions. Then I was invited on site for a whole day of interviews which consisted of me meeting different members of the groups I was being considered for & it was similar to the phone interview where I retold my backstory & what I am interested in. In the on site interviews there were a few technical questions asked but surprisingly easy, run of the mill questions (i.e. fibonacci, fizzbuzz, & sorting). The interviews where less me selling myself to them & rather more them selling me on the company & their group.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MITRE in May 2009.

Interview Details – I had to give a presentation to the group. Then one-by-one I was interviewed by the group.

Interview Question – What do I hate doing   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Lead Information Security Engineer Interview

Lead Information Security Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Interview Details – I was already working side-by-side with MITRE folks. They knew my capabilities and history.

Interview Question – Which project do you want to work on?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple.