MITRE Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014
Updated Aug 20, 2014

2.7

Senior Cyber Security Engineer Interview

The interview process is difficult - you are expected to present on an area of interest/research. It can be a long day as multiple people from different parts of the company can be scheduled to talk to you.

Interview Questions
    • The presentation - that's not a typical part of the interview for the area.   Answer Question
    As an FFRDC the pay isn't as high, but education benefits are above average.

Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Applied online, and was contacted very quickly. After a very brief phone interview, I was invited to come onsite to the location at Bedford. Met with several people, all of whom were very nice and genuinely interested in my career. Had to set up and present a 15 minute powerpoint presentation (of my choosing), but it was only in front of a few people and I had 2 weeks prior to prepare. This was really the only difficult part of the entire day, as the audience did throw out some tricky questions. Also got treated to a pretty awesome lunch in their cafe.

Interview Questions
    • Had to create a presentation of my choosing, answering their questions was the only difficult part of the interview   Answer Question

Lead Economic Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Resume given to friend who submitted into HR system, received call 2-3 days later for pre-screen, who invited me to Bedford, MA (Boston) for interview (MITRE paid for flight and hotel). Interview was ~ 6 hours with 4 dif. interviewers + HR, including lunch, followed by presentation to group. Interviews were mostly cordial and just inquired about specific experience related to things I'd be working on. Group presentation was my choice (present material from past project) so pretty easy to prepare.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing tricky or unexpected, just a lot of questions about specific experience   Answer Question
    MITRE has target ranges for all positions and not a lot of flexibility to move outside those ranges but there's always potential to hire someone on a higher grade to get the higher salary. If the salary you want isn't even close to the HR offer, then ask for the position to be regraded one step higher and ask again.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Contacted for an initial phone interview. The interview had a few quasi-technical question, but more about problem solving methodology, and to talk through my resume. Three days later I was informed that I had been selected for an onsite interview, and HR arranged my travel plans, which they were very good about. The onsite interview consisted of a meeting with an HR representative, then a 15 minute presentation to the engineers I would be interviewing with that day. After the presentation, there were 45 minute individual interviews with the engineers at the presentation, with some over lunch and some touring the facilities. Everyone was pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions
    • What's an example of when you didn't do your best work?   Answer Question

Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at MITRE in December 2010.

Phone screen, then round table interview, then management interview, then wait

Interview Questions
    • How do you tell a Sponsor that what they are doing is wrong and doomed to fail.   Answer Question
    Accepted original Offer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at MITRE in March 2013.

I applied online and was contacted for an interview a couple weeks later. I met with 12 different people. Everyone there was extremely nice, unlike some of the financial institutions I had interviewed at. I dressed formally, but I got the sense that it was unnecessary. Most questions were about my previous experience and coursework.

Interview Questions
    • Pretend that Python doesn't have a function to cast a string to an integer. Write your own.
      For this question I actually had to write the code on a text editor and run it.
        Answer Question

Multi-Disciplined Systems Engineer Interview

A guantlet of interviews with senior leaders in the organization, mainly focused on what tyoe of work I would like to focus on.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most challenging situation you have ever faced?   Answer Question

Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at MITRE.

In my case it was pretty straight forward. I had worked with the hiring manager before when we were both government. When the time came to retire from the military, I approached them about potential positions. Nothing was available at the time, but a year later they came to me and asked if I was still interested.

Cyber Security Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Employee referral resulted in a phone interview, which led to an in-person interview session with six different individuals, which led to being brought back for one additional interview. The interviews were fairly intensive, with at least half of them being technically challenging. Trick questions, thinking problems, technical questions, trivia questions and domain-relevant questions were all asked. It was pretty tiring at the end of the process and having to have 8 interviews (including the phone) seemed a bit extreme.

Interview Questions
    • Obscure technical questions that make you have to dig back into your mental college engineering textbooks for the answers.   Answer Question

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bedford, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE in February 2014.

Interview process was very streamlined and professional. I was called by the hiring manager who had my resume passed to them. This was for an entry-level position. The phone screen was very relaxed with only a few softball technical questions. The hiring manager was mostly interested in whether I would be a good fit in his department, if not he would refer me to a different department. At the end of the call he said that he'd like to fly me out for an interview soon.

The in-person interview was very relaxed. I met with an HR rep for ~30 minutes. Then I gave a technical presentation on a topic of my choosing. They want a 40-45 minute presentation with time for questions. Next was a series of ~45-60 minute 1-on-1 interviews with people at the presentation. Each interview varied depending on their style. Most will ask questions about your resume to generate a dialogue, others will ask some technical questions to verify you know what you know, but overall they want to make sure you will enjoy doing the work they do and are a good fit for the type of work. Each interviewer was from a different group within the department.

MITRE paid for ground and air transportation as well as a hotel for the night.