MITRE Interview Questions in McLean, VA

2.6

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

interviewed at MITRE in May 2014.

3 intense but informative interviews. This was the best part because it gave a very good overview of company. The spent a lot of time stressing work life balance. Employees appear to be very happy. The interview process began with a phone interview which lasted 1 hour. Then in person.

very simple

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at MITRE.

Hiring manager or one of their subordinates conduct interviews, often two or three individuals interview candidate followed by department hiring manager. Interviewers submit recommendations to hire or not. Hiring packages take weeks to be approved. Two months on average.

Interview Questions
    HR made offer, I countered, they went back to dept hiring manager, who approved, then revised hiring package had to be approved by vice-president.

Modeling & Simulation Engineer In Aviation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE in September 2013.

The recruiter contacted via email shortly after applying through their website requesting a phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and was very laid back. Most of the question revolved around working with others, communication skills, and programming experience. I was not contacted for several more weeks at which point I was recommended for another position.

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at MITRE in January 2013.

I had someone referral me and then I got a call from the deputy and they talked about mitre and asked me about my experience. Next step I got a call from HR and setup an interview date. That was five weeks after the call. Then at the Interview I spoke to hr first for one hour and then Interview with three people. The overall interview took two hours.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MITRE in January 2013.

The process was streamlined; one phone interview, an HR screening, then in person panel review and management review.

Interview Questions
    • What line of client would I prefer. The difficulty was in that many of their clients require a security clearance, so my answer had to be health care/social service.s   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MITRE in December 2011.

I applied on-line and after 2-3 weeks received an email from a MITRE recruiter for an initial phone screen. It took a week for that to occur. Very high level, clear that they weren't trying to fill a specific position. Made it to the panel interview. But there's the kicker. HR took their own sweet time in getting back to me. There was a 2 week gap between the technical phone screen and the call saying that I was being invited to an in-person interview. But they didn't call until Friday, late afternoon. I wasn't home so they left a message, which I returned the following Monday morning. I didn't hear anything back. I waited 2 days and nothing. No emails, no phone calls. So I emailed the technical interviewer and told them that I was playing phone tag and not able to get through, suggesting they get HR to email me instead of phoning. Later that day I get a phone call from HR saying that I was recommended for an interview on Dec 15 but no other details! That they would contact me with an application and the details. But they didn't say when that would be, I made the assumption it would be by email that day or the next. A whole week goes by and nothing. Nothing by post, phone or email and my interview is the following week. So again, I reach out to the technical contact. Later that day, I get an email with all the particulars including an application and several other documents to fill out. So I let the technical point of contact know that I was now on the fence. Not sure I really wanted to interview with an organization that was so slow. The interviewer suggested I keep an open mind and wait for the interview, that I would be impressed by the panel. When I told them I was leaning towards not coming in because it was the first time in my entire career I had to micromanage a company's interview process, they forwarded the complaint to management who promptly cancelled the interview! So instead of opening up some kind of corrective, preventive or process improvement action, they swept the problem under the rug and got rid of the complainer. While I might have cancelled anyway, there was no attempt on management's part to resolve the issue and smooth things over with me.

Interview Questions
    • Out of all the aspects of your discipline, name the 5 top areas.   View Answer

Information Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MITRE in July 2011.

a friend who works at MITRE referred me into the system. it took approximately 4 weeks for them to make the initial call to acknowledge that they had received my information.

I had to complete an online form that asked for all of my background information, including my work history. the work history is important to get right, because that is what they used in my interview (as opposed to working from the resume that i supplied to HR).

After I talked with HR, for a basic talk about what i have done, and what I want to do, I was scheduled in for a panel interview.

It took another 3 weeks, but that was largely due to my schedule limitations, not theirs.

The in person interview was very quick and efficient.
    The panel interview consisted of 3 managers from different areas.
    It was very collegial, open ended questions about my history, motivation, type of work that I want to do, and teamwork experience.
    They were interested in having me tell them about special cases in which I was able to bring unique value to my projects, how I dealt with particularly difficult customers, and what experiences I really liked in past engagements.
    The tone was very collaborative, and never got very technical.

About a week after the interview, I got a call from HR saying they wanted to extend me an offer, but required another HR interview. they asked me the same questions in the first interview, but also specifically asked about salary requirements.

It took about another week for them to put together an offer package.
    Once I received it in the mail, I had 4 business days to respond, by phone. They accepted the signed copy by fax, email (for speed), but the original had to be sent in by mail (they provided a no postage necessary envelope for the return).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a client did not accept an idea that you proposed.   Answer Question
    • Why are you considering MITRE over other local consulting firms such as Booz Allen Hamilton?   Answer Question
    there wasn't much negotiations. they seemed to base it off of my prior salary. They do not like to consider variable compensation as a starting point, so keep that in mind. that was the only real point of discussion, which is about how my variable component would affect my decision making on any offer that was to come down.

Senior Security Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at MITRE in July 2011.

I was interviewed by a part-time recruiter after sending MITRE my resume. Basic questions about my previous experience and why I left each organization. The salary range was deal-breaker for me.

Interview Questions
    • If you could divide up your responsibilities into a pie charge, what percentage of your time do you spend on each responsibility on a daily basis?   Answer Question

Information Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online - interviewed at MITRE in April 2011.

Was initially contacted via phone and then pulled in for a panel interview with the department. The interview was fairly relaxed. I felt very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • There were some fairly technical questions asked regarding my experience with various software programs and programming languages. But nothing too out of the ordinary.   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation is allowed. I was able to bring up the offer a tiny amount by justifying with detailed reasons.

Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MITRE in March 2011.

I submitted my resume to a contact there on a Wednesday. He called that evening, and on Friday I was brought on site for an interview. The interview was 4 hours with a half dozen people or so, including the department manager. The questions were more about what I wanted to do with my career than anything technical. The one problem though was that with the exception of my contact the rest of the managers I interviewed with were not very honest about the kind of work I should expect to be doing. They made it seem like it would be a lot more math/physics related than it ended up being.

Interview Questions
    I asked for more that the original offer was for. They did say that the salary was not really negotiable due to my experience, but they did offer me a signing bonus.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!