MITRE

2.6

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MITRE.

Grueling. Extended. Painful. Interview process began with a series of 1-1 interviews with 6 different senior execs. Then advanced to 4 group interviews with different department heads and their technical leads who wanted to play "stump the candidate". At any point any single interviewer had veto power to kick you off the short list. To say you felt like an ant under a magnifying glass would be an understatement.

Interview Questions
    • How will your past work experience ensure that you are not a failure at MITRE?   Answer Question
    OK, headhunter handled salary negotiations successfully.

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MITRE.

I quit MITRE some years ago and decided to return after getting a taste of work at a start-up. I had to find a project leader who needed my skills and then help them find a manager who would hire me. Bottom line: MITRE managers don't work very hard to find people to fill their needs. Rather, they simply wait until someone applies. When someone does apply, the candidate has to be a near-perfect fit for an open slot. That is, candidates are rarely assessed for potential long-term contribution.

no negotiation.

Economics Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at MITRE in October 2014.

I applied for the position through MITRE's website. I received a call from the hiring manager about three weeks later. It was a very informal and friendly discussion that probably lasted about twenty minutes. The following day I received a call from HR to schedule an in-person interview with a panel. I was told who would be on the panel and that first I would meet with someone from HR. I was given three dates and times to choose from. Later that evening I received confirmation of date and time. I was also provided information on MITRE, including benefits and directions to the facility. I was told to plan for three hours. I arrived at MITRE ten minutes before the interview time and the HR Recruiter was already waiting for me in the lobby. Very friendly and determined to put me at ease. We went over basic information and a couple of easy questions. Example: what did you find most challenging about your job? I was also asked my salary expectations and she expressed a little concern at the salary I made prior to retirement. I then met with panel members. It was a friendly collegial environment. Lots of laughing. At the conclusion of the interview, the department head accompanied me back to the lobby and we spoke another five minutes before I left. The entire interview, including HR, was about an hour and a half. Two days later I was told they would like to pursue making an offer but first I needed to provide a letter from my former employer's legal office confirming there was no conflict. About a week later I was called by the HR Recruiter and verbally told the offer. I was told I would get a written offer once they received the letter and their legal department approved it. The letter was provided to MITRE later that afternoon. Five days later I was provided an offer in writing.

Interview Questions
    • None, more of a conversation and selling me on the company. One question was what would I do if my boss told me to do something I disagreed with.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. Salary offered exceeded my expectations and was actually higher that my salary prior to retirement.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

interviewed at MITRE in May 2014.

3 intense but informative interviews. This was the best part because it gave a very good overview of company. The spent a lot of time stressing work life balance. Employees appear to be very happy. The interview process began with a phone interview which lasted 1 hour. Then in person.

very simple

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MITRE.

Hiring manager or one of their subordinates conduct interviews, often two or three individuals interview candidate followed by department hiring manager. Interviewers submit recommendations to hire or not. Hiring packages take weeks to be approved. Two months on average.

Interview Questions
    HR made offer, I countered, they went back to dept hiring manager, who approved, then revised hiring package had to be approved by vice-president.

Modeling & Simulation Engineer In Aviation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MITRE in September 2013.

The recruiter contacted via email shortly after applying through their website requesting a phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and was very laid back. Most of the question revolved around working with others, communication skills, and programming experience. I was not contacted for several more weeks at which point I was recommended for another position.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MITRE in January 2013.

The process was streamlined; one phone interview, an HR screening, then in person panel review and management review.

Interview Questions
    • What line of client would I prefer. The difficulty was in that many of their clients require a security clearance, so my answer had to be health care/social service.s   View Answer

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at MITRE in January 2013.

I had someone referral me and then I got a call from the deputy and they talked about mitre and asked me about my experience. Next step I got a call from HR and setup an interview date. That was five weeks after the call. Then at the Interview I spoke to hr first for one hour and then Interview with three people. The overall interview took two hours.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MITRE in December 2011.

I applied on-line and after 2-3 weeks received an email from a MITRE recruiter for an initial phone screen. It took a week for that to occur. Very high level, clear that they weren't trying to fill a specific position. Made it to the panel interview. But there's the kicker. HR took their own sweet time in getting back to me. There was a 2 week gap between the technical phone screen and the call saying that I was being invited to an in-person interview. But they didn't call until Friday, late afternoon. I wasn't home so they left a message, which I returned the following Monday morning. I didn't hear anything back. I waited 2 days and nothing. No emails, no phone calls. So I emailed the technical interviewer and told them that I was playing phone tag and not able to get through, suggesting they get HR to email me instead of phoning. Later that day I get a phone call from HR saying that I was recommended for an interview on Dec 15 but no other details! That they would contact me with an application and the details. But they didn't say when that would be, I made the assumption it would be by email that day or the next. A whole week goes by and nothing. Nothing by post, phone or email and my interview is the following week. So again, I reach out to the technical contact. Later that day, I get an email with all the particulars including an application and several other documents to fill out. So I let the technical point of contact know that I was now on the fence. Not sure I really wanted to interview with an organization that was so slow. The interviewer suggested I keep an open mind and wait for the interview, that I would be impressed by the panel. When I told them I was leaning towards not coming in because it was the first time in my entire career I had to micromanage a company's interview process, they forwarded the complaint to management who promptly cancelled the interview! So instead of opening up some kind of corrective, preventive or process improvement action, they swept the problem under the rug and got rid of the complainer. While I might have cancelled anyway, there was no attempt on management's part to resolve the issue and smooth things over with me.

Interview Questions
    • Out of all the aspects of your discipline, name the 5 top areas.   View Answer

Information Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MITRE in July 2011.

a friend who works at MITRE referred me into the system. it took approximately 4 weeks for them to make the initial call to acknowledge that they had received my information.

I had to complete an online form that asked for all of my background information, including my work history. the work history is important to get right, because that is what they used in my interview (as opposed to working from the resume that i supplied to HR).

After I talked with HR, for a basic talk about what i have done, and what I want to do, I was scheduled in for a panel interview.

It took another 3 weeks, but that was largely due to my schedule limitations, not theirs.

The in person interview was very quick and efficient.
    The panel interview consisted of 3 managers from different areas.
    It was very collegial, open ended questions about my history, motivation, type of work that I want to do, and teamwork experience.
    They were interested in having me tell them about special cases in which I was able to bring unique value to my projects, how I dealt with particularly difficult customers, and what experiences I really liked in past engagements.
    The tone was very collaborative, and never got very technical.

About a week after the interview, I got a call from HR saying they wanted to extend me an offer, but required another HR interview. they asked me the same questions in the first interview, but also specifically asked about salary requirements.

It took about another week for them to put together an offer package.
    Once I received it in the mail, I had 4 business days to respond, by phone. They accepted the signed copy by fax, email (for speed), but the original had to be sent in by mail (they provided a no postage necessary envelope for the return).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when a client did not accept an idea that you proposed.   Answer Question
    • Why are you considering MITRE over other local consulting firms such as Booz Allen Hamilton?   Answer Question
    there wasn't much negotiations. they seemed to base it off of my prior salary. They do not like to consider variable compensation as a starting point, so keep that in mind. that was the only real point of discussion, which is about how my variable component would affect my decision making on any offer that was to come down.