MITRE Interview Questions in McLean, VA

Updated Jul 12, 2015

2.7

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume at the MITRE site. My resume was passed on to the hiring manager who contacted me with request for a Phone screen. This was followed by a request for writing samples. Once my samples were reviewed, I was invited for an on-site interview. The interview lasted an hour. I was contacted a few days later by HR with a request to fill out a formal application with details of my work experience, background and references. Employment details were discussed during that conversation. About a week later, I received a formal offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were interned to find out if I had the qualifications for the job and if I would be interested in doing it. "If you disagree with the opinion of a document reviewer on a professional matter, what would you do?"   Answer Question

Principal Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

We waited in the lobby for a few minutes where managers cordially introduced themselves. Afterward, we were escorted to an adjacent conference room complemented with fruit and snacks where senior managers provided an overview of the company and mission. Each prospect was escorted individually to a team conference with 4-5 employees who asked challenging questions in a relaxed atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• What was the most complex and challenging project your were on and how did you succeed?   Answer Question

Operations Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online to several jobs. About a month later I got an e-mail about setting up a phone interview to discuss a possible job fit. The job in question turned out not to be one of the ones I applied for, but a similar one (which was fine by me). The phone interview was quite friendly. I was asked about my current research and about my career interests. The interviewer also answered my questions about MITRE. Quite early on in the phone interview the interviewer said that they were going to fly me out for an in-person interview. It was clear that the phone interview wasn’t so much a test to pass or fail as it was a gauge of my interest in the position. They wanted to make sure I understood what the job would entail and that I was still interested. Scheduling the interview was quite painless. The interview was about three hours long. In that time I met with a person from HR and four of the people I would be working with. I also gave a 20 minute presentation on my research. The HR person asked the standard questions - strengths, weaknesses, career goals, etc. I got the impression that they didn’t quite understand the position and its responsibilities, or what it would pay. Fortunately, the other people I interviewed with filled in the gaps. I had a slightly mixed experience with the four analysts with whom I met. Two of them seemed a little hung up on the fact that my background was in the physical sciences rather than in operations research. They were friendly, but I didn’t get the impression that they felt I was the right person for the job. The other two (one of whom was the division leader) were much, much more positive, and seemed to feel that my background in the physical sciences would make me a great addition to the team. I wasn’t asked any surprising questions. Mostly the usual: why do you want to leave academia, what kind of analysis did you have to do in your graduate work, etc. The presentation was enjoyable, if short. The goal of the presentation was not to wow them with amazing results, but to take a complex, technical topic and explain it in a way that a room full of intelligent non-specialists could understand. The people seemed to enjoy their jobs, and the benefits and pay (I was told the ballpark figure) were competitive. One particularly telling fact was that everyone I met with had worked there for at least 10 years, and that seems to be quite normal. It’s a very good sign if people like their jobs enough to stay for that long. I walked away with an overall positive impression, but it was hard to be certain about anything with such a short (3 hour) interview. I would have liked to meet with more people. Perhaps the best thing would have been lunch or a lengthy coffee break with 2-4 of them. That would have given me a look at how they interacted with each other, and what kind of social/collegial environment existed in the division. I wrote to MITRE when I was offered a job at a similar company, asking when they would have their decision about whether to offer me the job. They were prompt and very up front, telling me that they would take about a month longer. So, I withdrew myself from consideration and took the other job.

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA).

Interview

Grueling. Extended. Painful. Interview process began with a series of 1-1 interviews with 6 different senior execs. Then advanced to 4 group interviews with different department heads and their technical leads who wanted to play "stump the candidate". At any point any single interviewer had veto power to kick you off the short list. To say you felt like an ant under a magnifying glass would be an understatement.

Interview Questions

• How will your past work experience ensure that you are not a failure at MITRE?   Answer Question

Negotiation

OK, headhunter handled salary negotiations successfully.

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA).

Interview

I quit MITRE some years ago and decided to return after getting a taste of work at a start-up. I had to find a project leader who needed my skills and then help them find a manager who would hire me. Bottom line: MITRE managers don't work very hard to find people to fill their needs. Rather, they simply wait until someone applies. When someone does apply, the candidate has to be a near-perfect fit for an open slot. That is, candidates are rarely assessed for potential long-term contribution.

Interview Questions

• how much money do you require?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation.

Economics Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position through MITRE's website. I received a call from the hiring manager about three weeks later. It was a very informal and friendly discussion that probably lasted about twenty minutes. The following day I received a call from HR to schedule an in-person interview with a panel. I was told who would be on the panel and that first I would meet with someone from HR. I was given three dates and times to choose from. Later that evening I received confirmation of date and time. I was also provided information on MITRE, including benefits and directions to the facility. I was told to plan for three hours. I arrived at MITRE ten minutes before the interview time and the HR Recruiter was already waiting for me in the lobby. Very friendly and determined to put me at ease. We went over basic information and a couple of easy questions. Example: what did you find most challenging about your job? I was also asked my salary expectations and she expressed a little concern at the salary I made prior to retirement. I then met with panel members. It was a friendly collegial environment. Lots of laughing. At the conclusion of the interview, the department head accompanied me back to the lobby and we spoke another five minutes before I left. The entire interview, including HR, was about an hour and a half. Two days later I was told they would like to pursue making an offer but first I needed to provide a letter from my former employer's legal office confirming there was no conflict. About a week later I was called by the HR Recruiter and verbally told the offer. I was told I would get a written offer once they received the letter and their legal department approved it. The letter was provided to MITRE later that afternoon. Five days later I was provided an offer in writing.

Interview Questions

• None, more of a conversation and selling me on the company. One question was what would I do if my boss told me to do something I disagreed with.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Salary offered exceeded my expectations and was actually higher that my salary prior to retirement.

Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

interviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

3 intense but informative interviews. This was the best part because it gave a very good overview of company. The spent a lot of time stressing work life balance. Employees appear to be very happy. The interview process began with a phone interview which lasted 1 hour. Then in person.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very simple

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA).

Interview

Hiring manager or one of their subordinates conduct interviews, often two or three individuals interview candidate followed by department hiring manager. Interviewers submit recommendations to hire or not. Hiring packages take weeks to be approved. Two months on average.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

HR made offer, I countered, they went back to dept hiring manager, who approved, then revised hiring package had to be approved by vice-president.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

The recruiter contacted via email shortly after applying through their website requesting a phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and was very laid back. Most of the question revolved around working with others, communication skills, and programming experience. I was not contacted for several more weeks at which point I was recommended for another position.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at MITRE (McLean, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied online and briefly spoke with a financial analyst on the phone before scheduling an in person interview. I arrived and there were 2 other people for a group interview. 6 associates then bought us lunch in the cafeteria to get us loosened before the interview. We then split up into three rooms with 2 people interviewing in each room. Each one had a different style, but mostly with behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when a person you were working with was not getting the job done, and what did you do about it?   Answer Question