MITRE

Relevance Date Difficulty

Network Engineer Interview

Network Engineer
McLean, VA

I interviewed at MITRE in May 2014.

Interview Details – 3 intense but informative interviews. This was the best part because it gave a very good overview of company. The spent a lot of time stressing work life balance. Employees appear to be very happy. The interview process began with a phone interview which lasted 1 hour. Then in person.

Interview Question – why Mitre   View Answer

Negotiation Details – very simple

Lead Engineer Interview

Lead Engineer
McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at MITRE in December 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screen, then round table interview, then management interview, then wait

Interview Question – How do you tell a Sponsor that what they are doing is wrong and doomed to fail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Accepted original Offer

Senior Economic/Business Analyst Interview

Senior Economic/Business Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MITRE in July 2010.

Interview Details – 2 intwrview panel focused on situational questions. Your answers should reflect a diverse range of experience.

Interview Question – What would be your most satisfying experience if you were hired?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hey offer and you counter - Not much wiggle room. They pay a little more than average.

Modeling & Simulation Engineer In Aviation Interview

Modeling & Simulation Engineer In Aviation
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE in September 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiter contacted via email shortly after applying through their website requesting a phone interview. The interview lasted about an hour and was very laid back. Most of the question revolved around working with others, communication skills, and programming experience. I was not contacted for several more weeks at which point I was recommended for another position.

Interview Question – Give me five words that describe you.   Answer Question

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer
McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MITRE.

Interview Details – Hiring manager or one of their subordinates conduct interviews, often two or three individuals interview candidate followed by department hiring manager. Interviewers submit recommendations to hire or not. Hiring packages take weeks to be approved. Two months on average.

Interview Question – Providing presentation to interviewing panel.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR made offer, I countered, they went back to dept hiring manager, who approved, then revised hiring package had to be approved by vice-president.

Information Systems Engineer Interview

Information Systems Engineer
McLean, VA

I applied online - interviewed at MITRE in April 2011.

Interview Details – Was initially contacted via phone and then pulled in for a panel interview with the department. The interview was fairly relaxed. I felt very comfortable.

Interview Question – There were some fairly technical questions asked regarding my experience with various software programs and programming languages. But nothing too out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiation is allowed. I was able to bring up the offer a tiny amount by justifying with detailed reasons.

Information Systems Engineer Interview

Information Systems Engineer
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE in January 2009.

Interview Details – Initial contact with MITRE is first rate. You are fully informed of where to go, who to see and when it will happen. It is difficult to plan for an interview at MITRE, because MITRE often hires an employee without having a specific job match in mind. Although awkward at first, it becomes evident that they are seeking well rounded, seasoned professionals who are versatile enough to think and perform outside the box. Generally, there will be one interview. It will be in the form of a panel of 2-5 people. This may or may not include your eventual manager. Initial impression of the office environment and work culture - first rate. Clean, comfortable offices, well stocked supplies. Company-supplied PC, mobile phones, hot spots, everything you may need to do your job. Initial impression of the people will vary. Generally, everyone you encounter during the interview process will be upbeat and content with their jobs. That is true the majority of the people who work there. It's a good company, and you can sense it from the time you walk in the door. However, some of the people on the interview panel may come across as "know it all" - unfortunately, many of these folks actually think and act in this fashion - that's the downside.

Interview Question – Due to the nature of the work that you will perform (which is ill-defined upfront), the questions vary wildly, but, the most perplexing question was - "Why do you want to work at MITRE"? In light of you probably not knowing what kind of project or task you may actually work on, this question is a "loaded potato". The most unexpected question was - "If you could change one thing about your former employer, what would it be"? The answer, if you are thinking outside of the box, may be critical to getting and keeping your job. For example: (1) Are you capable of independent evaluation - critical thinking? (2) Are you a "big or little picture person"? (3) Can you constructively evaluate how your former employer can improve its internal culture for the better"? Your viewpoint and approach to how answer this question may speak volumes about whether you are the right person for supporting MITRE's client base - the federal government. The federal government has elements within it that are big and small, simple and complex; with problems that are easy or nearly impossible to resolve. If you join MITRE, you are saying you are ready to meet a plethora of unforeseen challenges - head on.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MITRE in January 2013.

Interview Details – The process was streamlined; one phone interview, an HR screening, then in person panel review and management review.

Interview Question – What line of client would I prefer. The difficulty was in that many of their clients require a security clearance, so my answer had to be health care/social service.s   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer Interview

Senior Simulation Modeling Engineer
McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at MITRE in March 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume to a contact there on a Wednesday. He called that evening, and on Friday I was brought on site for an interview. The interview was 4 hours with a half dozen people or so, including the department manager. The questions were more about what I wanted to do with my career than anything technical. The one problem though was that with the exception of my contact the rest of the managers I interviewed with were not very honest about the kind of work I should expect to be doing. They made it seem like it would be a lot more math/physics related than it ended up being.

Interview Question – No questions were really asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for more that the original offer was for. They did say that the salary was not really negotiable due to my experience, but they did offer me a signing bonus.

Senior Staff Interview

Senior Staff
McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at MITRE in September 2009.

Interview Details – Interview process is simple and straight-forward; no unexpected questions; seems to favor candidates with higher academic degrees and more senior level of expertise; very casual dress code; atmosphere was more academia than commercial; most employees seem to be intraverts; took a long time from start to finish; salary is competitive.

Interview Question – We might not have the title that matches your level of experience, but you will have the right amount of responsibilities. Are you OK with a staff title instead of a manager title?   Answer Question

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!