MITRE

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Engineer Interview

Bedford, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MITRE.

Interview Details – Contacted for an initial phone interview. The interview had a few quasi-technical question, but more about problem solving methodology, and to talk through my resume. Three days later I was informed that I had been selected for an onsite interview, and HR arranged my travel plans, which they were very good about. The onsite interview consisted of a meeting with an HR representative, then a 15 minute presentation to the engineers I would be interviewing with that day. After the presentation, there were 45 minute individual interviews with the engineers at the presentation, with some over lunch and some touring the facilities. Everyone was pleasant and professional.

Interview Question – What's an example of when you didn't do your best work?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Very Easy Interview

Senior Engineer Interview

McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MITRE in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied on-line and after 2-3 weeks received an email from a MITRE recruiter for an initial phone screen. It took a week for that to occur. Very high level, clear that they weren't trying to fill a specific position. Made it to the panel interview. But there's the kicker. HR took their own sweet time in getting back to me. There was a 2 week gap between the technical phone screen and the call saying that I was being invited to an in-person interview. But they didn't call until Friday, late afternoon. I wasn't home so they left a message, which I returned the following Monday morning. I didn't hear anything back. I waited 2 days and nothing. No emails, no phone calls. So I emailed the technical interviewer and told them that I was playing phone tag and not able to get through, suggesting they get HR to email me instead of phoning. Later that day I get a phone call from HR saying that I was recommended for an interview on Dec 15 but no other details! That they would contact me with an application and the details. But they didn't say when that would be, I made the assumption it would be by email that day or the next. A whole week goes by and nothing. Nothing by post, phone or email and my interview is the following week. So again, I reach out to the technical contact. Later that day, I get an email with all the particulars including an application and several other documents to fill out. So I let the technical point of contact know that I was now on the fence. Not sure I really wanted to interview with an organization that was so slow. The interviewer suggested I keep an open mind and wait for the interview, that I would be impressed by the panel. When I told them I was leaning towards not coming in because it was the first time in my entire career I had to micromanage a company's interview process, they forwarded the complaint to management who promptly cancelled the interview! So instead of opening up some kind of corrective, preventive or process improvement action, they swept the problem under the rug and got rid of the complainer. While I might have cancelled anyway, there was no attempt on management's part to resolve the issue and smooth things over with me.

Interview Question – Out of all the aspects of your discipline, name the 5 top areas.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at MITRE

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MITRE Senior Engineer interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by MITRE employees and interview candidates.