MITRE

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Software Systems Engineer
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MITRE in July 2010.

Interview Details – I found out about MITRE while researching FFRDCs and the work they do. I applied for a job that matched my experience with simulation design. I was first contacted by phone where I was asked specific questions about my background in software design and simulation. Within a few days, I received a call asking me to come in for an in person interview. Travel and lodging for the interview were taken care of by MITRE. The day of the on site interview, I met with several different groups ranging from individual managers to teams that I would be working with.

Questions were mostly about my experience and how it would relate to the job I was applying for. It is worth noting that there are a large number of different groups at MITRE, and it is not uncommon for two or more groups to interview the same candidate for multiple positions the same day. The interview was handled very well and those I spoke with were very professional. Each person both asked about my background and experience and also allowed me to ask about the company and work I would be doing.

Interview Question – What experience do you have with group theory and linear algebra?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – MITRE's offer process does not leave a lot of room for negotiation. If you are made an offer, you are given 1 week to consider. They keep information that dictate what the nationwide average for your position, experience, and education are and make offers according to that information. They do not low-ball offers. It will be at or above market value and they expect an answer fairly quickly. They did provide relocation assistance, but that is only available for some positions.

Worked for MITRE? Contribute to the Community!