MLB Advanced Media Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.3

Sponsorship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

It was very laid back. I only had to complete a phone interview that was about 30 minutes. The women was extremely nice and was more of a laid back conversation than an interview. They did not ask any stupid questions like some other companies do.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what my past employers would say if they asked about me.   Answer Question

Quality Control Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media.

Interview

I applied online and a month later got a call from the QC manager for a quick phone screening and an invitation to interview at their offices in Chelsea. In the face to face interview I went into Chelsea Market which was extremely crowded with tourists. I went to the fourth floor and was greeted by the receptionist and a great waiting area. I interviewed with two on the managers and it was just a basic interview with maybe 3-4 basic technical questions. Got a call a week later with an offer.

Social Media Coordinator Interview

Interview

The whole process took about 3 weeks. I was called to schedule an interview in the coming weeks. I went to the office in Manhattan and spoke with 2 members of the department. They asked me about my background and allowed me to ask them questions. I received an offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was overly difficult, but I was given a mini test at the end of the interview to test my knowledge of baseball and social media.   Answer Question

Editorial Interview

Interview

I submitted my resume through my school's career service center. The recruiter got back to me fairly quickly and the interview questions were fairly straight forward (about my background, how my choice of study relates to the job requirements, etc.).

Interview Questions

• How many people in your city view our official website each month?   Answer Question

Replay Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media.

Interview

Process was unusually swift in anticipation of the season- received a call within 2 hours of posting application. Phone interview three days later, followed by an in-person interview. The interviewer talked a ton and asked very few questions. During the interview, he basically went top down on my resume and asked me to elaborate on some bits. In person, I received a tour of MLB above Chelsea Market. It was nice, but then he said he had a meeting and cut the interview short. Couldn't help but feel like the tour was a waste and unnecessary. We talked briefly then he walked me to the elevator saying he would call in 7-10 days. 15 days later I received an email saying they moved in a different direction.

Interview Questions

• Trying to get a word in without interrupting, not having enough time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online for the SF office and got an email from recruiter a few days later. I live about 2 hours away so she let me know up front there was no relocation package available. Phone conversation with her went well, she was very pleasant. Scheduled a phone interview with a senior developer, was asked core Java, Oracle questions. About a week later, onsite interview, 3 separate one on ones with developers, short coding exercises in Java on pass by value and recursion. I was asked questions about databases, did some whiteboard coding, asked to create a database connection. A week later, I'm emailed about setting up a time to talk to the hiring manager. In the phone call with him, he said they would be extending an offer and asked how much I wanted. I told him a number and he said he could get me to that and it might be a little less, and names his number. Then he goes on a long explanation about how I shouldn't split hairs over money because this would be a really great opportunity for me. I asked if they would offer any signing bonus since there was no relocation assistance and he responds "well you're not that good". A few days later, another recruiter contacts me out of NY, asks how much I want and goes through standard HR questions. I tell her the same number that I told the hiring manager. Another week later, she calls me up and says we have an offer for you, and it's (less than what hiring manager told me he could get me). I told her I had a conversation with the hiring manager and he had named a number which was higher, her response is "oh he told me this was what you wanted". I reminded her of our conversation and said I had told him the exact same number. The next day they send the official offer letter over, I respond saying I will move forward if they give me what he had previously suggested. At this point she responds almost immediately saying that my offer had been rescinded.

Interview Questions

• Core java, explain interfaces and abstract classes, write a recursive method, explain inner and outer joins, explain RESTful web services.   Answer Question

Logger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone interview was fairly straightforward with basic background information. Since it's a part time entry level position there wasn't much talk of "qualifications," however, the phone interview ended with a basic sports test. The next step was an in-person interview with a couple Supervisors which served as more of an informational meeting. The third phase is a tryout where you log a pre-recorded event with a supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Sports test consisted of a variety of questions from most major sports, including Michael Jordan's number, past Super Bowl and World Series winners, high-profile Olympic athletes, etc.   Answer Question

Editorial Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

I didn't go through a process, but there is a "baseball test" that full-time candidates must face. It involves recognizing notable players by face. For the most part, if you know at least a little about MLB's star performers you should be OK.

Quality Control Specialist - Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview was brief but exactly to the point. The hiring manager called me, asked me a few background questions and decided to interview me in person. Two days later, I was in the office, answering basic questions about my previous experience in relation to the role. The manager for the team asked a few scenario based questions, to better understand I would handle a particular customer query or technical issue.

Interview Questions

• Was asked how I would handle an exceptionally irate international customer and assist in troubleshooting a device we may not have available on hand at the time.   Answer Question

Multimedia Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media in January 2012.

Interview

Had an in-depth phone interview, followed by in-person interview with my direct boss and a co-worker of his who I ended up working a lot with, too. Direct boss kept me continually updated throughout the process unlike I've ever experienced before. He was just as good as he seemed initially, I wish I could say that for everyone else I met in the company.

Interview Questions

• It shouldn't be unexpected, but there is a baseball knowledge test. Know all award-winners from the prior year and have a pretty good about baseball history in the last decade.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They wouldn't negotiate. In retrospect, if I knew cost of living in New York, I may well have not accepted.