MLB Advanced Media

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.3

Social Media Coordinator Interview

The whole process took about 3 weeks. I was called to schedule an interview in the coming weeks. I went to the office in Manhattan and spoke with 2 members of the department. They asked me about my background and allowed me to ask them questions. I received an offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was overly difficult, but I was given a mini test at the end of the interview to test my knowledge of baseball and social media.   Answer Question

Editorial Interview

I submitted my resume through my school's career service center. The recruiter got back to me fairly quickly and the interview questions were fairly straight forward (about my background, how my choice of study relates to the job requirements, etc.).

Interview Questions
    • How many people in your city view our official website each month?   Answer Question

Replay Operator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media.

Process was unusually swift in anticipation of the season- received a call within 2 hours of posting application. Phone interview three days later, followed by an in-person interview. The interviewer talked a ton and asked very few questions. During the interview, he basically went top down on my resume and asked me to elaborate on some bits. In person, I received a tour of MLB above Chelsea Market. It was nice, but then he said he had a meeting and cut the interview short. Couldn't help but feel like the tour was a waste and unnecessary. We talked briefly then he walked me to the elevator saying he would call in 7-10 days. 15 days later I received an email saying they moved in a different direction.

Interview Questions
    • Trying to get a word in without interrupting, not having enough time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media in April 2014.

Applied online for the SF office and got an email from recruiter a few days later. I live about 2 hours away so she let me know up front there was no relocation package available. Phone conversation with her went well, she was very pleasant. Scheduled a phone interview with a senior developer, was asked core Java, Oracle questions. About a week later, onsite interview, 3 separate one on ones with developers, short coding exercises in Java on pass by value and recursion. I was asked questions about databases, did some whiteboard coding, asked to create a database connection. A week later, I'm emailed about setting up a time to talk to the hiring manager. In the phone call with him, he said they would be extending an offer and asked how much I wanted. I told him a number and he said he could get me to that and it might be a little less, and names his number. Then he goes on a long explanation about how I shouldn't split hairs over money because this would be a really great opportunity for me. I asked if they would offer any signing bonus since there was no relocation assistance and he responds "well you're not that good". A few days later, another recruiter contacts me out of NY, asks how much I want and goes through standard HR questions. I tell her the same number that I told the hiring manager. Another week later, she calls me up and says we have an offer for you, and it's (less than what hiring manager told me he could get me). I told her I had a conversation with the hiring manager and he had named a number which was higher, her response is "oh he told me this was what you wanted". I reminded her of our conversation and said I had told him the exact same number. The next day they send the official offer letter over, I respond saying I will move forward if they give me what he had previously suggested. At this point she responds almost immediately saying that my offer had been rescinded.

Interview Questions
    • Core java, explain interfaces and abstract classes, write a recursive method, explain inner and outer joins, explain RESTful web services.   Answer Question

Logger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media in February 2013.

Phone interview was fairly straightforward with basic background information. Since it's a part time entry level position there wasn't much talk of "qualifications," however, the phone interview ended with a basic sports test. The next step was an in-person interview with a couple Supervisors which served as more of an informational meeting. The third phase is a tryout where you log a pre-recorded event with a supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Sports test consisted of a variety of questions from most major sports, including Michael Jordan's number, past Super Bowl and World Series winners, high-profile Olympic athletes, etc.   Answer Question

Editorial Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media in June 2012.

I didn't go through a process, but there is a "baseball test" that full-time candidates must face. It involves recognizing notable players by face. For the most part, if you know at least a little about MLB's star performers you should be OK.

Quality Control Specialist - Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media in May 2012.

The interview was brief but exactly to the point. The hiring manager called me, asked me a few background questions and decided to interview me in person. Two days later, I was in the office, answering basic questions about my previous experience in relation to the role. The manager for the team asked a few scenario based questions, to better understand I would handle a particular customer query or technical issue.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked how I would handle an exceptionally irate international customer and assist in troubleshooting a device we may not have available on hand at the time.   Answer Question

Multimedia Producer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media in January 2012.

Had an in-depth phone interview, followed by in-person interview with my direct boss and a co-worker of his who I ended up working a lot with, too. Direct boss kept me continually updated throughout the process unlike I've ever experienced before. He was just as good as he seemed initially, I wish I could say that for everyone else I met in the company.

Interview Questions
    • It shouldn't be unexpected, but there is a baseball knowledge test. Know all award-winners from the prior year and have a pretty good about baseball history in the last decade.   View Answer
    They wouldn't negotiate. In retrospect, if I knew cost of living in New York, I may well have not accepted.

Logger Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media in March 2010.

The 1 on 1 interview was a basic interview explaining the job function and asking questions. Also included a sports knowledge test. The interview ended sort of abruptly without any explanation of what happens next. The interviewer made it appear that I had the job. Then he added that he would follow up with the training. After 2 weeks of waiting, I finally was called in for the training without having explained that the training would determine pass or fail. Again, at the end of the training it was unclear if I had the job or what the next step was. Another 2 weeks and I had to email to find out what was going on. I was then informed that I was a strong candidate but could not be offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • This interview did not ask any questions related to the position.   Answer Question

Overnight Video Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MLB Advanced Media in February 2008.

Answered an online ad, and was the only one to show up in a suit. I was hired the next day. it wasn't a very difficult interview process, and I was only introduced to a few people (middle management mostly, and the overnight crew chiefs). The company isn't actually MLB, but a media company (MLB Advanced Media) which is funded by the team owners. MLB films is upstairs, and is a much better place to apply for a serious editing position IMHO.

Interview Questions
    Part time job. Offered hourly wage that was slightly higher than new hires due to my experience. Honestly, if you knew the editing software you were in without too much scrutiny. The turnover rate is quite high, so having experienced editors was a plus in my column for being hired.