MMG Partners

Profile Unclaimed

MMG Partners Interview Questions

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MMG Partners.

First was interviewed by two analysts at the firm. Both were really great, though one was more by-the-book and the other was more honest and really put me at ease. Most of it was behavioral, and for the most part it was a really fun conversation about favorite classes and life goals.

Second interview was with the CEO and with two partners, about a week after the first round interview. All pretty straightforward, general resume questions and one brainteaser per interviewer.

Received the offer within the next few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were the typical consulting questions that you can prepare for (eg case questions, market size and share, etc). They were all brainteasers / puzzles.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MMG Partners in October 2011.

First round, brain teasers and fit. They really want people they would enjoy working with.
    Second round, interview with a partner and with CEO. Also only ask brain teasers.
    Got along well with everyone but did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something you are proud of that is not on your resume   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at MMG Partners in October 2011.

I went to an information session held by the CEO and a few of the associates after missing the deadline to apply through my schools career system. I listened to their presentation and talked to a few of the associates and the CEO for about half an hour afterwards, before I left I dropped off my resume. The next day I received an email to set up a job interview to take place a few days later. When I arrived up, one of the associates I had met at the info session greeted me and began the interview. It only lasted about 45 minutes and was divided about evenly between brain teasers (logic questions to see how you approach problems) and general conversation. During the interview she reiterated that they are mostly looking for people "who they can get along with" and who will get along with clients (they're really big on this). I quickly finished the brain teasers (though I took a few minutes longer than I would have liked on each puzzle) and had a pleasant conversation with the interviewer. After a few days I noticed the deadline for notifications regarding the second round of interviews had passed; which is understandable, while I am friendly I'm not the kind of person who instantly puts the person I'm talking to at ease. If you get an interview make sure you can do some basic logic puzzles and make sure you stay relaxed and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you have a cube made up of x smaller cubes. If you remove the front sheet of small cubes, then the back side, then the bottom,.....how many small cubes are left in the large cube.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pretty bunk. An analyst or two who has been with the company for one year or less does a "case study" interview. In this case it refers to a brain teaser, not a real case study.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected because you are usually more intelligent than the interviewer who tends to be more nervous than you.   View Answer

From all the horror stories I heard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MMG Partners in October 2011.

I first heard of MMG Partners through my university’s on campus recruiting program. Another alumna made a presentation and I was impressed by her ability to present herself and the firm. The CEO, Dr. Ma, also attended the presentation and I had a chance to speak with him (really important!). After speaking to a few more analysts, I had a sense of how tightly bound the employees at MMG are and pursued employment.
    There were two rounds of interviewing, one round on campus with two analysts, both more recent graduates. Although I thought it would be intimidating to be interviewed by two people, they both were able to quickly put me at ease during the fit-related questions and were helpful to me during the brainteaser/math type questions.
    The second round of interviews was at the office. I met with both an Associate Partner and the CEO again. Both were brainteaser and math focused interviews and were more demanding than the initial interview with the analysts.
    After the sell lunch, I was certain I would accept my offer. We had lunch at the Blue Water Grill then went on to the office for a Casino night. People were smart and fun and it was a good fit for me!

Interview Questions
    I felt the offer was fair and did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MMG Partners in September 2010.

-personality/fit test, followed by consulting-esque questions and train teasers
    -first round with firm's analysts/associates and second round with partners and CEO
    -analysts and associates seemed nice, friendly
    -in office interview with partners/ceo was just weird

Interview Questions

Weird company, terrible offices, creepy partners, creepier CEO

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MMG Partners in November 2009.

The first interview was pretty relaxed. I think that the woman interviewing me was pretty fresh out of college or maybe it was her first interviewer experience. They emailed me that night asking me to come in for an interview the next day with the CEO. I thought that it was a bit weird that their CEO was interviewing college students. If the firm is so successful, then why doesn't a recruiter or HR manager do this? I understand that its small, but is the CEO micromanaging? Anyways, he was very abrupt, almost rude and he asked me two questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a consultant?   Answer Question
    • You have a normal functioning combination lock. Someone broke in to what this lock was holding, but the lock was not compromised in the process. What are two things that are wrong with this lock that make it easy for someone to crack.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MMG Partners in October 2009.

1st Interview - Interviewed by Analysts/Associates. Really easy, maybe a brain teaser and a qualitative question too.
    2nd Interview - Interviewed by CEO and two partners. Harder because they are looking for more specific things. Much harder brain teasers and case questions. Some of them have intentional traps in them. Make sure you talk things through and ask questions when necessary. You can tell if the CEO doesn't like you if he kicks you out of the interview room after 5 minutes, so be warned.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation unless you have another offer with a competing consulting firm.

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at MMG Partners in October 2009.

Interview with the COO of the firm, a nice guy. We spent 30 minutes going with my resume. Basically, it is a fit interview. Being prepared of what you can contribute to the firm is the most important thing.

Interview Questions
    • If you can a magic wand, what do you want to change yourself to work more efficiently   Answer Question
    • What is your most impressive achievement?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

1 on 1 with analyst, and final round with the CEO which could last in 5 min or more, so be prepared