MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2015
Updated Apr 11, 2015

2.9

Director Interview

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Moved fast at first, however they did seem disorganized. Questions at in person interviews centered on managing people and taking feedback on personal performance. Multiple in-person interviews scheduled for the day. Most were with different HR people. They seem to think they are experts at hiring based on the psychology and behavioral interviewing process, but I would argue they are incredibly over-complicating the process. I was very excited about the opportunity with the company, however in hindsight, I'm glad it didn't work out. The position is needed, but I have concerns they don't know what really happens in the job and how it helps a company's success. Took two months for them to follow-up after my final meetings that they were moving in a different direction. Again, pretty disorganized. If you want top-talent, you can't wait that long. Would love to know with whom they filled the job. My guess is with someone of the opposite sex than I and I'm ok with that. The only other women I saw were in HR. That may be a sign.

Interview Questions

• Sometimes we need to provide feedback to our employees, tell me how you approach the conversation?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Incredibly lengthy, redundant and impersonal. Very pretentious in tone, similar to a car salesman who feels they simply deserve your business. Very old methodology of screening candidates. A sizable company that apparently likes to play the 800b gorilla card....so beware when they preach family atmosphere and open door policies. Their actions and reputation say otherwise.

Interview Questions

• What concerns do have about MSC?   1 Answer

Night Shift Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

First was called by a recruiter for a phone interview that took 30 mins. The recruiter called me 45 mins later than when she was suppose too. After the phone interview I was invited for a face to face. I sat waiting for 30 minutes waiting to go back to start interview. I was interviewed by two people who it seem like they were new to interviewing they read 50 questions off a paper. Basically the same questions reworded. The Interview took 2 hours then they had me do a walk through the warehouse even though they knew they were not having me back for a second interview.

Process Improvement Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Interviewed multiple ways, via phone and face-to-face, (total of 8 interviews), Interviewed with HR, hiring manager (several times), interviewed with three other managers, interviewed by VP and hiring manager again. HR reviewed the benefits on last interview. Process was long and time consuming. No regard for interviewers time.

Internal Audit Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Several phone interviews with various managers in the department. Interviews lasted approximately 30 minutes to an hour. Some repetitive questions asked by different managers. Straight forward questions about my experience along with some questions regarding team building, etc.

Payroll Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Davidson, NC) in July 2014.

Interview

This position was in the Davidson, NC office.
    First point of contact after submitting my resume was from a recruiter in New York just to pre-screen. The next day, another call from the same recruiter to schedule a phone interview with one of the hiring managers the following day. Two days later, an interview with a slew of people in the Davidson office. Two who were physically in Davidson, and four people in New York via video conference.
    All of them were nice enough, though only one was directly related to Payroll. The next closest would be an HR person (to discuss benefits mostly) and an Accounts Payable Manager. This seemed a little odd.

Though the interview seemed to go well, I did not get a second interview. After following up with the recruiter, I was told that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Several people in the interview process asked questions regarding how I discipline my staff. I have been with my current company for a number of years and pride myself on the due diligence I put into my hiring process, and as a result, have had very few instances where I have had to discipline my staff. They did not seem pleased with that. Looking back on it, it seems that they may have been looking for more of a disciplinarian than a manager. It is unfortunate. In the course of management, you may have to discipline people, though I believe that if you put in your work on the front end and hire a top notch staff, you would gain more from having a leader than a disciplinarian.   Answer Question

Verifyer Checker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Fernley, NV) in July 2014.

Interview

Takes a long time to get hired on, I'm on my 3rd week now and still not confirmed hire. It's ok though, they should do a good job on investigating potential employees.

Interview Questions

• Previous employment and solidifying dates with companies   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. It is what it is.

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by an external recruiter about a Director position at MSC in North Carolina. The overall process took 4 months and I interviewed with about 10-12 people. 3 of the interviews were with HR representatives. Overall the process was structured like interviews in other large companies, but there were some warning signs along the way: (1) job title and job level was not in line with everybody else reporting to the hiring manager, this position was 2 levels below peers (2) HR interviews were primarily focused on disciplining under-performing employees (3) Nobody would give a true representation of what the company is like, everything was great. I personally prefer to get a honest idea of what is going on, so I know what I walk into (4) Long times between interviews (5) the personality testing and review with an industrial psychologist was very repetitive and even though some standard tests were used, there was a strong focus about depression/suicidal tendencies/daydreaming. The supervisory questionnaire again focused on dealing with under-performing employees. (5) I traveled to North Carolina for a second round of interviews. They were all conducted through video conferences with New York. No personal interview.

Interview Questions

• If you have a stellar employee who has been a high performer for a long time and she suddenly starts to fail what would you do?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Recruiter call, phone interview, face to face interview with Branch Manager, phone interview with Market Manager. Background and credit rating check, but no drug test. They want metal working experience when they can get it - those with it will be ranked as more valuable. New trend os to hire younger people with less experience and low ball on salary with a Ford Focus. Experience is not valued. They are now trying to be like Fastenal, not MSC.

Negotiation

Messy, they tried lowballing on salary. Ask for what you want or you won't get much.

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Melville, NY).

Interview

Interview process was good in the 90's They actually spoke to you and treated you like a human being not a number

Interview Questions

• didn't really ask a difficult question   1 Answer