MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Updated Jul 18, 2014

2.9

Branch Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in February 2010.

First interview was HR hiring manager by phone. Given the process procedures for hiring and that as you pass each one you will be moved on to the next step. The next week was 1:1 with hiring manager. Next week was IQ/Intelligence/Personality testing. Then next week flight to 1:1 with Regional Manager. 2 more phone interviews and flight to the corporate office for what was told final 4 interviews with National Managers and HR. Next week added another 1:1 interview with prior position holder. Another week to be told that an offer would not be given with little or no feedback from the hiring manager. I exceeded the experience and qualifications and had all positive feedback until the prior position holder interview. It was a very negative experience with personal attacks on my experience and qualifications and totally unprofessional. I contacted the HR hiring manager for further explanation and mostly given the company story line. I was finally told that I did not have the "strategic sales experience" needed for the position. I do not recall being asked any questions concerning my "strategic sales knowledge." It took 8 weeks and 10 total interviews for a "no offer." An experience I hope to never be put through again. I consider it a waste of mine and the company's time and money.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can handle this position?   View Answer

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in January 2012.

The interview process for this company is brutal. In fact, I would go so far as to say the interview process is over the top. I had 14 interviews (inlcuding two calls with a psychologist and a 5 hour personality and skills test). I had two corporate interviewers that questioned the validity of my education (online must be lesser than brick and mortar...right?) which is absurd. I was then flown to meet a vice president. No car was sent...instead I had to pay nearly $100 for a taxi and request a reimbursement from the corporate office (BTW, I have not seen the reimbursement and they will not take my call). I was told at the interview that I scored "off the charts" on the tests and that I would be happy with the package that would be presented to me when I got home. At that point all calls ceased, so I called them and was told random excuses such as so and so is in a meeting. Nevertheless, after nearly two to three weeks I got a decline letter dated one week prior to when I recieved the letter.

At the end of the day I would have turned the offer down. One week after my flight I had, had enough of an obvious inability to facilitate swift or decisive decision-making. They hide behind reasons of corporate culture; however, I question how abuse of applicants leads to a great corporate culture. I think education is not important; in fact, I posit my education was held against me (a threat maybe?). Here's the thing...is you are willing to spend months and gamble not getting a job then go ahead and waste your time. If that is not what you're wanting to do then I suggest you look elsewhere. You could start, quit, and start a new job in the time it took MSC to say no to me.

Other comments:
    Each interview starts with the age old "tell me who you have talked to" (make sure to keep a list because it will be a long list). BTW they know exactly who you have talked to; I know this because of interviewer comments about previous people I spoke with.

Seriously plan on 4.5-6 hours for the psychological battery. BTW, the psychlogical batteries are not using the appropriate answer forms. What I mean is that the psychologist is using tests without forms that were paid for (this likely means the psychologist no longer has the right or license to the tests)...no proof here...I just find it odd to use random answer sheets. Oh, the second call with the psychologist was at 7am, even after I requested a later time due to kids getting ready for school. (Absurd...who do you think you are?)

Plan on a panel interview....or not....In my case they made be have 4-5 seperate one-hour calls.

Again, I would have turned this offer down. I am bummed I did not get that chance...since they refuse to take my call I have decided to post here.

MSC is a large company...I do not know internal culture....but they act like their manager candidates are already employees. A waste of my time...oh, and any business manager could tell you that paying for airline tickets, 14 interviews, and a psychologist is a waste of money. There are much better ways to find talented and commited employees.

National Accounts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Was contacted by 3rd party recruiter, went through MSC's process which took literally 11 weeks. Including a 3 hour skills assessment test and phone call with a NYC Psychologist.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me 2 things that are not on your resume that should be.   Answer Question

Bsm Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in December 2009.

It took about 16 interviews to land the job. They will run you through a recruiter, then screening by their HR department. From there you will meet with the Market Manager. If things go well, you will then fly to New York for more interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The psychology test via Doctor Goldberg. You will be required to spend an hour with him on the phone.   View Answer
    Rigid. The HR Department gives you a take it or leave type offer. Read the non-compete carefully as it is non-negotiable and is very restrictive. If I were to do it again. I would not sign this document.

Government Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

took forever from initial recruiter interview to onboarding. Several telephone interviews, two face to face, interview with local Branch manager, two more phone interviews with various managers who you NEVER saw again, one hour interview with a shrink who asked you far too many personal questions about your home life, then you flew to NY for a day filled with further grilling. DON'T SIGN THE NON-COMPETE!!!!

Interview Questions
    there is no real negotiation..they throw the contract at you...you take it or leave it.

OSA Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in August 2011.

Very long interview process and the background check timeline can make you crazy...but it you tell the truth and just be yourself you'll stand out. MSC hired real people to sell to customers. The process it started by their corporate recruiters who are very friendly and focused on what they are hiring for. local manager takes over and is also very friendly.

tried to negotiate salary but it is what it is.

Verifyer Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fernley, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fernley, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2014.

Takes a long time to get hired on, I'm on my 3rd week now and still not confirmed hire. It's ok though, they should do a good job on investigating potential employees.

Interview Questions
    • Previous employment and solidifying dates with companies   View Answer
    No negotiation. It is what it is.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

We typically have the OSA (Outside Sales Associate) meet with Recruiting, then Recruiting and the hiring manager. Depending about the accounts and territory, perhaps a third round with interested parties.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer how you will generate new business.   View Answer
    I've been with MSC for a number of years.
    I'm a hiring manager and I do not negotiate all that much.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview process was good in the 90's They actually spoke to you and treated you like a human being not a number

Interview Questions
    • didn't really ask a difficult question   View Answer

Packer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Elkhart, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elkhart, IN

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in September 2010.

The interview process was not difficult. It was a two step process. The initial interview was to complete personal information. The second step was to actually "try out" the job for a day. If you were successful, you were called back.

None.

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!