MSC Industrial Direct Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.9

Branch Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in February 2010.

Interview

First interview was HR hiring manager by phone. Given the process procedures for hiring and that as you pass each one you will be moved on to the next step. The next week was 1:1 with hiring manager. Next week was IQ/Intelligence/Personality testing. Then next week flight to 1:1 with Regional Manager. 2 more phone interviews and flight to the corporate office for what was told final 4 interviews with National Managers and HR. Next week added another 1:1 interview with prior position holder. Another week to be told that an offer would not be given with little or no feedback from the hiring manager. I exceeded the experience and qualifications and had all positive feedback until the prior position holder interview. It was a very negative experience with personal attacks on my experience and qualifications and totally unprofessional. I contacted the HR hiring manager for further explanation and mostly given the company story line. I was finally told that I did not have the "strategic sales experience" needed for the position. I do not recall being asked any questions concerning my "strategic sales knowledge." It took 8 weeks and 10 total interviews for a "no offer." An experience I hope to never be put through again. I consider it a waste of mine and the company's time and money.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you can handle this position?   1 Answer

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process for this company is brutal. In fact, I would go so far as to say the interview process is over the top. I had 14 interviews (inlcuding two calls with a psychologist and a 5 hour personality and skills test). I had two corporate interviewers that questioned the validity of my education (online must be lesser than brick and mortar...right?) which is absurd. I was then flown to meet a vice president. No car was sent...instead I had to pay nearly $100 for a taxi and request a reimbursement from the corporate office (BTW, I have not seen the reimbursement and they will not take my call). I was told at the interview that I scored "off the charts" on the tests and that I would be happy with the package that would be presented to me when I got home. At that point all calls ceased, so I called them and was told random excuses such as so and so is in a meeting. Nevertheless, after nearly two to three weeks I got a decline letter dated one week prior to when I recieved the letter. At the end of the day I would have turned the offer down. One week after my flight I had, had enough of an obvious inability to facilitate swift or decisive decision-making. They hide behind reasons of corporate culture; however, I question how abuse of applicants leads to a great corporate culture. I think education is not important; in fact, I posit my education was held against me (a threat maybe?). Here's the thing...is you are willing to spend months and gamble not getting a job then go ahead and waste your time. If that is not what you're wanting to do then I suggest you look elsewhere. You could start, quit, and start a new job in the time it took MSC to say no to me. Other comments: Each interview starts with the age old "tell me who you have talked to" (make sure to keep a list because it will be a long list). BTW they know exactly who you have talked to; I know this because of interviewer comments about previous people I spoke with. Seriously plan on 4.5-6 hours for the psychological battery. BTW, the psychlogical batteries are not using the appropriate answer forms. What I mean is that the psychologist is using tests without forms that were paid for (this likely means the psychologist no longer has the right or license to the tests)...no proof here...I just find it odd to use random answer sheets. Oh, the second call with the psychologist was at 7am, even after I requested a later time due to kids getting ready for school. (Absurd...who do you think you are?) Plan on a panel interview....or not....In my case they made be have 4-5 seperate one-hour calls. Again, I would have turned this offer down. I am bummed I did not get that chance...since they refuse to take my call I have decided to post here. MSC is a large company...I do not know internal culture....but they act like their manager candidates are already employees. A waste of my time...oh, and any business manager could tell you that paying for airline tickets, 14 interviews, and a psychologist is a waste of money. There are much better ways to find talented and commited employees.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses   1 Answer
    • Who have you interviewed with?   1 Answer

Bsm Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Melville, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

It took about 16 interviews to land the job. They will run you through a recruiter, then screening by their HR department. From there you will meet with the Market Manager. If things go well, you will then fly to New York for more interviews.

Interview Questions

• The psychology test via Doctor Goldberg. You will be required to spend an hour with him on the phone.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Rigid. The HR Department gives you a take it or leave type offer. Read the non-compete carefully as it is non-negotiable and is very restrictive. If I were to do it again. I would not sign this document.

National Accounts Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Was contacted by 3rd party recruiter, went through MSC's process which took literally 11 weeks. Including a 3 hour skills assessment test and phone call with a NYC Psychologist.

Interview Questions

• Tell me 2 things that are not on your resume that should be.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Through my interview process, I started to get the feeling that I knew more about sales than the DSM I interviewed with. Very uncomfortable process and it really made me skeptical about the next step in the interest process.

Better Offer

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

First was called by a recruiter for a phone interview that took 30 mins. The recruiter called me 45 mins later than when she was suppose too. After the phone interview I was invited for a face to face. I sat waiting for 30 minutes waiting to go back to start interview. I was interviewed by two people who it seem like they were new to interviewing they read 50 questions off a paper. Basically the same questions reworded. The Interview took 2 hours then they had me do a walk through the warehouse even though they knew they were not having me back for a second interview.

IT Ops Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Melville, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Efficient. Was called very shortly after submitting resume and appt set up quickly. Two interviews. Pleasant management experience. Did not interview with Dagro.Would never have taken position if I had even one minute in the same room with him.

Interview Questions

• What have you heard about MSC   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview

Several phone interviews with various managers in the department. Interviews lasted approximately 30 minutes to an hour. Some repetitive questions asked by different managers. Straight forward questions about my experience along with some questions regarding team building, etc.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Houston, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

Unrealistic picture of role as account executive. I was very excited when I interviewed for my position unfortunately the picture presented was not an accurate picture of reality. The interview and hiring process are similar to other companies I have worked for in the past.

Interview Questions

• The interview process was standard nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were not willing to negotiate on salary or vacation.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Detroit, MI) in January 2011.

Interview

It was a good expierience. Many standard questions about how would you react dealing with angry customers, and things of that nature. More questions that we not as common to me but are heavily touched on in the company were about how you would define "culture." This company really emphasizes their culture.

Interview Questions

• Asked how I would define culture.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was a phone call post interview. They offered me an approximate salary, which worked out to be $X an hour which I accepted.