MSC Industrial Direct

Average Difficulty
34 candidate interviews

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview Details – You have 2-3 calls with hiring recruiter. Once you get past this process you have 2 in person meetings with hiring DSM. After you pass this process you have phone interview with Regional Vice President of Sales.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation needed since offer was at high end of salary range.

Driver Interview

Driver

Interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct

Interview Details – Submitted by temp agency, shot interview and drug test and I got the job

Interview Question – Have you been in any car accidents on the job and why   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NO

Very Easy Interview

Telesales Interview

Telesales
Jonestown, PA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2008.

Interview Details – You had to attend a job fair first where they did the initial interview. Once they cleared you through that, you had to do a "spend a day". This consisted of 4 hours sitting with employees doing the job. That was worthless since the lady I sat with was working on a large problem that had not much to do with the position. I had to do role play with the manager and sell her something. She used items I was selling at my other job. Typical questions about background.

Interview Question – Role playing with the manager. I never did that before and had to think on my feet.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated nothing.

Customer Segment Manager Interview

Customer Segment Manager
Melville, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in March 2009.

Interview Details – The MSC HR recruiter was very professional and outgoing -- she was the best part of the whole interview process. Before that, the 3rd party recruiter who had handed me off did not understand the original job spec very well, having thought the position was direct marketing related -- it was in reality, a business development position --- I adjusted early in the game --- which landed me in headquarters for a live 1:1 interviews.

The hiring team interview process was a significant let down in 2 out of 3 1:1's. There were even some pot shots taken at my professional qualifications ("well-educated people" was the word I heard a few times). I think they were enjoying seeing the out-of-work, well-educated people on the street looking for work at a company such as MSC. After a strong phone interview and invitation to come in for a 1:1, the hiring manager slouched in his seat during my live 1:1. I believe the prior interviewer gave me a "down check" as I sensed intense competition about my skills/experiences versus his.

After the interview, I received very ambiguous nonconstructive feedback from the 3rd party recruiter. After this, I actually followed up with the hiring manager (who declined to comment and referred me to HR). In fact, my post-interview follow-ups earned an amateurish HR rejection letter from the very charismatic HR recruiter. It was a shame, I sensed she wanted to say more and provide more definitive feedback but duly followed HR policy.

My advice, only apply for a management position if you don't have an MBA or significant experience -- these and other professional qualifications, savvy and confidence spooked the hiring team --- hey look, they've been there there for over 10 years, who needs "Maverick" from Top Gun to shake things up. In short, they were looking for Gumby.

Interview Question – Tell me how you develop marketing plans?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Finance
Melville, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in March 2010.

Interview Details – General discussion of skills and experience; they thought I was overqualified. Company wasn't convinced that the position was challenging enough and seemed to feel it was a dead end job without even giving the benefit of the doubt to the candidate. Something isn't right with the employee philosophy of the company. Employees are apparently not valued. They have no concept of talent acquisition. Prior comments are 100% accurate. Surprised the company has survived but would'nt be if they don't make it in the tougher environment ahead. Could be a good short stock play.

Interview Question – Why are you willing to take a pay cut?   View Answer

Senior Supply Planner Interview

Senior Supply Planner
Davidson, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in April 2013.

Interview Details – 1 hour phone interview with their HR person/recruiter.
Next step was a 2 hour phone interview with the team leaders (one hour each, 2 team leads). Very easy-going and both seemed impresssed.
After that was a full day face-to-face (they flew me to their HQ) where I met with 5-6 separate managers. All were very friendly and seemed VERY interested in me.

Interview Question – No tough questions at all! Mostly about my background. Had to take an Excel test.   Answer Question

Telesales Account Executive Interview

Telesales Account Executive
Wood Dale, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume through their web site and received an initial contact from HR a week later. The lady was helpful and lead me in the right direction. It took about 2½ weeks to get another call from an outbound telesales supervisor for a 1:1 interview. My resume seemed impressive enough to cut to the chase and within 20 minutes I knew it was a metric oriented job (phone time and # of contacts is monitored). Went to another interview a week later this time with a younger manager who was late and seemed to be drinking too much company cool aid.

Both explained benefits and reasons to grow with the company (401k, medical & dental insurance, profit sharing, job advancement, etc..) yet the atmosphere seemed very cookie cutter and stale by the variety of wrinkled up shirts. Office environment is bright and looks very new.

Interview Question – What are your selling points?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – When applying for fix salaried sales jobs it's important to realize a full potential to be earned if an annual goal is met (base salary + bonus - taxes = net income). Both managers were not very open to to this but willing to give the regular mumbo jumbo such as uncapped, month-to-month, and performance based. The base salary was $10k less than my previous job. Felt it was very entry level and not a good fit.

Inside Sales Associate Interview

Inside Sales Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in December 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process is a nightmare. It takes a minimum of 3 months to get an acceptance or denial of employment. Although the questions are pretty scripted and easily answered, they tend not to let you know exactly what you will be doing. I had 3 face to face interviews with branch management and 1 phone interview with their "corporate headhunter."

Interview Question – No real noteworthy questions that they ask. They are all pretty basic and common interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiations. They have a set amount that they will pay and will not budge on any other type of compensations that you may ask for i.e. vacation time, etc.

Inside Sales Associate Interview

Inside Sales Associate
Charleston, SC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone, face to face

Negotiation Details – offer was made.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview Details – Recruiter call, phone interview, face to face interview with Branch Manager, phone interview with Market Manager. Background and credit rating check, but no drug test. They want metal working experience when they can get it - those with it will be ranked as more valuable. New trend os to hire younger people with less experience and low ball on salary with a Ford Focus. Experience is not valued. They are now trying to be like Fastenal, not MSC.

Negotiation Details – Messy, they tried lowballing on salary. Ask for what you want or you won't get much.

Interviews for Top Jobs at MSC Industrial Direct

Worked for MSC Industrial Direct? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MSC Industrial Direct interview questions and advice. All 34 interview reviews posted anonymously by MSC Industrial Direct employees and interview candidates.