MSC Industrial Direct

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.9

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

You have 2-3 calls with hiring recruiter. Once you get past this process you have 2 in person meetings with hiring DSM. After you pass this process you have phone interview with Regional Vice President of Sales.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation needed since offer was at high end of salary range.

Driver Interview

Submitted by temp agency, shot interview and drug test and I got the job

Telesales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jonestown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jonestown, PA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2008.

You had to attend a job fair first where they did the initial interview. Once they cleared you through that, you had to do a "spend a day". This consisted of 4 hours sitting with employees doing the job. That was worthless since the lady I sat with was working on a large problem that had not much to do with the position. I had to do role play with the manager and sell her something. She used items I was selling at my other job. Typical questions about background.

Interview Questions
    • Role playing with the manager. I never did that before and had to think on my feet.   Answer Question
    Negotiated nothing.

Customer Segment Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in March 2009.

The MSC HR recruiter was very professional and outgoing -- she was the best part of the whole interview process. Before that, the 3rd party recruiter who had handed me off did not understand the original job spec very well, having thought the position was direct marketing related -- it was in reality, a business development position --- I adjusted early in the game --- which landed me in headquarters for a live 1:1 interviews.

The hiring team interview process was a significant let down in 2 out of 3 1:1's. There were even some pot shots taken at my professional qualifications ("well-educated people" was the word I heard a few times). I think they were enjoying seeing the out-of-work, well-educated people on the street looking for work at a company such as MSC. After a strong phone interview and invitation to come in for a 1:1, the hiring manager slouched in his seat during my live 1:1. I believe the prior interviewer gave me a "down check" as I sensed intense competition about my skills/experiences versus his.

After the interview, I received very ambiguous nonconstructive feedback from the 3rd party recruiter. After this, I actually followed up with the hiring manager (who declined to comment and referred me to HR). In fact, my post-interview follow-ups earned an amateurish HR rejection letter from the very charismatic HR recruiter. It was a shame, I sensed she wanted to say more and provide more definitive feedback but duly followed HR policy.

My advice, only apply for a management position if you don't have an MBA or significant experience -- these and other professional qualifications, savvy and confidence spooked the hiring team --- hey look, they've been there there for over 10 years, who needs "Maverick" from Top Gun to shake things up. In short, they were looking for Gumby.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in March 2010.

General discussion of skills and experience; they thought I was overqualified. Company wasn't convinced that the position was challenging enough and seemed to feel it was a dead end job without even giving the benefit of the doubt to the candidate. Something isn't right with the employee philosophy of the company. Employees are apparently not valued. They have no concept of talent acquisition. Prior comments are 100% accurate. Surprised the company has survived but would'nt be if they don't make it in the tougher environment ahead. Could be a good short stock play.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you willing to take a pay cut?   View Answer

Senior Supply Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davidson, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in April 2013.

1 hour phone interview with their HR person/recruiter.
    Next step was a 2 hour phone interview with the team leaders (one hour each, 2 team leads). Very easy-going and both seemed impresssed.
    After that was a full day face-to-face (they flew me to their HQ) where I met with 5-6 separate managers. All were very friendly and seemed VERY interested in me.

Interview Questions
    • No tough questions at all! Mostly about my background. Had to take an Excel test.   Answer Question

Telesales Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wood Dale, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wood Dale, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in July 2011.

Submitted my resume through their web site and received an initial contact from HR a week later. The lady was helpful and lead me in the right direction. It took about 2½ weeks to get another call from an outbound telesales supervisor for a 1:1 interview. My resume seemed impressive enough to cut to the chase and within 20 minutes I knew it was a metric oriented job (phone time and # of contacts is monitored). Went to another interview a week later this time with a younger manager who was late and seemed to be drinking too much company cool aid.

Both explained benefits and reasons to grow with the company (401k, medical & dental insurance, profit sharing, job advancement, etc..) yet the atmosphere seemed very cookie cutter and stale by the variety of wrinkled up shirts. Office environment is bright and looks very new.

Interview Questions

When applying for fix salaried sales jobs it's important to realize a full potential to be earned if an annual goal is met (base salary + bonus - taxes = net income). Both managers were not very open to to this but willing to give the regular mumbo jumbo such as uncapped, month-to-month, and performance based. The base salary was $10k less than my previous job. Felt it was very entry level and not a good fit.

Inside Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in December 2012.

Hiring process is a nightmare. It takes a minimum of 3 months to get an acceptance or denial of employment. Although the questions are pretty scripted and easily answered, they tend not to let you know exactly what you will be doing. I had 3 face to face interviews with branch management and 1 phone interview with their "corporate headhunter."

Interview Questions
    • No real noteworthy questions that they ask. They are all pretty basic and common interview questions.   Answer Question
    No real negotiations. They have a set amount that they will pay and will not budge on any other type of compensations that you may ask for i.e. vacation time, etc.

Inside Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in May 2010.

Phone, face to face

offer was made.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Recruiter call, phone interview, face to face interview with Branch Manager, phone interview with Market Manager. Background and credit rating check, but no drug test. They want metal working experience when they can get it - those with it will be ranked as more valuable. New trend os to hire younger people with less experience and low ball on salary with a Ford Focus. Experience is not valued. They are now trying to be like Fastenal, not MSC.

Messy, they tried lowballing on salary. Ask for what you want or you won't get much.