Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at MSC Industrial Direct
- Account Executive (4)
- Director (3)
- Sales Manager (2)
- Inside Sales Associate (2)
- Order Picker (2)
- Payroll Supervisor (1)
- Packer (1)
- Driver (1)
- National Account Manager (1)
- National Accounts Manager (1)
- Process Improvement Specialist (1)
- Procurement (1)
- Branch Sales Manager (1)
- Management Position (1)
- Government Account Manager (1)
- Java Developer III (1)
- OSA (1)
- Senior Supply Planner (1)
- Telesales Account Executive (1)
- Searchandiser (1)
- Senior Manager Digital Marketing (1)
- Management Postion (1)
- Verifyer Checker (1)
- Merchandiser Selector (1)
- Verifier/Checker (1)
- IT Analyst (1)
- GSA National Accounts Manager (1)
- Sales (1)
- Inside Sales (1)
- Customer Segment Manager (1)
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Garden Grove, CA) in July 2015.
I had two phone screening calls. One was for the headhunter that contacted me and the other was the HR department from MSC. After, I had a one on one interview with the direct manager. I did not receive word until probably a week and a half later.
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Fernley, NV) in June 2014.
Standard question & answer. Basic self assessment questions. Interview with 3 levels of management. 4 or 5 days between the many processes of getting hired to actually working. Easy if you give generic "I'm awesome" answers. Be confident with each level and smile a lot.
- When are you considered late 1 Answer
- Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.
It was very simple like any other but for this job the good thing about it is they give you a Spend A Day that you actually do the job a day before you get hired to see if you like it.
- What kind of previous experience you have Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Mableton, GA) in April 2015.
They ask very simple questions, its a two day process. The interview and the spend a day performance interview. Its very easy just verify the label and pick the right amount for the customer. After that they would determine if you can get the position or not. Also even if your job is not selecting you are going to get trained in that position for when the picking department needs assistance.
- Have you ever worked in a warehouse position before? Answer Question
- Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Melville, NY) in January 2011.
Phone Interview. FIrst Interview with HR, Tech Lead, Manager Second Interview with Tech Lead, Manager again. 3 week wait Interview with HR, Manager, Director HR was friendly. The two Tech Leads were very technical and knew the processes. The Manager was mostly concerned about not having any issues. The Director did not ask me any prepared questions. I found the process to be a bit long.
- Tech Lead asked good SDLC questions. Manager asked good questions about requirements definitions, handling ambiguous requirements, and conflict. Director was distracted. 1 Answer
The offer was as is. No negotiation was allowed, although I tried. They were firm on 2 weeks vacation. No bargaining.
Helpful (2)Declined OfferNeutral ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.
Through my interview process, I started to get the feeling that I knew more about sales than the DSM I interviewed with. Very uncomfortable process and it really made me skeptical about the next step in the interest process.
- I was never asked what my approach to selling was. Answer Question
Reasons for Declining
- Declined OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.
Great interview the interviewer was complimentary and professional, seem to ask very good questions that were applicable to me and to the position I was interviewing for it went smoothly and I was taken to the next step in the process what they call spend a day..
- Tell me about a problem that you solved without supervision Answer Question
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.
Moved fast at first, however they did seem disorganized. Questions at in person interviews centered on managing people and taking feedback on personal performance. Multiple in-person interviews scheduled for the day. Most were with different HR people. They seem to think they are experts at hiring based on the psychology and behavioral interviewing process, but I would argue they are incredibly over-complicating the process. I was very excited about the opportunity with the company, however in hindsight, I'm glad it didn't work out. The position is needed, but I have concerns they don't know what really happens in the job and how it helps a company's success. Took two months for them to follow-up after my final meetings that they were moving in a different direction. Again, pretty disorganized. If you want top-talent, you can't wait that long. Would love to know with whom they filled the job. My guess is with someone of the opposite sex than I and I'm ok with that. The only other women I saw were in HR. That may be a sign.
- Sometimes we need to provide feedback to our employees, tell me how you approach the conversation? Answer Question
- Declined OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct (New York, NY) in March 2015.
Incredibly lengthy, redundant and impersonal. Very pretentious in tone, similar to a car salesman who feels they simply deserve your business. Very old methodology of screening candidates. A sizable company that apparently likes to play the 800b gorilla card....so beware when they preach family atmosphere and open door policies. Their actions and reputation say otherwise.
- What concerns do have about MSC? 1 Answer
- No OfferAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.
First was called by a recruiter for a phone interview that took 30 mins. The recruiter called me 45 mins later than when she was suppose too. After the phone interview I was invited for a face to face. I sat waiting for 30 minutes waiting to go back to start interview. I was interviewed by two people who it seem like they were new to interviewing they read 50 questions off a paper. Basically the same questions reworded. The Interview took 2 hours then they had me do a walk through the warehouse even though they knew they were not having me back for a second interview.
- Are you nervous Answer Question
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review