MSC Industrial Direct

Updated Jan 4, 2015

2.9

Management Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Process took 4+ months. Initial phone screening interview with HR Recruiter followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Then no communication, i tried to get feedback on progress from recruiter, got the standard line of "we'll get back to you when any decision has been made". Asked to have a few more phone interviews with seemingly random people. Between each interview I had to chase the company for results, next steps and general trying to keep on their radar. Requested that I complete an application form but that had already been done a month before (great paperwork tracking system, not! - this should have been an early warning flag for me). Then 'radio silence' for 2 months, I actually thought that I had been dropped as I couldn't get any response from the internal recruiter.

Final interviews at HQ and were organized very poorly. I was told to arrive at 10am, but when I got there my first interview was scheduled at noon so I had to sit in the building foyer for two hours. The interviews themselves were pretty standard and all the interviewers were very positive about my skills and experience. Then never heard from the company. I contacted them weekly for four weeks asking for an update, eventually I gave up. When they finally got back to me I was told that they were going to repost the position with some different job tasks.

MSC is clearly internally disorganized and has difficulties executing on decisions. I should have listened to my gut early on and not wasted 5 months.

Management Postion Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Phone Interview with HR and the following week with the hiring manager.
    No communication for 6 weeks (thought they moved on)…
    Got an email from HR asking for application to be filled out (even though had already sent it) and that I take a management assessment test.
    Followed up 4 weeks later by onsite interview, all day, 8-9 interview sessions, a little overboard but all pretty standard. Very positive feedback from interviewers, very positive feedback from HR.
    Never heard from company again, not one word good or bad. Professional courtesy would dictate you thank someone for the considerable amount of their time you wasted and let them know you are going in another direction!
    This company clearly has issues making decisions and executing, can’t imagine how hard it would be to actually accomplished something there.

Interview Questions
    • Management Assessment - Pretty standard IQ, management aptitude and personality tests (outdated though). Interview with Psychologist was a joke, he seemed more interested in what I currently earn then assessing ‘my personality’ and he had a tantrum when I questioned why he was asking certain things. Most unprofessional conversation I have had as part of an interview.   Answer Question

Driver Interview

Submitted by temp agency, shot interview and drug test and I got the job

Senior Manager Digital Marketing Interview

Very lengthy phone interview that appeared to be more about the the HR person proving that she knew the marketing industry.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were fairly granular, but nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Java Developer III Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in October 2013.

Initial HR round, followed by technical phone screen and then a final on-site interview with 3 to 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • Why would make method arguments final?   View Answer
    They were not very willing negotiate, It was more like take it or leave it.
    They ended making a very decent offer, so I accepted.

Procurement Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview process lasted a very long time, all day. The interview ran long causing me to miss my flight which I paid for myself. The interview turned out to be for a position that I was significantly overqualified for.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were standard. They did make you take an excel test on Excel 2003 which I hadn't used in years.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

You have 2-3 calls with hiring recruiter. Once you get past this process you have 2 in person meetings with hiring DSM. After you pass this process you have phone interview with Regional Vice President of Sales.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation needed since offer was at high end of salary range.

Senior Supply Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davidson, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in April 2013.

1 hour phone interview with their HR person/recruiter.
    Next step was a 2 hour phone interview with the team leaders (one hour each, 2 team leads). Very easy-going and both seemed impresssed.
    After that was a full day face-to-face (they flew me to their HQ) where I met with 5-6 separate managers. All were very friendly and seemed VERY interested in me.

Interview Questions
    • No tough questions at all! Mostly about my background. Had to take an Excel test.   Answer Question

Government Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

took forever from initial recruiter interview to onboarding. Several telephone interviews, two face to face, interview with local Branch manager, two more phone interviews with various managers who you NEVER saw again, one hour interview with a shrink who asked you far too many personal questions about your home life, then you flew to NY for a day filled with further grilling. DON'T SIGN THE NON-COMPETE!!!!

Interview Questions
    there is no real negotiation..they throw the contract at you...you take it or leave it.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in January 2013.

1. Phone interview with HR
    2. Face to face 2hr face to face with some psych questions.
    3. 1hr "test drive" with a current associate
    4. Hurry up and wait back ground check and drug screen

Interview Questions
    • What qualifies you as a candidate for this position   View Answer