MSC Industrial Direct

35 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Associate Interview

Inside Sales Associate

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in December 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process is a nightmare. It takes a minimum of 3 months to get an acceptance or denial of employment. Although the questions are pretty scripted and easily answered, they tend not to let you know exactly what you will be doing. I had 3 face to face interviews with branch management and 1 phone interview with their "corporate headhunter."

Interview Question – No real noteworthy questions that they ask. They are all pretty basic and common interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiations. They have a set amount that they will pay and will not budge on any other type of compensations that you may ask for i.e. vacation time, etc.

Management Position Interview

Management Position
Davidson, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview Details – Process took 4+ months. Initial phone screening interview with HR Recruiter followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Then no communication, i tried to get feedback on progress from recruiter, got the standard line of "we'll get back to you when any decision has been made". Asked to have a few more phone interviews with seemingly random people. Between each interview I had to chase the company for results, next steps and general trying to keep on their radar. Requested that I complete an application form but that had already been done a month before (great paperwork tracking system, not! - this should have been an early warning flag for me). Then 'radio silence' for 2 months, I actually thought that I had been dropped as I couldn't get any response from the internal recruiter.

Final interviews at HQ and were organized very poorly. I was told to arrive at 10am, but when I got there my first interview was scheduled at noon so I had to sit in the building foyer for two hours. The interviews themselves were pretty standard and all the interviewers were very positive about my skills and experience. Then never heard from the company. I contacted them weekly for four weeks asking for an update, eventually I gave up. When they finally got back to me I was told that they were going to repost the position with some different job tasks.

MSC is clearly internally disorganized and has difficulties executing on decisions. I should have listened to my gut early on and not wasted 5 months.

Management Postion Interview

Management Postion

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview Details – Phone Interview with HR and the following week with the hiring manager.
No communication for 6 weeks (thought they moved on)…
Got an email from HR asking for application to be filled out (even though had already sent it) and that I take a management assessment test.
Followed up 4 weeks later by onsite interview, all day, 8-9 interview sessions, a little overboard but all pretty standard. Very positive feedback from interviewers, very positive feedback from HR.
Never heard from company again, not one word good or bad. Professional courtesy would dictate you thank someone for the considerable amount of their time you wasted and let them know you are going in another direction!
This company clearly has issues making decisions and executing, can’t imagine how hard it would be to actually accomplished something there.

Interview Question – Management Assessment - Pretty standard IQ, management aptitude and personality tests (outdated though). Interview with Psychologist was a joke, he seemed more interested in what I currently earn then assessing ‘my personality’ and he had a tantrum when I questioned why he was asking certain things. Most unprofessional conversation I have had as part of an interview.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Detroit, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in January 2011.

Interview Details – It was a good expierience. Many standard questions about how would you react dealing with angry customers, and things of that nature. More questions that we not as common to me but are heavily touched on in the company were about how you would define "culture." This company really emphasizes their culture.

Interview Question – Asked how I would define culture.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a phone call post interview. They offered me an approximate salary, which worked out to be $X an hour which I accepted.

Driver Interview

Driver

Interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct

Interview Details – Submitted by temp agency, shot interview and drug test and I got the job

Interview Question – Have you been in any car accidents on the job and why   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NO

Senior Manager Digital Marketing Interview

Senior Manager Digital Marketing

Interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct

Interview Details – Very lengthy phone interview that appeared to be more about the the HR person proving that she knew the marketing industry.

Interview Question – All of the questions were fairly granular, but nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Senior Supply Planner Interview

Senior Supply Planner
Davidson, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in April 2013.

Interview Details – 1 hour phone interview with their HR person/recruiter.
Next step was a 2 hour phone interview with the team leaders (one hour each, 2 team leads). Very easy-going and both seemed impresssed.
After that was a full day face-to-face (they flew me to their HQ) where I met with 5-6 separate managers. All were very friendly and seemed VERY interested in me.

Interview Question – No tough questions at all! Mostly about my background. Had to take an Excel test.   Answer Question

Procurement Interview

Procurement

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview Details – Interview process lasted a very long time, all day. The interview ran long causing me to miss my flight which I paid for myself. The interview turned out to be for a position that I was significantly overqualified for.

Interview Question – Most questions were standard. They did make you take an excel test on Excel 2003 which I hadn't used in years.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Interview Details – You have 2-3 calls with hiring recruiter. Once you get past this process you have 2 in person meetings with hiring DSM. After you pass this process you have phone interview with Regional Vice President of Sales.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation needed since offer was at high end of salary range.

Sales Interview

Sales
New York, NY

I applied in-person - interviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in August 2009.

Interview Details – There are several steps to the interview process. Initially there is a phone call with management to determine phone skills and appropriateness for the position. If this is acceptable, then there is a face-to-face interview with management. If there is interest there is a second interview. Finally, there is an offer to spend the day observing the job being completed in order to determine personality fit.

Interview Question – questions are standard and look for specific examples of success   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – set base salary, no negotiation on salary or time

Interviews for Top Jobs at MSC Industrial Direct