MSC Industrial Direct Sales Manager Interview Questions

4.0

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct.

Long process, this as promised in initial contacts, but their internal confusion and promotion from within created a climate where they promised that they were going to fill the position externally, and really were only going to fill the position internally. Don't know if they were just seeking new ideas from external candidates, or if they are simply unethical. Either way , their credibility should be questioned.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MSC Industrial Direct

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at MSC Industrial Direct in January 2012.

The interview process for this company is brutal. In fact, I would go so far as to say the interview process is over the top. I had 14 interviews (inlcuding two calls with a psychologist and a 5 hour personality and skills test). I had two corporate interviewers that questioned the validity of my education (online must be lesser than brick and mortar...right?) which is absurd. I was then flown to meet a vice president. No car was sent...instead I had to pay nearly $100 for a taxi and request a reimbursement from the corporate office (BTW, I have not seen the reimbursement and they will not take my call). I was told at the interview that I scored "off the charts" on the tests and that I would be happy with the package that would be presented to me when I got home. At that point all calls ceased, so I called them and was told random excuses such as so and so is in a meeting. Nevertheless, after nearly two to three weeks I got a decline letter dated one week prior to when I recieved the letter.

At the end of the day I would have turned the offer down. One week after my flight I had, had enough of an obvious inability to facilitate swift or decisive decision-making. They hide behind reasons of corporate culture; however, I question how abuse of applicants leads to a great corporate culture. I think education is not important; in fact, I posit my education was held against me (a threat maybe?). Here's the thing...is you are willing to spend months and gamble not getting a job then go ahead and waste your time. If that is not what you're wanting to do then I suggest you look elsewhere. You could start, quit, and start a new job in the time it took MSC to say no to me.

Other comments:
    Each interview starts with the age old "tell me who you have talked to" (make sure to keep a list because it will be a long list). BTW they know exactly who you have talked to; I know this because of interviewer comments about previous people I spoke with.

Seriously plan on 4.5-6 hours for the psychological battery. BTW, the psychlogical batteries are not using the appropriate answer forms. What I mean is that the psychologist is using tests without forms that were paid for (this likely means the psychologist no longer has the right or license to the tests)...no proof here...I just find it odd to use random answer sheets. Oh, the second call with the psychologist was at 7am, even after I requested a later time due to kids getting ready for school. (Absurd...who do you think you are?)

Plan on a panel interview....or not....In my case they made be have 4-5 seperate one-hour calls.

Again, I would have turned this offer down. I am bummed I did not get that chance...since they refuse to take my call I have decided to post here.

MSC is a large company...I do not know internal culture....but they act like their manager candidates are already employees. A waste of my time...oh, and any business manager could tell you that paying for airline tickets, 14 interviews, and a psychologist is a waste of money. There are much better ways to find talented and commited employees.

Interview Questions