MSC Software Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2015

2.8

Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Software (Newport Beach, CA).

Interview

Phone interview with 2 managers, and 1 on-site interview. Phone interview with one manager was pleasant (more like a discussion), but the other manager was terrible - the manager speaks unprofessionally and in condescending manner, arguing over trivial matters, and basically wants you to agree with him. On-site interview was with a bit better, but the phone interview gave me a very bad impression of the company, which determined my final decision to reject the offer because I felt like I will never be able to work with such a terrible manager. Also, didn't think the salary offered after negotiation is that great, considering that Irvine/Newport Beach is such an expensive area to live in.

Interview Questions

• General technical questions on finite elements, which you will know if you studied finite elements.   Answer Question

Interview

It was a normal interview process. There was initial phone interview. Then there was a on-site interview. I was asked Java questions and database questions. I got a call by applying on the company portal.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MSC Software (Newport Beach, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was about 2 hours long. We discussed the specific project I would be working on, who I would be working with and under, what my responsibilities might be, and what my interests were. We then discussed skills and questions that would directly apply to the job I was hired for.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions required knowledge of how memory works.   1 Answer

Product Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MSC Software in February 2015.

Interview

Two rounds for interview. The interviewers in the first round mainly asked about questions in my resume, programming history etc. It was very casual and the interviewers even talked about the history of their code. And in the second round, some technical questions are asked, e.g. how to represent the shear deformation in the element; what's the advantage of meshless methods in simulating fragmentation etc. Phone interview only.

Senior Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Software (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Process consisted of 4 rounds technical and one HR interview. The technical rounds proceeded from average to difficult conducted by consequently with people of increasing experience. The evaluation mostly stuck to my resume, past experience and proposed work. Software and development interviews involved solving puzzles, data structure and algorithms problems.

Interview Questions

• Some questions involved 1. Split a large linked list into two. 2. Reverse a large linked list. the space and memory orders and efficiency. 3. Design patters. express one design pattern in another format etc.   Answer Question

Adasm Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Software in March 2014.

Interview

Got informed by a friend of the opening. Contacted the manager by email with resume attached. An interview problem was assigned. I was asked to complete to problem using Adams in a day and bring the results for the interview on the next day. Talked with the manager and VP for a while.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Software.

Interview

They called me after reviewing my resume. Invited me in and asked me questions about my resume and coursework. Lots of friendly people and smiling people so I think they wanted to make sure that who they hire was a good fit. There was a wide range of ages in the office space but seemed like there were many in their 40s or 50s.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since this was an internship position, they just told you what the wage would be. I don't think it would be appropriate to try to negotiate on the number.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MSC Software (Newport Beach, CA).

Interview

Initial communication occurred through email, via school networking. From there resume was submitted following a formal application. Next proceeded to an interview.

Interview Questions

• In general, describe how you would go about solving a problem, you don't know how to solve. Was very difficult due to the vagueness of the question   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone Interview.

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MSC Software (Newport Beach, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews Typical behavioral interview questions

Interview Questions

• We have contacted your peers, what do you think they stated about your strengths and weaknesses.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Low ball offer Countered the offer They accepted the offer...to quickly probably should have countered higher!