MSCI Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014
Updated Sep 28, 2014

3.2

Client Service Specialist - PMA&BarraOne Interview

Emphasize is on Barra One. PMA is not the emphasis of the position. The Barra One is a risk outsourcing service. So this is essentially a risk management role. Be prepared to answer portfolio risk management related questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about the difference between quantitative trading and other trading styles.   Answer Question

Risk Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MSCI.

One phone interview, one on site interview with four people, the interview process was very pleasant, but I'm a bit overkill for the position, so they referred me to another position.

Interview Questions
    • Not anything unexpected, asked me about what VaR is, and do I like to work with Excel.   Answer Question

IT Security Interview

2 one-to-one technical rounds with a gap of 1 week
    3 on site client calls which involved 1 technical and 2 HR rounds with a time frame of around 2 weeks.
    Over all it took 3 weeks for interview and joining

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MSCI in August 2014.

Applied online, contacted by HR after one week. First HR interview, asking about some background and experience in related field, pass that. Then the phone screen where an engineer from MSCI called and talk more about skill sets and coding ability.

Interview Questions
    • Given a table of many columns, what software or language you prefer to use to extract those info. After obtaining those info, what would you do to see if they are related to each other   Answer Question

Analytics AQ Engineer Interview

First round, phone interview with team leader. Asked about binomial tree, VaR and Ito's Rule. Second round is a take-home test. There are 3 problems and you need to finish it in 3 days. Not easy. Hand in report and MATLAB code. I'm still waiting for the result.

Interview Questions
    • Price an vanilla option using 3 methods and the data provided. Send in the answer along with coding.   Answer Question

Applications Release Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

I applied in-person – interviewed at MSCI in July 2014.

Applied through Linkedin.com, Recruiter called the next, explained the role, talked about background, current role and scheduled on-site interview. Interview lasted about 3 hours which covered technical linux knowledge , some java code and analytical/situation question about director and their environment and autosys.
    I Recruiter asking the feedback, he said all went well they have short list you. He also confirmed that their is not negative feedback but they want to conti scheduled interview and make final conculsion, It been 3 week nothing heard back so I decided to call back.
    He said you were the only who got selected in their short list but they are not ready to make offer yet.
    Well If arent planning on hiring and giving opportunities and then why conducting the interviews.
    Make no sense.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MSCI.

From recruiter got an email, then called. And called. And called.

Disjointed connecting for the interview, then at office, errant mtgs, and not always professional receiving staff or interviewers. Parking was an issue too, but those things you can adapt to, when given the right info. Just a disorganized and tense office.

Interview Questions
    very short, because they were finally in a time crunch and realized my experience.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at MSCI.

It's a long process. You'll interview with representatives from each team (usually 2 or 3 at a time) for 30-60 minutes at a time. My interview took 4-5 hours altogether.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specifics, but there were a lot of logic based questions, typically tied in with how you would implement it in code. There will also be some technical questions about your coding ability along with some implementation. It struck me as Google-esque.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MSCI.

Three rounds. Phone interview for half an hour, very technique written test, and final round for three hours phone interview.

ESG Rating Analyst Interview