MSCI Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

3.2

Investor Relations Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MSCI in February 2012.

The recruiter who had posted the job on linkedin contacted me directly so I'd say that it might not be a bad idea to include a cover letter with the recruiter's name on an application. The recruiter went over the target salary almost right away and discussed both the responsibilities of the role and explained why the role was created. The recruiter had a good handle on my resume and asked very specific questions on relating my experience to the role.

Interview Questions
    • The upfront question on salary took me aback. I was not expecting this on a first contact.   Answer Question

Risk Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MSCI.

One phone interview, one on site interview with four people, the interview process was very pleasant, but I'm a bit overkill for the position, so they referred me to another position.

Interview Questions
    • Not anything unexpected, asked me about what VaR is, and do I like to work with Excel.   Answer Question

IT Security Interview

2 one-to-one technical rounds with a gap of 1 week
    3 on site client calls which involved 1 technical and 2 HR rounds with a time frame of around 2 weeks.
    Over all it took 3 weeks for interview and joining

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at MSCI in August 2014.

Applied online, contacted by HR after one week. First HR interview, asking about some background and experience in related field, pass that. Then the phone screen where an engineer from MSCI called and talk more about skill sets and coding ability.

Interview Questions
    • Given a table of many columns, what software or language you prefer to use to extract those info. After obtaining those info, what would you do to see if they are related to each other   Answer Question

Applications Release Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norman, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

I applied in-person - interviewed at MSCI in July 2014.

Applied through Linkedin.com, Recruiter called the next, explained the role, talked about background, current role and scheduled on-site interview. Interview lasted about 3 hours which covered technical linux knowledge , some java code and analytical/situation question about director and their environment and autosys.
    I Recruiter asking the feedback, he said all went well they have short list you. He also confirmed that their is not negative feedback but they want to conti scheduled interview and make final conculsion, It been 3 week nothing heard back so I decided to call back.
    He said you were the only who got selected in their short list but they are not ready to make offer yet.
    Well If arent planning on hiring and giving opportunities and then why conducting the interviews.
    Make no sense.

Analytics AQ Engineer Interview

First round, phone interview with team leader. Asked about binomial tree, VaR and Ito's Rule. Second round is a take-home test. There are 3 problems and you need to finish it in 3 days. Not easy. Hand in report and MATLAB code. I'm still waiting for the result.

Interview Questions
    • Price an vanilla option using 3 methods and the data provided. Send in the answer along with coding.   Answer Question

Analytics Consulting and Client Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MSCI in March 2014.

Initial HR Phone Screen lasting 30 minutes in which they asked background questions. Basically looking for you to hit keywords and such. Next round was a Phone Interview with the hiring manager. He asked rather detail oriented questions regarding the job description. Analytical questions in which how you analyze data sets and or your experience working with such data. The way the interviews work is you're in contact with the HR rep assigned to you, and the interview process is facilitated through him or her. Mine called me to ask me what the next steps were. The hiring manager told me that the HR rep would let me know of the next steps. The HR Rep said he would check with the hiring manager and I have never hear back since.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions regarding holdings based risk analysis.   Answer Question

ESG Consultant/Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at MSCI in March 2014.

Originally submitted my resume online and wasn't contacted. Connected via LinkedIn with someone on the ESG team and mentioned I had applied and was subsequently contacted in a few days by a Senior Recruiter. This led to a series of phone interviews. My initial phone interview was with the hiring manager. The next conversation was with her boss out of London. The next phone conversation was with another member of the team out London. I was eventually invited into the local office to interview with someone on the ground and had an powerpoint presentation to present their IVA product to the team in Boston and London via video conference. Received an email a few days later mentioning they decided not to proceed further.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most recent book you've read? Why did you read it? Would you recommend it to me?   View Answer
    • Explain to me in detail some common themes taking place in ESG research today.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at MSCI.

From recruiter got an email, then called. And called. And called.

Disjointed connecting for the interview, then at office, errant mtgs, and not always professional receiving staff or interviewers. Parking was an issue too, but those things you can adapt to, when given the right info. Just a disorganized and tense office.

Interview Questions
    very short, because they were finally in a time crunch and realized my experience.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at MSCI.

It's a long process. You'll interview with representatives from each team (usually 2 or 3 at a time) for 30-60 minutes at a time. My interview took 4-5 hours altogether.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specifics, but there were a lot of logic based questions, typically tied in with how you would implement it in code. There will also be some technical questions about your coding ability along with some implementation. It struck me as Google-esque.   Answer Question

Worked for MSCI? Contribute to the Community!