MSCI Interview Questions in New York City, NY

2.5

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Risk Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MSCI.

One phone interview, one on site interview with four people, the interview process was very pleasant, but I'm a bit overkill for the position, so they referred me to another position.

Interview Questions
    • Not anything unexpected, asked me about what VaR is, and do I like to work with Excel.   Answer Question

Analytics Consulting and Client Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MSCI in March 2014.

Initial HR Phone Screen lasting 30 minutes in which they asked background questions. Basically looking for you to hit keywords and such. Next round was a Phone Interview with the hiring manager. He asked rather detail oriented questions regarding the job description. Analytical questions in which how you analyze data sets and or your experience working with such data. The way the interviews work is you're in contact with the HR rep assigned to you, and the interview process is facilitated through him or her. Mine called me to ask me what the next steps were. The hiring manager told me that the HR rep would let me know of the next steps. The HR Rep said he would check with the hiring manager and I have never hear back since.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions regarding holdings based risk analysis.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at MSCI in January 2011.

Week 1: I applied for position via an internal recruiter's post on eFC.
    Week 2: Received an email the next week scheduling a 1:1 phone call with the recruiter. They asked me about my background and skills, then told me more about position. Conversation was very relaxed and short. At end the recruiter said they'd forward my CV to the hiring manager.

Week 2: Received email from recruiter 3 days after phone call saying HM wanted to schedule 1:1 phone call
    Week 3: Spoke with hiring manager - asked me about my background, why I liked the position and told me about the position and the team. I asked about the team and effects of MSCI's recent acquisitions. Again, very easy. Received call from recruiter that evening saying the HM wanted me to visit onsite for panel interview, however MSCI did not offer to pay my travel expenses.

Week 4: Had 1:1's with 5 people over 3 hours, including HM. Each interviewer was very friendly. They did most of the talking - about themselves, the role, the company. Asked me about my background, skillset and some easy technical questions, ie "How do you calculate VaR, what is a CDS, how do you price a future etc"

Week 5: received offer
    Week 6: accepted offer

Interview Questions
    • Questions I received were:
      Background:
      What did you like most about your last job?
      Why did you leave?
      What was you favorite class in college?
      How do you feel about living in New York?

Behavioral:
      Why do you like this position?
      Tell me about a time you failed/made a mistake and how you dealt with it

Technical:
      How do you calculate VaR?
      How do you price a future?
      What is a CDS?
      What risk attributes are most important to consider in an equity portfolio?
      What's the difference between a Hedge Fund and a managed account?
        Answer Question

EQUITY ANALYTIC SALES SUPPORT ANALYST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MSCI in November 2010.

HR person didn't call me the day he was supposed to call. So we rescheduled. But the phone interview was very short (15 min) and I already felt like he is not interested in me. He just asked me my strength and weakness and why I am interested in this position.

Interview Questions
    • My strength and weakness and the reason I am interested in the position and the company.   Answer Question