MSCI

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analytics Consulting and Client Service Interview

Analytics Consulting and Client Service
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MSCI in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial HR Phone Screen lasting 30 minutes in which they asked background questions. Basically looking for you to hit keywords and such. Next round was a Phone Interview with the hiring manager. He asked rather detail oriented questions regarding the job description. Analytical questions in which how you analyze data sets and or your experience working with such data. The way the interviews work is you're in contact with the HR rep assigned to you, and the interview process is facilitated through him or her. Mine called me to ask me what the next steps were. The hiring manager told me that the HR rep would let me know of the next steps. The HR Rep said he would check with the hiring manager and I have never hear back since.

Interview Question – Technical questions regarding holdings based risk analysis.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at MSCI in January 2011.

Interview Details – Week 1: I applied for position via an internal recruiter's post on eFC.
Week 2: Received an email the next week scheduling a 1:1 phone call with the recruiter. They asked me about my background and skills, then told me more about position. Conversation was very relaxed and short. At end the recruiter said they'd forward my CV to the hiring manager.

Week 2: Received email from recruiter 3 days after phone call saying HM wanted to schedule 1:1 phone call
Week 3: Spoke with hiring manager - asked me about my background, why I liked the position and told me about the position and the team. I asked about the team and effects of MSCI's recent acquisitions. Again, very easy. Received call from recruiter that evening saying the HM wanted me to visit onsite for panel interview, however MSCI did not offer to pay my travel expenses.

Week 4: Had 1:1's with 5 people over 3 hours, including HM. Each interviewer was very friendly. They did most of the talking - about themselves, the role, the company. Asked me about my background, skillset and some easy technical questions, ie "How do you calculate VaR, what is a CDS, how do you price a future etc"

Week 5: received offer
Week 6: accepted offer

Interview Question – Questions I received were:
Background:
What did you like most about your last job?
Why did you leave?
What was you favorite class in college?
How do you feel about living in New York?

Behavioral:
Why do you like this position?
Tell me about a time you failed/made a mistake and how you dealt with it

Technical:
How do you calculate VaR?
How do you price a future?
What is a CDS?
What risk attributes are most important to consider in an equity portfolio?
What's the difference between a Hedge Fund and a managed account?
  Answer Question

EQUITY ANALYTIC SALES SUPPORT ANALYST Interview

EQUITY ANALYTIC SALES SUPPORT ANALYST
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at MSCI in November 2010.

Interview Details – HR person didn't call me the day he was supposed to call. So we rescheduled. But the phone interview was very short (15 min) and I already felt like he is not interested in me. He just asked me my strength and weakness and why I am interested in this position.

Interview Question – My strength and weakness and the reason I am interested in the position and the company.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for MSCI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MSCI interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by MSCI employees and interview candidates.