MSCI

3.1

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

ESG Consultant/Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at MSCI in March 2014.

Originally submitted my resume online and wasn't contacted. Connected via LinkedIn with someone on the ESG team and mentioned I had applied and was subsequently contacted in a few days by a Senior Recruiter. This led to a series of phone interviews. My initial phone interview was with the hiring manager. The next conversation was with her boss out of London. The next phone conversation was with another member of the team out London. I was eventually invited into the local office to interview with someone on the ground and had an powerpoint presentation to present their IVA product to the team in Boston and London via video conference. Received an email a few days later mentioning they decided not to proceed further.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most recent book you've read? Why did you read it? Would you recommend it to me?   View Answer
    • Explain to me in detail some common themes taking place in ESG research today.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at MSCI in May 2013.

I was contacted by a Recruiter for a Senior Engineering Position at MSCI. The phone interview went well, i was questioned on threading, difference between using synchronized keyword an d Reentrant locks in java.

Once the phone interview was done, i was called for an on-site interview at MSCI Berkeley office (this office was an acquisition from BARRA systems). Five engineers interview me, apart from asking questions about my previous projects they asked mostly Java related questions.

1) What search algorithm runs in log (n) time.
    Ans) Binary Search.

2) What is a race condition and how would you avoid it.
    3) Is one painter paints a room in one hour and the other painter in 30 mins. How long woud it take for both the painters to paint the room.
    4) What is ThreadLocal ?
    5) What Final and abstract class in java ?

And some basic java programming questions.

I did well on the interview except one where i knew the answer but i completely blanked out. So, my suggestion will be to keep your confidence level high. A few interviewees were not very responsive and it seemed they are just robots asking you questions.

I didn't hear anything for about three weeks. I contacted the recruiter to check the status, again after a week she told me that they are looking for someone with more years of experience. I than got an email again after a week that they want to re-consider me and would like to talk on the phone one more time with Head of Application Development.

The phone interview again went fine, and they told me that my resume is impressive and that that are looking for someone energetic. I was asked again about my previous job experience, and a question related to Garbage Collector wen doing performance testing in my previous job. A week from that i got an email from recruiter that they again are looking for someone with more experience.

Not really a good experience overall, communications is slow. It take them forever to decide, and they go back and forth on their decisions.

Interview Questions
    • what does log (n) running time translates into.   View Answer

Applications Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at MSCI in April 2013.

Applied through UC Berkeley's job board and received a call and an email from an HR representative asking to schedule an interview a week later. There was no phone interview, just speaking directly with the manager who I'd be working with if I got the job. Interview as pretty standard: behavioral questions, why this position, requested some writing samples and presentations to bring in.

Analytics QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

interviewed at MSCI in November 2012.

1. Talking with HR
    2. Talking with Senior QA with technical questions
    3. A open project about option pricing
    3. Conference meeting over phone, read paper about future pricing and present
    5. On site with 6 ppl

Interview Questions
    • What type of bond price increase as interest rate increases   View Answer

Four Interviews and Then Crickets Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MSCI in February 2011.

Got an interview thru a referral. Took time off work and went on four, yes four, in person interviews. I never heard a word back. I followed up. Nothing. I thought it was just me, but a friend had the exact same experience.

Why does HR think it's OK to do this to people? I suppose I should be thankful, though, considering they are outsourcing most of their jobs to India and their stock price is down by about 30% because they just lost a major client.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at MSCI in February 2010.

Disjointed with a lot of waiting between calls. Then group interviews and couldn't find places. No real help because no visible office managers. HR not really existent except for one person who was grouchy and encased in office, surfing net. Really disorganized office. And a long time for any follow up after the meetings.

Interview Questions
    • Trends and data switch on sales - what do yu see in NOrth American and EMEA markets?   Answer Question

Fixed Income Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MSCI in June 2008.

Two phone interviews. Half day on site interview with 8 half hour interviews with various analysts, senior associates and VPs. Got called back for a second day where I interviewed with the teams I would eventually collaborate with (It, software engineering, data developers, and research). This was followed by a half day of shadowing analyst that would eventually make up my team,. Overall a good experience. The Barra team seamed genuinely interested in making sure I'd be happy with the work, and were very collegial through the whole process.