MSDSonline Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MSDSonline in September 2014.

I had a phone interview for a Sales Executive position. They contacted me via e-mail only a couple of hours after I applied for the job, which was surprising because it was a Saturday. They even contacted me again on Sunday to ask my availability. The phone interview itself wasn't very difficult. The questions seemed pretty basic-What I do in my current position, why I wanted to leave it, what challenges have I faced as a Sales person and how did I overcome them, where I see my career going. The interviewer was very professional and knowledgeable about the company. She asked me about my previous job--what skills I used and what the challenges were, and why I left it. She also asked how I deal with rejection while working in Sales, because you get rejected a lot. I asked her a few questions about the company, like what percentage of Sales Executives meet their quota. Her answers were really thorough. My impression of the company from the interview was positive, she mentioned that they have trips for the Sales people that meet their quota. The company's product also seems pretty interesting and it seems like there's a good market for it right now.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was the question of where I see my career being in 5 years. I have some teaching experience on my resume, even though I'm not a certified teacher, and I think she suspected that I ultimately plan on going into teaching. I don't want a career in sales, I'm just working in it for now to pay the bills, so I fumbled this question a little.   Answer Question

Authoring Specialist Interview

Had a phone interview, that went well and then went in for round two where three people interviewed me . The questions were fairly simple- why do you want the position, who are you, etc

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MSDSonline.

Phone interview and then in person interview. Was easy and laid back. A little intimidating with more than one person interviewing you but it is to be expected.

Interview Questions
    • My interview was easy. I think they just want to make sure you know what inside sales is. It is not marketing.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Sales Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MSDSonline.

Met with a recruiter at a university career fair and was invited to an interview the following day. The final interview was at their office in Chicago, and consisted of a brief introduction and a light breakfast. We then interviewed with three different interviewing teams, and shadowed two employees, followed by a lunch and Q&A session. Received the offer within a week of the final interview. $10/hr, and interns are not allowed to work over 40hrs/wk. $1,000 incentive bonus throughout internship if goals are met.

Interview Questions
    • Very little formal questioning process. Everyone has a copy of your resume, and asks questions based on that.   Answer Question
    None

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MSDSonline.

Applied online then about a week later emailed concerning a phone interview. Interview occurred a couple days later. Took only about 20 minutes, emailed about a week after the phone interview with no offer.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MSDSonline in November 2013.

I emailed exactly per directions from the ad online, received an email response the following morning. We set up a day and time for a phone interview, which went well and I was scheduled to have an in-person interview at their office. Similar to other reviewers on here my interview consisted of five persons, first one, then two different teams of two persons.

Please note that their interview methods and questions are meant to be very challenging to push you into an uncomfortable situation to gauge your response/reaction. I had never been through an interview like this before and although I totally bombed it and got rattled, it was a very good experience as it exposed personal weaknesses that I was unaware of. So I have regrouped, addressed those weaknesses and will be ready for the next challenging interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to choose between customers calling you or you calling the customer, which would you choose?   View Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Didn't get a great vibe from this company... They waste a lot of your time. Had 3 interviews with 2 men each then shadowed a girl for a little over a half hour. The girl I shadowed went to the same college as me and was not the brightest crayon in the box. Everyone in the office took casual dress to a new level. Not the place for me, and they knew it!

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MSDSonline.

Phone interview with HR, was referred by a close friend. Went in for in person interview. Sat in a room for a few hours, had a panel interview of teams of 2 and probably spoke with 8+ people. They were all sales managers and one was the sales director.

Seemed to go well with the managers and they liked my experience and what I could bring to the team. The Director barely lifted his head up to look at me, just stared at my resume and asked slow unenthusiastic questions. Said that I've worked for too many companies (3) and that could pose as a red flag. I explained that I felt it was an asset to my level of experience and business acumen. Obviously he didn't agree or listen to his sales managers. I was turned down.

I was probably over qualified and I was unemployed at the time.

Interview Questions
    • We typically hire people right out of college, what would hiring someone with more experience bring to the team?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at MSDSonline in April 2012.

-First step is a phone interview with the HR recruiter
    -Provided that the first call goes well, you will be invited to the office for an on=site interview
    -You will interview with one of the Sales Directors and three of the sales managers, two at a time
    -After the two interviews you will sit with a Sales Rep and shadow them for roughly a half hour. During this time the Sales Rep will conduct an informal interview with you and show you what some of the daily responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • -There were really no unexpected questions
      -If you come in without any prior sales experience and no sales background in college they will drill you
        Answer Question
    They made an offer and I asked for a higher salary. They bumped the salary up a few thousand dollars to get closer to the number that I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MSDSonline in November 2011.

1. On campus interview. Very basic in structure and questions, especially for entry level
    2. Called in for on-site interview in Chicago office. Round robin style interviews with 3-4 groups of managers. All different styles, but similar style questions that revolve around succeeding in sales.
    3. 1-2 weeks after a call/ email is sent with offer letter

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest regret was the most unexpected question   View Answer
    • What is your greatest accomplishment   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate at first, but still received moving/ signing bonus.