MTA Metro North Railroad Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2015

2.6

Corporate Development Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad.

Interview

Interviewed at their New York office, received an offer a few weeks later by phone. Following the offer was a background check, drug test, and physical checkup (physical and drug test done at their cost in midtown).

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad.

Interview

No screen interview, the first interview was with hiring manager. Asked specific job knowledge questions combined with other behavioral questions. Enjoyed and appreciated the rigor in the interview, but I dropped out of process after accepting an offer from another employer.

Interview Questions

• How is adverse impact analysis conducted? Describe an appropriate method of setting a cut score for an exam.   Answer Question

Rail Car Electrician Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

originally responded to a job posting on the MTA website for the rail car electrician position with a resume and was asked to sit for a exam which was 4 parts totaling 90 questions in 3 hours. upon passing that I allowed them to run a security background check on me which I passed and then sat for a face to face interview with 5 interviewees who asked me electrical, health&safety and personal questions.

Interview Questions

• have you experienced a colleague receiving an electrical shock on the job and what did you do and what would you do different again.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY).

Interview

Attended their internship fair in December and had the opportunity to talked to several of their recruiters from HR. Their engineering internship opportunities seemed great and I applied as soon as I received an email from one of the recruiters. Interviewed shortly after at their Madison Avenue headquarters. It was a panel interview with the recruiter from HR and two of their engineers/project managers. The interview was pretty relaxed with standard questions for an engineering internship. I was offered the position a few days later. I was very impressed with all my interactions with the Metro North staff

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult just make sure you have relevant work experience that you can talk about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

After you accept the offer there is a pretty extensive background check and medical/toxicology exam.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I went to intern recruitment fair in January , recruiter emailed to apply in February. Applied online, set up interview. Phone interview because I was far away (3 on the phone). Behavioral and resume questions - about 20 minutes. Called about an hour later to say I got the job. The entire interview was vey relaxed. The recruiter led the conversation.

Ticket Seller/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Once You apply, if selected will go take a test with 5 sections its 5 minutes each section (nothing too hard). If passed, will let know by email and following a pre-employment background check. In about 4 mnths Hr calls you for an interview. Interview is about 3 managers and 1 HR representative. They have a list of questions to ask and they go around 1 by 1 asking the questions on the list. Once interview is done, if selected, HR will contact you to give you the offer in about a week and to schedule you for a drug screening test and medical tests (vision, Cardio, lungs, hearing, lifting). Once cleared, the docs will contact HR and you will get a starting date. I applied in june '13 and started in March '14.

Interview Questions

• What would you tell a customer if there is problems on the trains and they are not running?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager, Destination Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY).

Interview

HR and hiring manager were professional and pleasant. After completing the online application, I was called for a brief phone interview. Upon completion of that, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. The in-person interview ended up being a panel interview involving the hiring manager and two HR managers. Most questions were "canned" or "textbook" questions with some being up to four-part questions.

Interview Questions

• The long-winded four-part questions can be a challenge when remembering each part to answer.   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad.

Interview

I applied for the position in October. I was called in February asking my availability for and interview and then heard nothing from them until April. Slowest and most incompetent HR Department I have ever come across.

Electrical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

On the day of the interview I sat down with two elderly men who were also engineers, but not in the electrical field. After some general talk (tell us about yourself etc...), they began to talk about the position I was interviewing for. The only problem was they really had no ideal what I would be doing since they weren't electrical engineers. They just told me what they do, around the office and what they think I would do. They weren't very organized at all, in fact I wouldn't have been surprised if some one told them to interview me within a few minutes to my arrive. At this point I was very disappointed, I was expecting to prove my knowledge and answer questions but they didn't seem to care. They keep asking questions about my school and much tuition was since they graduated from my school. This was one of the worst interviews I went on, not because it was hard but because I spent time preparing for it and I got absolutely nothing in return. I just wish I could have interviewed with someone a little bit more prepared and enthusiastic about talking to me and not just about how it was when they were in school. When I left I know I won't get a call back but I didn't care after that interview I didn't want to work for them anyway.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MTA Metro North Railroad (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

It was a phone interview, she asked me about my past work experience and how to handle emergency situation during every job I had.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle the emergency situations during every job you had?   Answer Question