MTD Products Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015

Anonymous Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MTD Products.

Interview

Very unorganized. Did two separate phone interviews with two separate HR managers as the first was leaving. The position I initially applied for was offered to someone the day of my initial phone interview. Odd but why not at least tell me then? My time is valuable too. The second HR Mgr. then has me come in to interview for a management position in which anyone can on paper say I'm not qualified for. While constantly having to do all follow up during the entire process and well past their stated follow up date, I finally received confirmation the company feels they need more experience. Of course they do. I feel like they brought me in as a last resort, not a true candidate. It all worked out though as it's better off on both sides. I'm sure part of it was bad timing with their transition.

Material Handler Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at MTD Products.

Interview

Interviewed by coworkers, most know who they want, a lot of times they post for college grads but hire with no degree

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley City, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MTD Products (Valley City, OH) in November 2013.

Interview

Asked basic questions that would normally be asked in an interview. Also toured the plant and got to see the ins and outs of the company. Overall good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• What is the coolest thing you've ever built   1 Answer

Systems Administrator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valley City, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MTD Products (Valley City, OH) in February 2012.

Interview

It's long. Learn the company history. Watch your resume. You will be asked detailed questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about he company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No real negotiation

Controls/Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MTD Products (Tempe, AZ) in November 2009.

Interview

I applied for the position about a month before I recieved a phone interview from the HR Manager. The pohne interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted of a couple behavioral questions, skills questions, salary and personality questions to see if I was a potential fit for the position. A couple of days later I recieved an invite for an on-site interview which I accepted. The onsite interview consisted of two 1:1 Interviews; one with the HR Manager which was basically a reiterration of the phone interview and then an interview with the Hiring Manager. The on-site interview lasted about two hours. When the interview concluded I asked when they would be making their decision and made my way out. About three weeks later I was informed that I did not make it to the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel has been your biggest professional failure?   Answer Question
    • What have you done to resolve confrontational issues that have arisen in your work place?   Answer Question

Product Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brunswick, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at MTD Products (Brunswick, OH) in January 2009.

Interview

To become a product tester you must A) start out as a temporary employee at one of the main temp agencies in the area (Reserves Network in Brunswick) or B) be related to someone important at MTD. MTD is a very family oriented company and knowing people definitely makes a huge difference. If you have a relative, especially a close one on your resume or application it puts you ahead if you have the basic qualifications. After working as a temporary/seasonal employee during the summer for approximately 2 years you will probably be hired in if you are reliable and hard working and a spot opens up. It can be earlier if someone quits, usually during the winter months when people decide they don't want to put up with the cold. Put in your application at the MTD website (a resume isn't really necessary, just fill out the fields on the site), and when a position opens up the testing department manager will call you into his cubicle to ask you questions like "What will you do if you see someone doing something they shouldn't be doing?". The correct response is to bring it up the chain of command (the answer I gave which he liked). You really only have one interview with the testing manager and then you are interviewed by the HR person, who asks some basic questions.

Interview Questions

• "How do you feel about working in extreme weather conditions all year round?" +
      "Are you willing to work extra hours, including 12 hour days to meet a production rush?"

1 Answer

Negotiation

They don't negotiate for product tester unless you are a shift supervisor or are interviewing for product tester and shift supervisor. Its going to be the same starting wage unless you are being hired from another part of the company (internal hire), have left on good terms and came back again or some special circumstance. You will know how much you will be paid before they make their hiring decision.

Project Engineer Interview

Interview

There are typically 2 interviews (behavioral) and a personality test.

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at MTD Products in August 2010.

Interview

Good questions. Phone interview then a 1:1. The headquarter campus was great with testing areas on site for the manufactured equipment. They even had a machine shop and could make the prototypes out of wood and resin.
    There are many family members that work for the company- regardless of qualifications and skills. This is a religious company that prays before meetings.

Interview Questions

• Name your greatest engineering accomplishment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There are pay grades. But they are different for family members

Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MTD Products in January 2010.

Interview

First interview was over the phone, 1:1 with the IT manager. Interview focused to past experience and behavioral questions.

Second interview: HR, again Behavioral

On site interview: With a team of about 6 Business Analysts and one Project Manager. Questions varied from past experience to behavioral.

Examples:
    a. What is difference between PM and BA roles?
    b. Tell me a time when you had to resolve a conflict?
    c. Questions specific to Agile development.

Interview Questions

• What conflicts did you resolve during business gathering process?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MTD Products in January 2009.

Interview

First did a phone interview then a panel interview. Went very well everyone was very pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral. Give me an example of a project that you led?   Answer Question