MTS Systems Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2014
Updated Apr 28, 2014

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MTS Systems in October 2012.

Interviews are free-form depending on the hiring manager. Do your homework ahead of time (know a little about the company, major markets, different company businesses, what countries have offices, etc.) and it's easy to shine. Company has strong engineering history, so if you can articulate well on technical issues and show a little business savvy it will go a long way.

Interview Questions
    • Give me your 30 second elevator speech on why you are the ideal candidate for this job.   View Answer
    Not much negotiation possible.

Project Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at MTS Systems.

Met company reps at a university career fair and discussed design work, work experience, etc with two people. The first rep was a weeder and the second was a bit more thorough, the second rep invited me in for a one on one interview. The interview was consisted of mainly designing a simple test rig. Had to define the forces/moments that were to be considered and design a way to recreate the environment in the lab for testing. The interview ended with the interviewer writing down his personal phone/email and explaining that there were no positions open for two weeks (due to an HR error) and I would have to complete their online application at that time. Due to this error I did not pursue this company.

Interview Questions
    • What frequency range would you estimate a major bending mode of the test rig to be and how would you deal with it.   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MTS Systems in May 2012.

Phone interview for about 45 mins. Second Phone interview for about 20 mins. Interview process was about 4-5 hours. Interview with all the department heads I would have been working with. Finial interview was with IT Manager. Took about 1 weeks after interview and recieved a phone call they were still making a decision and would take another week or two and that I was in the final selection, and got a phone call 2 weeks later letting me know I was not selected but very professional.

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at MTS Systems in February 2012.

As a college student, I have explored internship opportunities by using personal connections and networking. I got in touch with an alumnus of my college who had worked on the same student engineering project as myself. I requested a tour of the company, and he obliged. During this tour, I asked questions (which was not difficult since there is so much happening on the production floor) and in return he asked questions of me (the usual 'get to know you' sort of stuff as well as career goals and aspirations) At the end of this tour, I gave him my resume and left. A few months later, the hiring manager in his department asked me for a phone interview and I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • While touring the production floor, we stopped at piece of vehicle test equipment and he asked me to explain its function and what various components did. After walking around the equipment, I was able to answer. (It was several interconnected linkages that moved the wheel of a suspended car)   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at MTS Systems in November 2011.

Applied on-line after being referred. There was an initial phone interview followed by an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of giving a technical presentation on 1-2 projects that you have worked on, followed by an in-depth tour, then 4-5 one-on-one interviews. During the first one-on-one portion you must complete a brief quiz focused on basic physics. The second one-on-one portion you are asked to sketch out a conceptual design for some type of testing rig. During rest of the one-on-one interviews you are asked standard interview questions.

I considered this to be one of the most intensive interviews I have been through. It is very thorough interview process that really shows who the interviewee is. I'm surprised there are not more companies doing this.

Interview Questions
    • Sketch out a conceptual drawing of how you would design a test machine to test _____.   View Answer

Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at MTS Systems in May 2009.

They asked some questions about what recent mechanical device I have thought about and asked me to describe it. I think it was a helpful way to determine both the conceptual ability and verbalization ability of a person. They followed by asking various aspects of my educational experience and experiene outside of education.

No negotiation

Worked for MTS Systems? Contribute to the Community!