MTS Systems Interview Questions

Updated Jan 12, 2015

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at MTS Systems.

Interview

Use internal contractors to contact and do initial screening of candidates. Then it moves directly to the hiring manager to will typically do a phone screen. Once your past the phone screen will be brought internal for interviews with Engineering, Marketing, Sales and management executive. They will each focus on a specific skills, knowledge or behaviors.

They typically like to bring in about 3-5 candidates for a role before a decision is made on any of the people. Some roles will fill in about 1-2 months from start to finish while others have stretched out to more like 3 months before a final hiring decision is made.

Interview Questions

• With what you know about our company, could you please walk me through how you would do a SWOT assessment of MTS.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Will not negotiate Paid Time Off. Even if you are a seasoned professional you start with the same amount as a new never been hired college grad.

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at MTS Systems.

Interview

Met company reps at a university career fair and discussed design work, work experience, etc with two people. The first rep was a weeder and the second was a bit more thorough, the second rep invited me in for a one on one interview. The interview was consisted of mainly designing a simple test rig. Had to define the forces/moments that were to be considered and design a way to recreate the environment in the lab for testing. The interview ended with the interviewer writing down his personal phone/email and explaining that there were no positions open for two weeks (due to an HR error) and I would have to complete their online application at that time. Due to this error I did not pursue this company.

Interview Questions

• What frequency range would you estimate a major bending mode of the test rig to be and how would you deal with it.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MTS Systems (Eden Prairie, MN) in October 2012.

Interview

Interviews are free-form depending on the hiring manager. Do your homework ahead of time (know a little about the company, major markets, different company businesses, what countries have offices, etc.) and it's easy to shine. Company has strong engineering history, so if you can articulate well on technical issues and show a little business savvy it will go a long way.

Interview Questions

• Give me your 30 second elevator speech on why you are the ideal candidate for this job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much negotiation possible.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MTS Systems (Eden Prairie, MN) in May 2012.

Interview

Phone interview for about 45 mins. Second Phone interview for about 20 mins. Interview process was about 4-5 hours. Interview with all the department heads I would have been working with. Finial interview was with IT Manager. Took about 1 weeks after interview and recieved a phone call they were still making a decision and would take another week or two and that I was in the final selection, and got a phone call 2 weeks later letting me know I was not selected but very professional.

Interview Questions

• Why are manholes covers round?   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at MTS Systems (Eden Prairie, MN) in February 2012.

Interview

As a college student, I have explored internship opportunities by using personal connections and networking. I got in touch with an alumnus of my college who had worked on the same student engineering project as myself. I requested a tour of the company, and he obliged. During this tour, I asked questions (which was not difficult since there is so much happening on the production floor) and in return he asked questions of me (the usual 'get to know you' sort of stuff as well as career goals and aspirations) At the end of this tour, I gave him my resume and left. A few months later, the hiring manager in his department asked me for a phone interview and I got the job.

Interview Questions

• While touring the production floor, we stopped at piece of vehicle test equipment and he asked me to explain its function and what various components did. After walking around the equipment, I was able to answer. (It was several interconnected linkages that moved the wheel of a suspended car)   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MTS Systems in November 2011.

Interview

Applied on-line after being referred. There was an initial phone interview followed by an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of giving a technical presentation on 1-2 projects that you have worked on, followed by an in-depth tour, then 4-5 one-on-one interviews. During the first one-on-one portion you must complete a brief quiz focused on basic physics. The second one-on-one portion you are asked to sketch out a conceptual design for some type of testing rig. During rest of the one-on-one interviews you are asked standard interview questions.

I considered this to be one of the most intensive interviews I have been through. It is very thorough interview process that really shows who the interviewee is. I'm surprised there are not more companies doing this.

Interview Questions

• Sketch out a conceptual drawing of how you would design a test machine to test _____.   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MTS Systems in May 2009.

Interview

They asked some questions about what recent mechanical device I have thought about and asked me to describe it. I think it was a helpful way to determine both the conceptual ability and verbalization ability of a person. They followed by asking various aspects of my educational experience and experiene outside of education.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation