MTV Networks

Getting the Interview

82 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Series Development Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Interview Details – Applied through the general Viacom Development Internship. Was put in contact with the HR department, who gave me a contact at MTV. Interviewed once over the phone with the contact, then had a second follow up interview with my prospective supervisor. Very relaxed, easy going, and very friendly.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you developed something into a story/short film etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating.

Productions Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Interview Details – I applied for this job in January of 2012 through their Viacom careers website. I heard back about a phone interview about a month later. I got a call from HR who asked me basic resume questions, my classes in undergrad, what I would be interested in at MTV etc. They then told me I would be connected with the MTV productions department because I seemed like a good fit there. Another month later I heard from MTV and I spoke to about 3 people. One was the director of operations, one was one of the executive assistants and one was a production associate. It was a really easy interview, they asked me pretty basic questions about myself and it seemed like they already wanted to hire me and they were just getting specifics. After this interview I didn't hear back from them until like the middle of April saying I got the internship.

Interview Question – What's your favorite TV show on MTV, they just want to make sure you actually watch the network and are up to date on the latest trends   Answer Question

Executive Producer Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Interview Details – There was two rounda - a phone and two in person interviews-- First with the a VP, then the producer directly under her. Both women were sweet. We hit it off, but when it came time to hearing back they never even sent out a "Thanks but we've filled the position e-mail."

Interview Question – Which do you prefer more - editorial writing or production?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Marketing Coordinator
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at MTV Networks.

Interview Details – Initial interview was unorganized and they were behind so it began late.

Interview Question – Questions about their own marketing activity, so be educated in their efforts.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at MTV Networks in March 2010.

Interview Details – The process was pretty straightforward. I sent in my resume online and then I heard from their HR person. She seemed really busy and the communication with her was a little spotty. It sounded like she provided a bunch of resumes to the person that was hiring and mine happened to be on the top of the pile and I got called first. We hit it off and she said she was going to interview a few more people but I don't know if she did. I got the offer a couple days later.

Interview Question – She asked about my specific experience with statistical analysis and I had to recall exactly what kind of such analysis I'd done in the past. I wasn't prepared for that particular question but I think I answered it OK.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given an offer and I needed the job plus it didn't sound like there was much room for negotiation so I just accepted it. It was basically an entry level job so the number is probably more or less fixed or on a tight range.

PR Intern Interview

Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at MTV Networks in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was invited to the office to interview for the position. Two interviewees looked at my resume and portfolio. It was a quick interview.

Interview Question – Tell us about why you like to watch certain MTV shows?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few weeks later College Relations contacted me and set me up with my supervisor. I did one phone interview and he "hired" me on the spot. A few more e-mails to the College Relations team and I had officially sealed the deal.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for {specific team}?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Interns don't negotiate.

Director Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Interview Details – I had one set of interviews. I spoke with some good people, at more junior and more senior levels. Most everybody knew what they were doing and were competent in their jobs. The environment seemed good, as there was plenty of working space, not too crowded, but room to grow.

The interviews were not overly technical (mixed technical/mgmt position), but there were strategic questions and lots of scenario questions. Overall I came out of it with a good impression of the company and excited about the opportunities for growth of our group (which proved much more difficult when viewed internally than from the outside).

Interview Question – How would you change the product to monetize better? (the product hadn't been released yet)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate for a better compensation, but not to a large degree. I reviewed the contract (or my lawyer did) and it was very standard, no funny business. I had better offers, but the opportunities and work environment seemed better, so after they offered a better salary (which I said was my minimum), I accepted then.

Publicist Interview

Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at MTV Networks in November 2013.

Interview Details – HR contacted me by phone. The phone interview was brief and was meant only to setup an in person interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager wasn't unfriendly (per se) but she & her subordinate both seemed pretentious. I got the impression that their mind was already made up before I even walked into the room.

Interview Question – How do you think working in TV differs from working in other areas of entertainment?   Answer Question

Development Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at MTV Networks in August 2013.

Interview Details – Met a recruiter at job fair, gave her my resume, received an invitation to interview two days later via email. Interviewed the next week with two people and heard back the following day.

Interview Question – What are your sources for learning about trends in popular culture (blogs, websites, etc.)?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, just discussion of availability.

Interviews for Top Jobs at MTV Networks

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MTV Networks interview questions and advice. All 82 interview reviews posted anonymously by MTV Networks employees and interview candidates.