MTV Networks Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014

2.5

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at MTV Networks in May 2013.

The hiring process at MTV/Viacom can be long and arduous. I was offered a position in May and didn't hear back for six months. I interviewed in the meantime but didn't receive any other offers so I ended up taking the offer from MTV after they finally got approval for the position.

Interview Questions
    This company is notorious for low-balling it's employees. Do your research and ask for what you are worth.

Coordinator Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at MTV Networks in August 2014.

Call me old fashioned, but I believe that if you take time off from work to interview with a company, you deserve a response. Needless to say, MTV has different thoughts on the matter. After my interview, I followed up twice with no success. I think I speak for everyone when I say all it takes is one sentence: "Thank you for your time but, unfortunately, we decided to go with another candidate." That's it. This was my second unprofessional experience with MTV in the past 3 years.

Anyway, the process moved relatively quickly. Applied on a Monday, heard back on a Tuesday and interviewed (in person) on a Thursday. The interview was easy.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were related to my job experience.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Saw the position online and applied through MTV's careers website. After a few weeks, I was contacted for an interview. Seemed to go well, but I never heard from anyone even after following up. They seem to post new openings for similar positions often.

Interview Questions
    • Always difficult answering why you want to leave your current job. Seems like it shouldn't matter why as often it's because of something that should be kept private.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at MTV Networks in January 2014.

Helpful, interested and genuinely attempting to put me in a position where I would excel. However, an employee within the company had to get my resume to HR - they did not make an independent decision that I was right for the job - rather the executives did once they interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated for my salary and start date

Producer Interview

Meeting with executive producers run the gamut. Some are only concerned about your previous experience, others just want to know that you have "been through the wringer." Usually these shows or series are greenlit and production begins right away, so you have to be ready to accept an offer within 24 hours.

Product Manager Interview

I had an initial interview with HR and and the hiring manager. Then was called in a week later for a second interview with a few team members. That process was quick and they said they wanted to hire me. It took almost a month though to get the final offer.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straight forward questions, no surprises. But be sure to dress formally! The attire in the office may be casual, but they expect formal interview attire.   Answer Question

Production Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at MTV Networks in April 2010.

This was a fairly simple process. I was contacted by an agency and all interviews were set-up over a two-day period. I spoke with 6 or 7 people, went over my experience (5 years at another media company), walked through the studios and editing areas and was offered the position after my last interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would I bring excellence to MTV that was not there already?   View Answer
    Again, simple. I gave a figure and it was accepted - please not this was expected. I would not have left for anything less and this was more than the usual amount for my initial position.

Series Development Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Applied through the general Viacom Development Internship. Was put in contact with the HR department, who gave me a contact at MTV. Interviewed once over the phone with the contact, then had a second follow up interview with my prospective supervisor. Very relaxed, easy going, and very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you developed something into a story/short film etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiating.

Productions Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at MTV Networks.

I applied for this job in January of 2012 through their Viacom careers website. I heard back about a phone interview about a month later. I got a call from HR who asked me basic resume questions, my classes in undergrad, what I would be interested in at MTV etc. They then told me I would be connected with the MTV productions department because I seemed like a good fit there. Another month later I heard from MTV and I spoke to about 3 people. One was the director of operations, one was one of the executive assistants and one was a production associate. It was a really easy interview, they asked me pretty basic questions about myself and it seemed like they already wanted to hire me and they were just getting specifics. After this interview I didn't hear back from them until like the middle of April saying I got the internship.

Interview Questions
    • What's your favorite TV show on MTV, they just want to make sure you actually watch the network and are up to date on the latest trends   Answer Question

Executive Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

There was two rounda - a phone and two in person interviews-- First with the a VP, then the producer directly under her. Both women were sweet. We hit it off, but when it came time to hearing back they never even sent out a "Thanks but we've filled the position e-mail."

Interview Questions
    • Which do you prefer more - editorial writing or production?   Answer Question

Worked for MTV Networks? Contribute to the Community!