MTV Networks

2.5

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MTV Networks.

I had one set of interviews. I spoke with some good people, at more junior and more senior levels. Most everybody knew what they were doing and were competent in their jobs. The environment seemed good, as there was plenty of working space, not too crowded, but room to grow.

The interviews were not overly technical (mixed technical/mgmt position), but there were strategic questions and lots of scenario questions. Overall I came out of it with a good impression of the company and excited about the opportunities for growth of our group (which proved much more difficult when viewed internally than from the outside).

Interview Questions
    • How would you change the product to monetize better? (the product hadn't been released yet)   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate for a better compensation, but not to a large degree. I reviewed the contract (or my lawyer did) and it was very standard, no funny business. I had better offers, but the opportunities and work environment seemed better, so after they offered a better salary (which I said was my minimum), I accepted then.

Publicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MTV Networks in November 2013.

HR contacted me by phone. The phone interview was brief and was meant only to setup an in person interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager wasn't unfriendly (per se) but she & her subordinate both seemed pretentious. I got the impression that their mind was already made up before I even walked into the room.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think working in TV differs from working in other areas of entertainment?   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Interview was very easy going, I knew I had it in the bag because of my prior experience and they gave me a chance.

Interview Questions
    • Not any difficult questions. I knew to speak of experience so I wasn't uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MTV Networks.

Was initially contacted via recruiter, then followed up via phone and email with the hiring managers. Brought in for first interview, standard initial interview for a large company. Second interview was with the department manager, was pretty open and friendly, in the MTV offices. Was offered this role, whole process was approx. 3 weeks although, ended up taking a different position.

Interview Questions
    • No major difficult or unexpected questions however, it does help to be well versed in MTV's shows and content.   Answer Question

I was offered more money in a similar position at another company.

PR Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MTV Networks in August 2013.

I was invited to the office to interview for the position. Two interviewees looked at my resume and portfolio. It was a quick interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about why you like to watch certain MTV shows?   Answer Question

Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at MTV Networks in August 2013.

Met a recruiter at job fair, gave her my resume, received an invitation to interview two days later via email. Interviewed the next week with two people and heard back the following day.

Interview Questions
    • What are your sources for learning about trends in popular culture (blogs, websites, etc.)?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, just discussion of availability.

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MTV Networks in August 2013.

There was supposed to be an interview with 3 people, but 2 didn't make it, so there was just one woman interviewing me. Very friendly and nice. Questions were behavioral, standard list of questions, no surprises. She asked me if I can start tomorrow... I was still employed back then, and said that I need at least a week to make a notice. She said they will make a decision that same day.

Interview Questions
    • What can you contribute to MTV Networks?
      What was the most recent thing that made you proud at work?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MTV Networks.

I was in communication with HR for a few weeks after submitting an application. They finally helped me decide on a department that would suit my interests. I had a few phone calls with my to-be supervisor, and then an in-person interview. A few hours after leaving the interview, I was called with an offer.

Interview Questions
    It was an unpaid internship so I didn't get to negotiate a salary, but I was given some wiggle room on starting and ending hours. I was only given a few days to accept or decline, though.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MTV Networks in May 2013.

The hiring process at MTV/Viacom can be long and arduous. I was offered a position in May and didn't hear back for six months. I interviewed in the meantime but didn't receive any other offers so I ended up taking the offer from MTV after they finally got approval for the position.

Interview Questions
    This company is notorious for low-balling it's employees. Do your research and ask for what you are worth.

VH1 Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MTV Networks.

Sent in my resume and application on the Viacom website.
    Waited about 2 weeks and was told to fill out and send a questionnaire and updated resume.
    Was contacted by VH1 for a phone interview.... Interviewed the next day and was offered the internship the day after. They are looking for experience and passionate interns.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions, my interviewer did most of the talking, so be sure to discuss when you can.   Answer Question