MTV Networks Interview Questions

Updated Feb 5, 2015

2.6

Executive Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MTV Networks.

There was two rounda - a phone and two in person interviews-- First with the a VP, then the producer directly under her. Both women were sweet. We hit it off, but when it came time to hearing back they never even sent out a "Thanks but we've filled the position e-mail."

Interview Questions
    • Which do you prefer more - editorial writing or production?   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at MTV Networks.

Initial interview was unorganized and they were behind so it began late.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about their own marketing activity, so be educated in their efforts.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MTV Networks.

I applied online and a few weeks later College Relations contacted me and set me up with my supervisor. I did one phone interview and he "hired" me on the spot. A few more e-mails to the College Relations team and I had officially sealed the deal.

Interns don't negotiate.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at MTV Networks in January 2014.

Helpful, interested and genuinely attempting to put me in a position where I would excel. However, an employee within the company had to get my resume to HR - they did not make an independent decision that I was right for the job - rather the executives did once they interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated for my salary and start date

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MTV Networks.

I had one set of interviews. I spoke with some good people, at more junior and more senior levels. Most everybody knew what they were doing and were competent in their jobs. The environment seemed good, as there was plenty of working space, not too crowded, but room to grow.

The interviews were not overly technical (mixed technical/mgmt position), but there were strategic questions and lots of scenario questions. Overall I came out of it with a good impression of the company and excited about the opportunities for growth of our group (which proved much more difficult when viewed internally than from the outside).

Interview Questions
    • How would you change the product to monetize better? (the product hadn't been released yet)   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate for a better compensation, but not to a large degree. I reviewed the contract (or my lawyer did) and it was very standard, no funny business. I had better offers, but the opportunities and work environment seemed better, so after they offered a better salary (which I said was my minimum), I accepted then.

Publicist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MTV Networks in November 2013.

HR contacted me by phone. The phone interview was brief and was meant only to setup an in person interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager wasn't unfriendly (per se) but she & her subordinate both seemed pretentious. I got the impression that their mind was already made up before I even walked into the room.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think working in TV differs from working in other areas of entertainment?   Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Interview was very easy going, I knew I had it in the bag because of my prior experience and they gave me a chance.

Interview Questions
    • Not any difficult questions. I knew to speak of experience so I wasn't uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at MTV Networks.

Was initially contacted via recruiter, then followed up via phone and email with the hiring managers. Brought in for first interview, standard initial interview for a large company. Second interview was with the department manager, was pretty open and friendly, in the MTV offices. Was offered this role, whole process was approx. 3 weeks although, ended up taking a different position.

Interview Questions
    • No major difficult or unexpected questions however, it does help to be well versed in MTV's shows and content.   Answer Question

I was offered more money in a similar position at another company.

PR Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at MTV Networks in August 2013.

I was invited to the office to interview for the position. Two interviewees looked at my resume and portfolio. It was a quick interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about why you like to watch certain MTV shows?   Answer Question

Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at MTV Networks in August 2013.

Met a recruiter at job fair, gave her my resume, received an invitation to interview two days later via email. Interviewed the next week with two people and heard back the following day.

Interview Questions
    • What are your sources for learning about trends in popular culture (blogs, websites, etc.)?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, just discussion of availability.