MTV Networks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few weeks later College Relations contacted me and set me up with my supervisor. I did one phone interview and he "hired" me on the spot. A few more e-mails to the College Relations team and I had officially sealed the deal.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for {specific team}?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Interns don't negotiate.

Director Interview

Director
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Interview Details – I had one set of interviews. I spoke with some good people, at more junior and more senior levels. Most everybody knew what they were doing and were competent in their jobs. The environment seemed good, as there was plenty of working space, not too crowded, but room to grow.

The interviews were not overly technical (mixed technical/mgmt position), but there were strategic questions and lots of scenario questions. Overall I came out of it with a good impression of the company and excited about the opportunities for growth of our group (which proved much more difficult when viewed internally than from the outside).

Interview Question – How would you change the product to monetize better? (the product hadn't been released yet)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate for a better compensation, but not to a large degree. I reviewed the contract (or my lawyer did) and it was very standard, no funny business. I had better offers, but the opportunities and work environment seemed better, so after they offered a better salary (which I said was my minimum), I accepted then.

Publicist Interview

Publicist
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at MTV Networks in November 2013.

Interview Details – HR contacted me by phone. The phone interview was brief and was meant only to setup an in person interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager wasn't unfriendly (per se) but she & her subordinate both seemed pretentious. I got the impression that their mind was already made up before I even walked into the room.

Interview Question – How do you think working in TV differs from working in other areas of entertainment?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Development Intern Interview

Development Intern
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at MTV Networks in August 2013.

Interview Details – Met a recruiter at job fair, gave her my resume, received an invitation to interview two days later via email. Interviewed the next week with two people and heard back the following day.

Interview Question – What are your sources for learning about trends in popular culture (blogs, websites, etc.)?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, just discussion of availability.

Production Assistant Interview

Production Assistant

Interviewed at MTV Networks

Interview Details – Interview was very easy going, I knew I had it in the bag because of my prior experience and they gave me a chance.

Interview Question – Not any difficult questions. I knew to speak of experience so I wasn't uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Producer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks.

Interview Details – Was initially contacted via recruiter, then followed up via phone and email with the hiring managers. Brought in for first interview, standard initial interview for a large company. Second interview was with the department manager, was pretty open and friendly, in the MTV offices. Was offered this role, whole process was approx. 3 weeks although, ended up taking a different position.

Interview Question – No major difficult or unexpected questions however, it does help to be well versed in MTV's shows and content.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered more money in a similar position at another company.

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at MTV Networks in August 2013.

Interview Details – There was supposed to be an interview with 3 people, but 2 didn't make it, so there was just one woman interviewing me. Very friendly and nice. Questions were behavioral, standard list of questions, no surprises. She asked me if I can start tomorrow... I was still employed back then, and said that I need at least a week to make a notice. She said they will make a decision that same day.

Interview Question – What can you contribute to MTV Networks?
What was the most recent thing that made you proud at work?
  Answer Question

Production Assistant Interview

Production Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks in June 2012.

Interview Details – I met with two of MTV staff members. They started with the typical "tell me about yourself question" and then continued with questions about my past internship experience. After waiting for about 4 weeks, I was told the position was no longer being offered due to finances.

Interview Question – Where do you seen yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Communications Intern Interview

Communications Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed with HR and was scheduled to interview with a communications rep at MTV. It took the rep weeks to email me about the interview when it was only supposed to take one day. Then she didn't call me on the day she scheduled for the phone interview. She emailed me the following day asking why I didn't call her for the interview. I've never needed to call the employer for a phone interview in the past. The situation was very sketchy. I decided not to pursue the position any further. A few months later, HR emailed me asking if I was still interested in interning at MTV. I had already taken another internship at that point.

Interview Question – What are you passionate about?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MTV Networks in May 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring process was normal for entertainment: called in, walked into reception, then called to the hiring manager's office. Best to really know the culture here, as if you dress corporate-y (suit, slacks, tie) it may not work unless you're applying for a lawyer job. Many people dressed very trendy, cool. Flip-flops were normal. My hiring manager interviewed me while wearing a sundress and barefoot (it was late springtime). Casual-cool enviro, with hip, in-the-know undertones.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was "Do you have any questions for me?" You always have to have at least one question, so I had to create something.   Answer Question