Mackin Educational Resources Interview Questions & Reviews

2.0

Book Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burnsville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnsville, MN

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Mackin Educational Resources in April 2012.

The hiring process was very easy. The receptionist and HR person were very kind and professional. They definitely made a positive first impression. Walking through the front door you have the impression that this a nice work environment and a friendly place to work. The interview took about half an hour and left knowing that I had a job. Looks can be deceiving though. Once working in the company the friendly atmosphere goes away!

There was no negotiation for salary. It was an hourly rate that I accepted. I took the job regardless of the low pay because of the flexible hours.

Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burnsville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnsville, MN

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mackin Educational Resources.

Reception was professional and friendly. Interviewer seemed friendly. She talked longer about the company than she spent time asking basic interview questions. Basic computer skills are favored, but the company has their own system designed for them that you have to train on.

Interview Questions
    • Got the Where do you plan to be in 5 yrs question.   View Answer
    Offered less than my last job, but promised opportunity for advancement.

Librarian Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Mackin Educational Resources.

Interview was basically the owner talking about the history of the company and didn't consist of much in terms of real interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any substantial questions, I think they just go on how they "feel" about you.   Answer Question
    I would advise women to negotiate as much as they can for a higher wage. I have learned by working here that men make more money than women. There are huge wage disparities within departments. Raises are given at will by the owners and not based on reviews or years worked.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Burnsville, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mackin Educational Resources in May 2012.

Sent in resume and was contacted by HR head--I think she may be the only one in the dept. Had a short phone interview with her and she liked my qualifications and said to expect a call from the owner. Received a phone call from the owner within a couple of days and came in the next week to meet with her. The receptionist who greeted me was wonderful! The interview was 1:1 and was held in a conference room. The front end of the interview was the history of the company, which was longer than any other I had ever had. The rest was her "getting to know who I was" and I shared my work history.

She didn't ask many business-related questions--budgets, quotas, metrics, etc. Honestly, this didn't read like an interview with an owner and I was unclear if it was she was trying to be folksy, or because she wasn't involved in day-to-day operations. When I left, I didn't have a clear idea of the position. I asked about job descriptions and was told that everyone works as a team and you may be asked to do this or that.

Was called back for a second interview, which was with the husband half of the ownership team. He, too, told the history of the company and then talked in circles about where the company was headed and how the competition feared them. He then made some interesting comments about his dislike for unions and liberals, which I thought was odd, but I didn't flinch because in this economy you can't be picky. He didn't ask too many questions about my work experience and noted that his wife had a knack for picking the right people and she apparently had liked me.

Was called back by the wife, but it was unclear if she was going to offer me a job or not. She said it was so I could have a tour of the building. I went and toured and then we went back to her office. She did offer me the job, but even in this economy, the pay was too low for my education (MS) and work experience, so I declined.

Interview Questions

While a professional position, I would not have been salaried. It was an hourly position paying less than $35K a year gross, which was way too low for having an advanced degree.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Mackin Educational Resources

Worked for Mackin Educational Resources? Contribute to the Community!