Macmillan Publishers

international.macmillan.com

Macmillan Publishers Interview Questions

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in September 2011.

After submitting an application on the Macmillan website, HR will give you a call for an interview if your credentials are acceptable (I had barely any experience at the time). You will be slotted based on your experience, so I was selected to interview with an imprint on the lesser end of the renown-spectrum. The interview process was very laidback, and my editors' personalities shown through. It was a small team and they were all present for the interview, and they gave a great picture of the overall operations.

Interview Questions
    Internship - flat 8$/hr rate with no negotiating. Take it or leave it 'cause the lumpenproletariat is waiting for your job.

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in January 2013.

Not too crazy of an interview. Obviously they tech the heck out of you.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to white board (draw an architecture of a system on the board).   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Regional Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in January 2014.

The interview process started out with a 15 or 20 minute "screening" call where you will be asked the standard type interview questions, "why do you want this job", "why would you be a good fit", etc. Depending on the results of that phone call, you will be invited for an in person interview which lasted 1.5 hours.

This interview was very conversational, and my interviewer was very nice and easy to talk to - very down to earth. What ultimately killed the job for me was my lack of outside sales experience. I found it odd they would call me knowing my lack of outside experience and knowing it was such a high requirement for the position. This interview was very conversational, and did include a few of the standard type interview questions, ie, why should we hire you, basically them giving you a chance to sell yourself and the benefits of hiring you vs another candidate.

After this interview, I was told the final step would be one more interview at their HQ in Austin, Tx with the VP of sales. The turn-around on this process was very quick as they were needing someone asap to fill the position. I am unsure what the regular time frame might be when they are not in a hurry. I unfortunately did not make it to the final interview but would rate the overall experience positive.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked me what my friends or significant other would change about me should anyone ask, and I did not see that coming.   View Answer

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers.

Never spoke to the HR person until I was hired by the VP

Interview Questions
    I received a lower base than I wanted but was able to have a bonus.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in June 2010.

This was a rather lengthy interview process--they really put you through the paces to make sure you're the right candidate for the job. The interview process includes multiple (5-10) phone interviews, 2-3 in-person interviews, and a full campus project.

Interview Questions
    • Someone not in higher ed might find questions about content and the lists somewhat daunting--do your homework ahead of time on the company websites.   Answer Question
    The negotiation of my salary was somewhat disappointing. There didn't appear to be a lot of flexibility.

Media Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in August 2010.

very casual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in May 2010.

Phone interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in April 2010.

Someone from HR called to set up the interview, and I came in to New York for the interview. The interview was one-on-one with the person who was my supervisor for the summer. Interview process was straightforward and easy; the interviewer mostly seemed concerned that I knew what the internship would consist of. There were no particularly tricky questions, just the usual fare. I think the selection for the position was mostly decided by the proofreading test I was given at the end of the interview. (I was allowed to take it home.)

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just wanted to know about my past experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

They asked mostly basic questions, like why I wanted to work in publishing and what books I had read recently. I interviewed with two people at once over speakerphone which often made it very difficult to make out what they were saying.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed with the marketing director who was very conversational. The interview lasted about 15-20 minutes. She gave me an assignment to write a marketing plan based on one of the books in their catalog and to e-mail it to her.

Interview Questions

Worked for Macmillan Publishers? Contribute to the Community!