Macmillan Publishers Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.5

Editor Interview

Interview

It was great. It really was. Very conversational and not scary. It's easy to talk to people about books who love books. I was able to speak with a number of different people I would be working with in the position which helped me get a sense of the environment.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in March 2015.

Interview

Phone screen was basic with fairly easy questions. My working experience, expectations for the position, specific interest in any particular imprint. I applied for a design position, but the HR person didn't seem to know if there would be any design internships available, so she described a program that lets interns rotate through different departments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Group interview, 3 managers and 8 interviewees sit in a same big table. Asked question about past job experiences. All managers were very nice, and questions were quite simple. It was a co-op program with our college, so totally it only took 1 week for us to receive the offer.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral questions, ask about former job and experiences.   Answer Question

Project Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied through my agency. Got an interview after 7 days. 1:1 interview. Everyone was nice there. Typical questions: tell me about yourself? What appeals to you about the job? Where do you see yourself in five years? Not stressful and it was not too hard. It's a good companies for recent graduates. 15/ hour for interns. Usually everyone works from home on summer Fridays.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? What appeals to you about the job? Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macmillan Publishers (Boston, MA).

Interview

Never spoke to the HR person until I was hired by the VP

Interview Questions

• "So do you want to help me succeed?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received a lower base than I wanted but was able to have a bonus.

Regional Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macmillan Publishers (Atlanta, GA) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process started out with a 15 or 20 minute "screening" call where you will be asked the standard type interview questions, "why do you want this job", "why would you be a good fit", etc. Depending on the results of that phone call, you will be invited for an in person interview which lasted 1.5 hours.

This interview was very conversational, and my interviewer was very nice and easy to talk to - very down to earth. What ultimately killed the job for me was my lack of outside sales experience. I found it odd they would call me knowing my lack of outside experience and knowing it was such a high requirement for the position. This interview was very conversational, and did include a few of the standard type interview questions, ie, why should we hire you, basically them giving you a chance to sell yourself and the benefits of hiring you vs another candidate.

After this interview, I was told the final step would be one more interview at their HQ in Austin, Tx with the VP of sales. The turn-around on this process was very quick as they were needing someone asap to fill the position. I am unsure what the regular time frame might be when they are not in a hurry. I unfortunately did not make it to the final interview but would rate the overall experience positive.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me what my friends or significant other would change about me should anyone ask, and I did not see that coming.   1 Answer

Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Not too crazy of an interview. Obviously they tech the heck out of you.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to white board (draw an architecture of a system on the board).   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

After submitting an application on the Macmillan website, HR will give you a call for an interview if your credentials are acceptable (I had barely any experience at the time). You will be slotted based on your experience, so I was selected to interview with an imprint on the lesser end of the renown-spectrum. The interview process was very laidback, and my editors' personalities shown through. It was a small team and they were all present for the interview, and they gave a great picture of the overall operations.

Interview Questions

• What drew you to our publication?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Internship - flat 8$/hr rate with no negotiating. Take it or leave it 'cause the lumpenproletariat is waiting for your job.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

The process was straightforward. I answered an online ad. The next day I received an email asking if I wanted to come in for an interview. I did not meet with anyone in HR. I was interviewed by the publisher directly.

Interview Questions

• There were no real questions. The publisher spent most of our time together explaining that the books that I've edited in the past weren't the kind of books that she would ever publish at her imprint. Although they were commercially successful, they were sub par. It was odd. I'm not sure why she called me in for the interview.   Answer Question

Media Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

very casual