Macmillan Publishers

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in September 2011.

Interview Details – After submitting an application on the Macmillan website, HR will give you a call for an interview if your credentials are acceptable (I had barely any experience at the time). You will be slotted based on your experience, so I was selected to interview with an imprint on the lesser end of the renown-spectrum. The interview process was very laidback, and my editors' personalities shown through. It was a small team and they were all present for the interview, and they gave a great picture of the overall operations.

Interview Question – What drew you to our publication?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Internship - flat 8$/hr rate with no negotiating. Take it or leave it 'cause the lumpenproletariat is waiting for your job.

Programmer Interview

Programmer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in January 2013.

Interview Details – Not too crazy of an interview. Obviously they tech the heck out of you.

Interview Question – Be prepared to white board (draw an architecture of a system on the board).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Regional Sales Representative Interview

Regional Sales Representative
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process started out with a 15 or 20 minute "screening" call where you will be asked the standard type interview questions, "why do you want this job", "why would you be a good fit", etc. Depending on the results of that phone call, you will be invited for an in person interview which lasted 1.5 hours.

This interview was very conversational, and my interviewer was very nice and easy to talk to - very down to earth. What ultimately killed the job for me was my lack of outside sales experience. I found it odd they would call me knowing my lack of outside experience and knowing it was such a high requirement for the position. This interview was very conversational, and did include a few of the standard type interview questions, ie, why should we hire you, basically them giving you a chance to sell yourself and the benefits of hiring you vs another candidate.

After this interview, I was told the final step would be one more interview at their HQ in Austin, Tx with the VP of sales. The turn-around on this process was very quick as they were needing someone asap to fill the position. I am unsure what the regular time frame might be when they are not in a hurry. I unfortunately did not make it to the final interview but would rate the overall experience positive.

Interview Question – The interviewer asked me what my friends or significant other would change about me should anyone ask, and I did not see that coming.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers.

Interview Details – Never spoke to the HR person until I was hired by the VP

Interview Question – "So do you want to help me succeed?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I received a lower base than I wanted but was able to have a bonus.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in June 2010.

Interview Details – This was a rather lengthy interview process--they really put you through the paces to make sure you're the right candidate for the job. The interview process includes multiple (5-10) phone interviews, 2-3 in-person interviews, and a full campus project.

Interview Question – Someone not in higher ed might find questions about content and the lists somewhat daunting--do your homework ahead of time on the company websites.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation of my salary was somewhat disappointing. There didn't appear to be a lot of flexibility.

Very Easy Interview

Media Producer Interview

Media Producer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in August 2010.

Interview Details – very casual

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interviews

Interview Question – What are your favorite recent books?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in April 2010.

Interview Details – Someone from HR called to set up the interview, and I came in to New York for the interview. The interview was one-on-one with the person who was my supervisor for the summer. Interview process was straightforward and easy; the interviewer mostly seemed concerned that I knew what the internship would consist of. There were no particularly tricky questions, just the usual fare. I think the selection for the position was mostly decided by the proofreading test I was given at the end of the interview. (I was allowed to take it home.)

Interview Question – No difficult questions, just wanted to know about my past experience.   Answer Question

New York, NY

Interview Details – They asked mostly basic questions, like why I wanted to work in publishing and what books I had read recently. I interviewed with two people at once over speakerphone which often made it very difficult to make out what they were saying.

Interview Question – What books have you read recently?   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Marketing Assistant
New York, NY

Interview Details – I interviewed with the marketing director who was very conversational. The interview lasted about 15-20 minutes. She gave me an assignment to write a marketing plan based on one of the books in their catalog and to e-mail it to her.

Interview Question – Tell me about your previous work experience.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Macmillan Publishers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macmillan Publishers interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macmillan Publishers employees and interview candidates.