Macquarie Group Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I was called for an initial screening by an off-site hiring consultant. We spoke briefly about the position and to see if I was a good fit for the role and the company. After about five days or so, I was contacted by the hiring manager to meet in Manhattan for an interview with two members of the team.

I met with both gentlemen and we spoke briefly about the role and my desires that were geared toward this specific role. As an entry-level position with no real experience necessary, they did not delve into nor desire to hear much regarding my schooling nor my experience as a post-grad.

Given the position, I would have more than likely taken it, but I felt like I was not welcome very much from the beginning. My answers to their questions never really seemed quite up to snuff and I felt quite debased each time I answered. I've had a variety of different experiences on interviews, but I'd have to say, this wasn't the best one by any stretch.

Interview Questions

• Some experts and individuals within the industry say that the S&P 500 is overvalued, what are your thoughts on this? And why?   Answer Question
    • What is the square root of 10,000,000?   1 Answer
    • How many windows are in New York City?   1 Answer
    • Tell me something interesting about yourself. Tell me something interesting in general.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

Friendly and yet professional, feels comfortable. Seems like a great place to work, smart people but not cocky. Overall atmosphere is calm and a little relaxed which is rare for an ib.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview

First round was half hour interview with two interviewers-- one sort of played good cop while the other played bad cop. Asked mostly behavior questions, then some basic facts about the company as well as any interests in the markets. A few brain teasers but nothing too tricky.

Interview Questions

Interview

Applied through email invitation. Got invited to an event a week later. Have guest speakers and networking sessions to meet the interviewers. Scheduled an interview on that weekend. Had two back to back interviews. Mostly behavioral questions. why Macquarie as opposed to other BB banks, why risk management, past experiences (asked very specific and detailed questions about my resume.). After the first round of the interview, I also got an online assessment.

Interview Questions

• Had a case question during the first interview. but it was easy and just explain every step you went through would be fine.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview

Recruitment through school. Contacts from information session, guys were really friendly. Some of the team is awkward. First round over the phone, Associate kept missing my call so it was postponed a day. Superday in the LA office. Six rounds in singles and pairs.

Interview Questions

• One VP talked about bonds for literally the entire interview.   1 Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

interviewed at Macquarie Group in January 2015.

Interview

Took one week, first was a phone interview, followed by three SHL tests (numeric, verbal, abstract) and two personality tests. Interviewer, a VP, was great, engaging, questions not too technical, more personality / fit based. Seemingly great environment in NY office, quickly growing in US infrastructure / commodity markets. Interviewer answered all of my questions thoroughly, had great things to say about his experience at the company. Still waiting to hear results of assessments and information about the final screening.

Interview Questions

• Why my major? Why my school? Why would I be a good fit for the job? Wanted to know how acquainted I was with commodities markets and recent deals that Mac. had done.   Answer Question

Equity Sales Interview

Application

Interview

Started with application through university database. On campus interview with one sales and one research director. Had to then take online exam. After that go invited to interview at main New York office. Had to take a second online assessment after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. Asked to walk through resume. Asked for me to pitch stock as well.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

The interview process included quantitative questions, along with in-depth discussions on why I would like to pursue a career in the division. In the end, I believe it was more of telling my story and vision more than valuation during the interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in November 2014.

Interview

Online Application. Phone interview with recruitment and member of team (motivational/behavioral questions and some technical). Aptitude tests (numerical,verbal, reasoning). Final technical interview. Overall a fast process with feedback along the way. HR is very helpful.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2014.

Interview

Initial communication from internal recruiter via email. Interview scheduled promptly. Process was extremely professional. I was interviewed by two attorney-managers who were prompt and courteous and clear. There was no pre-screening. Interviews lasted roughly 30 minutes and were conducted in a prompt and professional manner. A pre-screening interview with the recruiter probably would have made sense in context.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer believed the job was "below" my qualifications and asked questions around that issue. The question wasn't difficult, but the expectation wasn't clear prior to the interview, hence it was surprising.   Answer Question