Macquarie Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2014
Updated Aug 23, 2014

3.1

Senior Compliance/Risk Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2014.

Very intense interview process consisting of a 3 hour psychometric exam followed by 4-5 one on one interviews with the hiring manager, department head, and two other head ofs. First interview focused on culture fit and background. The second interview with the department head was significantly more challenging focusing more on technical abilities and demonstrated experience. Unfortunately, I did not get the role as it was only at the second stage that I was made aware of the department head's desire for a candidate with very specific experience.

One thing you'll notice immediately is that there is a high achieving culture as the people are very intelligent. I was impressed by this compliance team's values and the management's vision for how it will add value to the business as a whole.

Interview Questions
    • What is your definition of "compliance" in reference to investment banking? Be specific.

This question was unexpected because there was no previous indication that the role would be focused on investment banking (it was advertised as a generalist role).
        Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2009.

Two times of phone interviews, and on-site interview

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral question on the first round. Did not make it to the second round   Answer Question

Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2009.

Basically, the initial communication was very standard by email informing candidate to know whether they had received a 1st round interview. Be aware!! Interviews are given at extremely short notice (1-3 days!).

Advice is to really read on your brainteasers well before the interviews!

Perception of the people working there are :

Young, smart, tech-savvy and all seem single!!

Office is in heart of martin pl which is good

Work culture seems very tedious but that's investment banking for you!

Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2010.

Sent my resume via email. HR called to conduct 1st interview (screening), then scheduled for the tech interview. It was a the phone conference with the Associate Director for the Manila dev team. Got asked hard hibernate, spring, identity management questions. Passed, was scheduled for pschometric exam - hard.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult question was if i was how to solve Hibernate n+1 problem in a web application environment where the session was already dead at the presentation layer. When is it acceptable and when should it be addressed.   Answer Question
    I asked for double my current salary however I was given 50% lower offer. I was able to bargain more because I had another offer giving me 75% increase. We settled for 70%, I took it because the other offer was with a software company known to be toxic.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Macquarie Group in December 2010.

Very lengthy and stringent. Multiple interactions spanning over a period of almost 6 months and technical discussions, interviews etc. Finally there is a psychometric assessment as well and then salary negotiations.

Very difficult, Indian HR had very poor exposure on hiring process and etiquette.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

interviewed at Macquarie Group in September 2013.

I first went through an initial screening on the phone with HR. During the conversation, we went through my CV on my work experience. Essentially I think HR was trying to get a clearer picture of my profile. After that, I had my first face to face interview before proceeding to sit for a psychometric test. Lastly, I had my final interview a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Abstract reasoning portion of the test and some of the behavioural questions.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

- Applied online
    - Called up a week or so later to come in for an interview
    - Interview with 3 people
    - Psychometric test the next day (had to come in to the office to do it, NOT online)
    - 2 more interviews about a week later with different divisions, each interview was with 2 people

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had difficulty working in a team and how you resolved this issue   View Answer

Foreign Exchange Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2011.

The easiest/best way to get a job at Macquarie is to know someone. So use your networking skills. The HR department is swamped with thousands of resumes - so do your best to go around them. When you do get an interview, it will normally be first with a Senior Member of the Desk, before meeting with the Division and Desk Head. Before you do an interview you'll also sit a computer test that measures your personality suitability for the company. Everyone does this test.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions relate to your ability to handle the pressure of international financial markets. But there is a keen focus on personality - will you fit in with the other members of the desk? Are you interested in making lots of money for yourself - they want to see the drive for profit.   Answer Question

Analyst - M&A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Macquarie Group in November 2009.

Initial application and online tests followed by multiple rounds of interviews and assessment centre which included numerical, verbal reasoning, logical and personality testing. NB I believe they have now scrapped the personality test as it included silly questions such as "would you sell to your grandmother. If selected, you will likely end up in the team of the director who interviewed you!

They claim to be very flexible on moving internally but in reality they aren't

Interview Questions
    • How tall is this building, how many marriages a year in Germany. They aren't looking for a correct answer, instead they want you to talk them through your thought process and reasoning   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2011.

1 interview with Associate Director
    2 phsycometric test
    3 interview with main directors

no negotiation

Worked for Macquarie Group? Contribute to the Community!