Macquarie Group

Updated Mar 3, 2015

3.1

Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

The process took a weekinterviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2009.

Basically, the initial communication was very standard by email informing candidate to know whether they had received a 1st round interview. Be aware!! Interviews are given at extremely short notice (1-3 days!).

Advice is to really read on your brainteasers well before the interviews!

Perception of the people working there are :

Young, smart, tech-savvy and all seem single!!

Office is in heart of martin pl which is good

Work culture seems very tedious but that's investment banking for you!

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Macquarie Group in December 2010.

Very lengthy and stringent. Multiple interactions spanning over a period of almost 6 months and technical discussions, interviews etc. Finally there is a psychometric assessment as well and then salary negotiations.

Very difficult, Indian HR had very poor exposure on hiring process and etiquette.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2009.

Two times of phone interviews, and on-site interview

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral question on the first round. Did not make it to the second round   Answer Question

Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manila, Manila (Philippines)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2010.

Sent my resume via email. HR called to conduct 1st interview (screening), then scheduled for the tech interview. It was a the phone conference with the Associate Director for the Manila dev team. Got asked hard hibernate, spring, identity management questions. Passed, was scheduled for pschometric exam - hard.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult question was if i was how to solve Hibernate n+1 problem in a web application environment where the session was already dead at the presentation layer. When is it acceptable and when should it be addressed.   Answer Question
    I asked for double my current salary however I was given 50% lower offer. I was able to bargain more because I had another offer giving me 75% increase. We settled for 70%, I took it because the other offer was with a software company known to be toxic.

Senior Compliance/Risk Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2014.

Very intense interview process consisting of a 3 hour psychometric exam followed by 4-5 one on one interviews with the hiring manager, department head, and two other head ofs. First interview focused on culture fit and background. The second interview with the department head was significantly more challenging focusing more on technical abilities and demonstrated experience. Unfortunately, I did not get the role as it was only at the second stage that I was made aware of the department head's desire for a candidate with very specific experience.

One thing you'll notice immediately is that there is a high achieving culture as the people are very intelligent. I was impressed by this compliance team's values and the management's vision for how it will add value to the business as a whole.

Interview Questions
    • What is your definition of "compliance" in reference to investment banking? Be specific.

This question was unexpected because there was no previous indication that the role would be focused on investment banking (it was advertised as a generalist role).

Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2014.

You will receive a call from HR, who will conduct a phone interview with you referring to your CV, Then if successful the DD or Manager from team you applied for will meet with you for 45 Min, followed by another meeting straight after.

If successful you will then be asked to come in for a Psych test (Very difficult) depending on position applied for and relevance, you will be judged based on your mark and will need to meet the requirement % for that particular role to be successful. This is the last step and then you will hear back from HR regarding whether you have been successful or unsuccessful in obtaining the position.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of corporation do you see Macquarie as, what are your thoughts and views.   View Answer

Client Refresh Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

The overall hiring process is almost a month. HR communicates mostly thru email, then they will call you. The exam was easy, although it is timed. Candidates are also asked if willing to work in night shift.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about you that is not on your resume   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Sell Side Analyst Interview

Send my CV through a senior employee and then contact by the HR to process. Firstly a phone interview by two members of the quantitative research team, followed by an assessment centre consisting of SHL tests and a sales test, and after that a second round f2f interview.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2011.

1 interview with Associate Director
    2 phsycometric test
    3 interview with main directors

no negotiation

Documentation Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

There was a phone Interview with HR, Psych Testing covering verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and personality. There were also two 2 on 1 interviews. Both technical and behavioral questions were asked. Interviews were professional and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of technical property related questions and behavioral questions.   Answer Question