Macquarie Group Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014
Updated Oct 11, 2014

3.1

Quantitative Research Sell Side Analyst Interview

Send my CV through a senior employee and then contact by the HR to process. Firstly a phone interview by two members of the quantitative research team, followed by an assessment centre consisting of SHL tests and a sales test, and after that a second round f2f interview.

Senior Equity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in August 2013.

Hiring and interview process consisted of 3 separate interviews with various members of the team. These interviews were fairly generic with standard questions about experience and motivations. To complete the process, a psychometric assessment was done which went for around 2 hours. Part of this assessment was personality based and relatively straight forward (no point lying here as questions are phrased to see if your answers are consistent), the other parts of the assessment were based around a proprietary psychometric test which had 3x 20 minute sections (20 problems in 20 minutes). The sections were verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and abstract reasoning. These tests were difficult to complete in the allotted time (I would recommend any online provider to aid in practicing for this).

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fine, aptitude test was the trickiest thing.   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macquarie Group in March 2010.

Phone interview for job in overseas country. We never met before joining however many phone/video chats were had. I had to go into a local office to do a psychometric and aptitude test....3 rounds of interviews in total...friendly people and easy process because they needed someone fast. The test was on a computer and not something you can really study for...Math, pattern matching and personality questions were the main part of it

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2014.

You will receive a call from HR, who will conduct a phone interview with you referring to your CV, Then if successful the DD or Manager from team you applied for will meet with you for 45 Min, followed by another meeting straight after.

If successful you will then be asked to come in for a Psych test (Very difficult) depending on position applied for and relevance, you will be judged based on your mark and will need to meet the requirement % for that particular role to be successful. This is the last step and then you will hear back from HR regarding whether you have been successful or unsuccessful in obtaining the position.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of corporation do you see Macquarie as, what are your thoughts and views.   View Answer

Senior Compliance/Risk Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2014.

Very intense interview process consisting of a 3 hour psychometric exam followed by 4-5 one on one interviews with the hiring manager, department head, and two other head ofs. First interview focused on culture fit and background. The second interview with the department head was significantly more challenging focusing more on technical abilities and demonstrated experience. Unfortunately, I did not get the role as it was only at the second stage that I was made aware of the department head's desire for a candidate with very specific experience.

One thing you'll notice immediately is that there is a high achieving culture as the people are very intelligent. I was impressed by this compliance team's values and the management's vision for how it will add value to the business as a whole.

Interview Questions
    • What is your definition of "compliance" in reference to investment banking? Be specific.

This question was unexpected because there was no previous indication that the role would be focused on investment banking (it was advertised as a generalist role).
        Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview process included aptitude tests (eg. what image comes next in a sequence) and behavioral tests that took almost three hours. No feedback or contact whatsoever after interview process complete (three interviews and aptitude tests). Lack of follow up a concern, and unprofessional.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (South Africa)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2014.

Interview the day after I submitted application. Interview with one member from HR and a junior analyst from Mac Cap. Interview was fairly relaxed, a lot of focus on resume and questions about my resume. A few technical questions asking how I'd value a company. One brain teaser type question at the end.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

7 round interview, all of which were very straight forward and surprisingly relaxed. Interviewers, in specific order, were MD, SVP, VP, Associate, SVP, Associate, Recruiter. They give you a few breaks (for lunch and in between interviews). I highly recommend using this time wisely. All in all, pretty straight forward for an IB interview.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in December 2010.

Interviewed by 2 senior bankers and completed a psychometric exam on the computer, which is standard for all new Macquarie hires. The in-person interviews were pretty relaxed and seemed to focus more on overall fit rather than technical aspects. This is probably because Macquarie seeks to train its junior hires in its own way from the start.

Interview Questions
    Standard BA entry package, little to negotiate.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

On campus recruiting like all other banks, then first round interviews on campus with a girl from HR or a relatively junior person, then took some ridiculously long assessment test, then final round superday at the company office (3-4 interviews, 30 min each). They did draw out the process a lot longer than I would have liked, but they gave me two weeks to decide and let me pick my start date the following summer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work specifically at Macquarie? (didn't know much about the firm when I applied)   Answer Question
    Standard analyst contract