Macquarie Group

Updated Nov 23, 2014

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2011.

I met with them on campus. I talked with them briefly and was invited to an interview on location, with about 5 other candidates on site. Overall, the employees were laid back and the experience was fun.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe my previous technical experiences, as well as code up some simple C functions.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

2 Interviews: 1 with a VP, 1 with a Managing Director; 1 Technical (single case with multiple questions), 1 logic/brain teaser/behavioral

Interview Questions
    • Value and form the capital structure for a toll road with an EBITDA of $30M   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

They asked me some behavioral questions. Expect to do your research about the company. There was a series of scenario questions involving IT and its infrastructure that weren't too difficult. There were three rounds of group interview with HR and the group that you would be working with. The interview were spaced out and the interviewees supportive.

ITG Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

Soon after applying to Macquarie Group I was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was relatively laid back, no technical questions, just inquiries on my personal interests and interest in the company. I spent maybe an hour preparing by reading their site and some info on wiki, and that was sufficient to hold a 30 minute conversations.
    The second and final interview was in the office about 2 weeks later. That was a full day of 5 interviews back to back. First was a one hour follow up with the same person as the phone interview, so nothing technical yet. The next was a one hour personality and skills test/conversation with another person, still not technical, just be honest. After that, the next interview was also one hour long but with two employees. One had apparently Googled me, which scared me at first, but all he brought up was the fact that I can solve the Rubik's cube. Besides that, it was mostly a check on my Computer Science background: what courses I have taken, what projects I had done, strengths and weaknesses, etc. I wasn't asked to write any code in this one. Finally, the last two interviews were 45 minute tech interviews. There were basic introductions as with the other interviews and then the I was asked a few coding questions. All rather simple: reverse a string, write a stack class, and write a multiply function using only for loops and addition. After that, I asked questions about the company and left.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a simple stack class with the functions push, pop, peak and getSize.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate because it was the best offer I had. But my advice is the same I've got from friends who have negotiated: don't lie. Be completely straight forward and honest.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

Group pannel interview with two mid-range employees. Questions were fairly typical for investment banking interviews- accounting, basic valuation. Second round was a superday in their NYC office. Two interviews with fairly senior people. One was more quantitative one was more soft. Quantitative focused on basic math, speed and confidence. One of their main focuses was where you see yourself in 10 years and what you have been doing to reach it.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in January 2011.

Was interviewed for a contract to perm position. First interview was in person with 2 people. Next round was via telepresence with someone in Sydney. The assessment was intense.

Not much room for negotiation but salary and package was good so I was comfortable. Too bad I didn't know that 3 years would go by without them giving any raises or I would have asked for more money up front!

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in January 2011.

This was a standard banking interview, with a bunch of questions like 'what was your favorite class in college' and 'why do you want to be an investment banking analyst.' One of the two guys who interviewed me looked very sour, and never smiled. The other one looked tired and unhappy, but made an effort to smile a few times.

Interview Questions
    • They also gave me a case: We are pitching to a client who sells batteries, but has been experiencing a decline in sales lately. What recommendations should we make to help them boost their sales?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in December 2010.

Interviewed by 2 senior bankers and completed a psychometric exam on the computer, which is standard for all new Macquarie hires. The in-person interviews were pretty relaxed and seemed to focus more on overall fit rather than technical aspects. This is probably because Macquarie seeks to train its junior hires in its own way from the start.

Interview Questions
    Standard BA entry package, little to negotiate.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in November 2010.

I went for a personal interview on campus with two Macquarie employees after meeting one of them at a campus Career Fair. They were both extremely friendly, and the interview was very relaxed. It was definitely more of a fit interview than technical. At one point, the interviewer I had met even guided me through a question. The day after, we were all required to take a 3 hour long personality/skills test. This was not mentioned during the interview so make sure you are aware that it is a requirement of ALL new Macquarie hires (including MDs) so you won't be able to get out of it. The second interview I had was a brief, 4 minute phone call. I was not required to travel to NY for this round. Great people, relaxed office and the work culture is unlike any other on the Street (especially if you are in infrastructure, where most people were not poached from other firms but spent their entire career at Macquarie).

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your considerations of an investment in a toll road in Mexico.   Answer Question
    • What would the balance sheet of the toll road look like?   Answer Question
    The contract is standard and as a first year hire you won't be able to negotiate. The package is market and the salary increase for first years is definitely above market.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Macquarie Group in August 2010.

was a good round of technocal interviews. Work seemed challenging