Macquarie Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in March 2008.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a headhunter. After a few telephone interviews and a trip to London I was offered the chance to take a 3 hour exam. I was offered a job immediately thereafter.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I held out for a signing bonus and got it.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – I met with them on campus. I talked with them briefly and was invited to an interview on location, with about 5 other candidates on site. Overall, the employees were laid back and the experience was fun.

Interview Question – I was asked to describe my previous technical experiences, as well as code up some simple C functions.   Answer Question

Reception Interview

Reception
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2012.

Interview Details – I had never heard of the company before a recruiter saw my resume online, saw I had reception and service experience, and invited me to apply for the position. I interviewed with the recruiters first and they set up an interview time with the company.
 The interview at Macquarie was overall a pleasant experience. I interviewed with two people. I could tell one person had actually looked at my resume and asked me thoughtful and insightful questions. The other person appeared as if they had just looked at my resume for the first time and asked general questions. I was confident in my speech and answers and asked them both about the company culture, how they've grown with the company, and what they liked about working there.
Interviewers seemed to unconsciously adopt a "good cop/bad cop" stance. One interviewer was extremely candid about the pros and cons of the job and really gave me a feel for the daily operations, daily struggles, the variety of personalities to deal with, and rewards of working there. The other acted as if she was reading from a script of company values, which was fine, but gave no insight into what I'd really be doing each day. Both interviewers constantly made a point about how finding a new way to do things was valued in the company. This was brought up over and over again but when I asked both interviewers to give me an example of how they found new ways to complete tasks they admitted that neither of them had done so.
     I was asked back for a 2nd interview a few days later. After I announced myself and sat in the office lobby, the receptionist asked me to take a phone call at her desk. It was the recruiter, explaining the person who was originally leaving the job for the position I interviewed for had decided to remain in the job and that since I was no longer needed I could leave. I was stunned. Once my interviewers at Macquarie knew this they should have called the recruiter right away to cancel the interview and I never would have shown up. Also, it appeared my interviewers were both so cowardly and unprofessional that they could not step out of their offices ten feet away from the lobby to personally advise me the position was no longer available. I felt it was passive and careless to decide not to meet me at the appointed time, choose not to speak to me directly about the situation, call the recruiter to advise of change in position, and have the recruiter then call me in Macquarie's offices. A complete turn-off.

Interview Question – In what way do you approach leadership? Pretend you are placed in a group of strangers,do you take the reigns immediately? Are you more of a listener? When do you decide to act?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Underwriter Interview

Senior Underwriter
Jacksonville, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in January 2008.

Interview Details – Fairly straight forward, however the process took forever.

Interview Question – Do you like cheese?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one.

South African Equities Sales Interview

South African Equities Sales
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2010.

Interview Details – We review resumes and select the best ones for our needs and clients, then we review their online portfolios if they have them if they are designers or art directors. If we find their work good or appropriate for our clients and it matches their resume and background we have our assistants set up interviews for us. If their is some question about them, then perhaps they will get a phone interview first.

Interview Questions

• Please highlight your past jobs, telling me the employment dates when you worked for companies and what your job duties were. (Candidate should not have resume in hand and should be able to recite from memory). If there are any gaps in employment, inquire about the situation(s).   Answer Question
  • Who did you report to and who reported to you (title)?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in November 2010.

Interview Details – I went for a personal interview on campus with two Macquarie employees after meeting one of them at a campus Career Fair. They were both extremely friendly, and the interview was very relaxed. It was definitely more of a fit interview than technical. At one point, the interviewer I had met even guided me through a question. The day after, we were all required to take a 3 hour long personality/skills test. This was not mentioned during the interview so make sure you are aware that it is a requirement of ALL new Macquarie hires (including MDs) so you won't be able to get out of it. The second interview I had was a brief, 4 minute phone call. I was not required to travel to NY for this round. Great people, relaxed office and the work culture is unlike any other on the Street (especially if you are in infrastructure, where most people were not poached from other firms but spent their entire career at Macquarie).

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your considerations of an investment in a toll road in Mexico.   Answer Question
  • What would the balance sheet of the toll road look like?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The contract is standard and as a first year hire you won't be able to negotiate. The package is market and the salary increase for first years is definitely above market.

IT Analyst Interview

IT Analyst
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – They asked me some behavioral questions. Expect to do your research about the company. There was a series of scenario questions involving IT and its infrastructure that weren't too difficult. There were three rounds of group interview with HR and the group that you would be working with. The interview were spaced out and the interviewees supportive.

Interview Question – What do you know about the company?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – 2 Interviews: 1 with a VP, 1 with a Managing Director; 1 Technical (single case with multiple questions), 1 logic/brain teaser/behavioral

Interview Question – Value and form the capital structure for a toll road with an EBITDA of $30M   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewer a tad intimidating, he started off by asking behavioral questions, why macquerie, why banking, and then he started asking me brain teasers like, square root 100000, what's 99*99, etc... Then he asked me what are the news I am following, and asked me which class I like most. He also asked me which specific division I want to work in, I think I screwed on this one...

Interview Question – square root 100000   View Answers (2)

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – Group pannel interview with two mid-range employees. Questions were fairly typical for investment banking interviews- accounting, basic valuation. Second round was a superday in their NYC office. Two interviews with fairly senior people. One was more quantitative one was more soft. Quantitative focused on basic math, speed and confidence. One of their main focuses was where you see yourself in 10 years and what you have been doing to reach it.

Interview Question – What is the square root of 100,000?   View Answer