Macquarie Group

3.2

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middlebury, VT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middlebury, VT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in January 2013.

Applied online; phone interviewed by two analysts; basic valuation and fit questions

Interview Questions
    • How do you find WACC for a private company   View Answer

Data Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in January 2013.

standard 2 rounds of interview with 1 assessment test

Equity Research Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in January 2013.

1st - One on one meeting with Senior Analyst. Fit questions, some technical questions, favorite stock etc.

2nd - Meeting with HR. All fit/behavioral questions

3rd - Meeting with Sr Research Associate. SImilar to 1st meeting.

National Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Macquarie Group in November 2012.

Hiring process took 6 months...

Interview Questions
    • Had to take and pass psychometrics exam at end of hiring process. Will not be hired if yu don't pass the 4 exams   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2012.

Applied through campus recruiting, first there was an on-campus interview with an associate and analyst (mix of fit + technical); then they make you take an online assessment that is pretty difficult and a week later they invited me to the superday. The super day was two fit interviews and one case (not like consulting more understanding why a merger was done and structured in a specific way).

Interview Questions
    • the case was hard if you don't know what financial engineering is and when to use stock vs cash.   Answer Question
    did not negotiate

Reception Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2012.

I had never heard of the company before a recruiter saw my resume online, saw I had reception and service experience, and invited me to apply for the position. I interviewed with the recruiters first and they set up an interview time with the company.
     The interview at Macquarie was overall a pleasant experience. I interviewed with two people. I could tell one person had actually looked at my resume and asked me thoughtful and insightful questions. The other person appeared as if they had just looked at my resume for the first time and asked general questions. I was confident in my speech and answers and asked them both about the company culture, how they've grown with the company, and what they liked about working there.
    Interviewers seemed to unconsciously adopt a "good cop/bad cop" stance. One interviewer was extremely candid about the pros and cons of the job and really gave me a feel for the daily operations, daily struggles, the variety of personalities to deal with, and rewards of working there. The other acted as if she was reading from a script of company values, which was fine, but gave no insight into what I'd really be doing each day. Both interviewers constantly made a point about how finding a new way to do things was valued in the company. This was brought up over and over again but when I asked both interviewers to give me an example of how they found new ways to complete tasks they admitted that neither of them had done so.
         I was asked back for a 2nd interview a few days later. After I announced myself and sat in the office lobby, the receptionist asked me to take a phone call at her desk. It was the recruiter, explaining the person who was originally leaving the job for the position I interviewed for had decided to remain in the job and that since I was no longer needed I could leave. I was stunned. Once my interviewers at Macquarie knew this they should have called the recruiter right away to cancel the interview and I never would have shown up. Also, it appeared my interviewers were both so cowardly and unprofessional that they could not step out of their offices ten feet away from the lobby to personally advise me the position was no longer available. I felt it was passive and careless to decide not to meet me at the appointed time, choose not to speak to me directly about the situation, call the recruiter to advise of change in position, and have the recruiter then call me in Macquarie's offices. A complete turn-off.

Interview Questions
    • In what way do you approach leadership? Pretend you are placed in a group of strangers,do you take the reigns immediately? Are you more of a listener? When do you decide to act?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2011.

Interviewer a tad intimidating, he started off by asking behavioral questions, why macquerie, why banking, and then he started asking me brain teasers like, square root 100000, what's 99*99, etc... Then he asked me what are the news I am following, and asked me which class I like most. He also asked me which specific division I want to work in, I think I screwed on this one...

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2011.

I met with them on campus. I talked with them briefly and was invited to an interview on location, with about 5 other candidates on site. Overall, the employees were laid back and the experience was fun.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe my previous technical experiences, as well as code up some simple C functions.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

2 Interviews: 1 with a VP, 1 with a Managing Director; 1 Technical (single case with multiple questions), 1 logic/brain teaser/behavioral

Interview Questions
    • Value and form the capital structure for a toll road with an EBITDA of $30M   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

They asked me some behavioral questions. Expect to do your research about the company. There was a series of scenario questions involving IT and its infrastructure that weren't too difficult. There were three rounds of group interview with HR and the group that you would be working with. The interview were spaced out and the interviewees supportive.