Macquarie Group Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in August 2007.

2 phone call + 2 on-site +1 simple computer test, quite easy compared with other banks, just some behavioral and motivation questions

Quality of staffs and company culture are mediocre, but try to convince them that Macquarie will be your dedicated choice if hired

Interview Questions
    This is a graduate job with a standard package, so they give me the offer one week after interview without much negotiation

Treasury and Commodities Entry-Level Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2009.

Applying through the campus website was easy and they quickly got back in a week (whether or not I made the first round interview).

During the first round interview, the Human Resources manager was very nice and started out with questions such as "describe your previous internships and what skills did you learn in each?" (It seemed that Macquarie is more interested in work experience than in school extracurriculars since the manager didn't ask me about those activities.)

Another question was regarding the market in general (and the recession).

There were no technical questions (such as "describe the valuation process" or "how do you determine WACC"). There were also no brainteaser questions.

For advice, I would say to go very in-depth into researching the company and have lots of questions at the end (just in case you finish early).

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in June 2008.

The interview process was not too detailed, but included the basic questions from various levels of management. They had me take a personality test which I thought was ridiculous. COme to find out most of the bankers hired have been let go due to the market downturn. The restrucuturing side is still chugging along, but heard the demise of the banking division.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2009.

Because I was on a different continent than the interviewer, his assistant emailed me with a few options for dates & times for a tel interview which was very professional. Interviewer did not engage in small which usually helps to break the ice so I did feel a little awkward at first esp since you don't see each other's facial expressions. He asked me to go through my experience and asked a few questions along the way. He then explained that while the position was labelled 'Product manager' it was actually going to be a consultant relation type of role for the 1st year at the minimum. He also said that they were looking for someone with established consultant contacts in the US - which i clearly didn't have as I've been living overseas for some time. So overall quite different than what I was expecting.

Interview Questions
    • When you were laid off, why didn't they offer you a job elsewhere in the firm?   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Macquarie Group in March 2010.

Phone interview for job in overseas country. We never met before joining however many phone/video chats were had. I had to go into a local office to do a psychometric and aptitude test....3 rounds of interviews in total...friendly people and easy process because they needed someone fast. The test was on a computer and not something you can really study for...Math, pattern matching and personality questions were the main part of it

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2014.

You will receive a call from HR, who will conduct a phone interview with you referring to your CV, Then if successful the DD or Manager from team you applied for will meet with you for 45 Min, followed by another meeting straight after.

If successful you will then be asked to come in for a Psych test (Very difficult) depending on position applied for and relevance, you will be judged based on your mark and will need to meet the requirement % for that particular role to be successful. This is the last step and then you will hear back from HR regarding whether you have been successful or unsuccessful in obtaining the position.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of corporation do you see Macquarie as, what are your thoughts and views.   Answer Question

Senior Compliance/Risk Analyst Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2014.

Very intense interview process consisting of a 3 hour psychometric exam followed by 4-5 one on one interviews with the hiring manager, department head, and two other head ofs. First interview focused on culture fit and background. The second interview with the department head was significantly more challenging focusing more on technical abilities and demonstrated experience. Unfortunately, I did not get the role as it was only at the second stage that I was made aware of the department head's desire for a candidate with very specific experience.

One thing you'll notice immediately is that there is a high achieving culture as the people are very intelligent. I was impressed by this compliance team's values and the management's vision for how it will add value to the business as a whole.

Interview Questions
    • What is your definition of "compliance" in reference to investment banking? Be specific.

This question was unexpected because there was no previous indication that the role would be focused on investment banking (it was advertised as a generalist role).
        Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney (South Africa)
    Anonymous Employee in Sydney (South Africa)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2014.

Interview the day after I submitted application. Interview with one member from HR and a junior analyst from Mac Cap. Interview was fairly relaxed, a lot of focus on resume and questions about my resume. A few technical questions asking how I'd value a company. One brain teaser type question at the end.

Client Refresh Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Macquarie Group.

The overall hiring process is almost a month. HR communicates mostly thru email, then they will call you. The exam was easy, although it is timed. Candidates are also asked if willing to work in night shift.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about you that is not on your resume   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in June 2014.

- Applied Online
    - Phone Interview
    - Face to Face Interview
    - Assessment Centre
    - Final Interview
    - Reference Check
    - Offer

6 weeks total for the overall process, from application to offer. Initially applied for a different role, but due to my excellent psychometric scores. I was offered a different role that I was happy to undertake. Further interviews were conducted for the new role I was offered.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think constitutes to good customer service?   Answer Question
    No Negotiation.