Macquarie Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

3.1

ITG Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Soon after applying to Macquarie Group I was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was relatively laid back, no technical questions, just inquiries on my personal interests and interest in the company. I spent maybe an hour preparing by reading their site and some info on wiki, and that was sufficient to hold a 30 minute conversations. The second and final interview was in the office about 2 weeks later. That was a full day of 5 interviews back to back. First was a one hour follow up with the same person as the phone interview, so nothing technical yet. The next was a one hour personality and skills test/conversation with another person, still not technical, just be honest. After that, the next interview was also one hour long but with two employees. One had apparently Googled me, which scared me at first, but all he brought up was the fact that I can solve the Rubik's cube. Besides that, it was mostly a check on my Computer Science background: what courses I have taken, what projects I had done, strengths and weaknesses, etc. I wasn't asked to write any code in this one. Finally, the last two interviews were 45 minute tech interviews. There were basic introductions as with the other interviews and then the I was asked a few coding questions. All rather simple: reverse a string, write a stack class, and write a multiply function using only for loops and addition. After that, I asked questions about the company and left.

Interview Questions

• Implement a simple stack class with the functions push, pop, peak and getSize.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate because it was the best offer I had. But my advice is the same I've got from friends who have negotiated: don't lie. Be completely straight forward and honest.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Was interviewed for a contract to perm position. First interview was in person with 2 people. Next round was via telepresence with someone in Sydney. The assessment was intense.

Negotiation

Not much room for negotiation but salary and package was good so I was comfortable. Too bad I didn't know that 3 years would go by without them giving any raises or I would have asked for more money up front!

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

This was a standard banking interview, with a bunch of questions like 'what was your favorite class in college' and 'why do you want to be an investment banking analyst.' One of the two guys who interviewed me looked very sour, and never smiled. The other one looked tired and unhappy, but made an effort to smile a few times.

Interview Questions

• They also gave me a case: We are pitching to a client who sells batteries, but has been experiencing a decline in sales lately. What recommendations should we make to help them boost their sales?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in December 2010.

Interview

Interviewed by 2 senior bankers and completed a psychometric exam on the computer, which is standard for all new Macquarie hires. The in-person interviews were pretty relaxed and seemed to focus more on overall fit rather than technical aspects. This is probably because Macquarie seeks to train its junior hires in its own way from the start.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Standard BA entry package, little to negotiate.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

I went for a personal interview on campus with two Macquarie employees after meeting one of them at a campus Career Fair. They were both extremely friendly, and the interview was very relaxed. It was definitely more of a fit interview than technical. At one point, the interviewer I had met even guided me through a question. The day after, we were all required to take a 3 hour long personality/skills test. This was not mentioned during the interview so make sure you are aware that it is a requirement of ALL new Macquarie hires (including MDs) so you won't be able to get out of it. The second interview I had was a brief, 4 minute phone call. I was not required to travel to NY for this round. Great people, relaxed office and the work culture is unlike any other on the Street (especially if you are in infrastructure, where most people were not poached from other firms but spent their entire career at Macquarie).

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your considerations of an investment in a toll road in Mexico.   Answer Question
    • What would the balance sheet of the toll road look like?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The contract is standard and as a first year hire you won't be able to negotiate. The package is market and the salary increase for first years is definitely above market.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

was a good round of technocal interviews. Work seemed challenging

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

I apply at June , and got the phone interview notice after one month. they said wanna set up the phone interview with me. It is the first round phone interview, and the recruiter was very nice, very patient. all the asking question is about H R question like.... why

South African Equities Sales Interview

Application

Interview

We review resumes and select the best ones for our needs and clients, then we review their online portfolios if they have them if they are designers or art directors. If we find their work good or appropriate for our clients and it matches their resume and background we have our assistants set up interviews for us. If their is some question about them, then perhaps they will get a phone interview first.

Interview Questions

• Please highlight your past jobs, telling me the employment dates when you worked for companies and what your job duties were. (Candidate should not have resume in hand and should be able to recite from memory). If there are any gaps in employment, inquire about the situation(s).   Answer Question
    • Who did you report to and who reported to you (title)?   Answer Question

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

Interview started with general fit questions with HR rep. Then continued with analyst, who asked detailed questions (pros/cons) regarding different valuation techniques (DCF, EV, and price ratios) and asked for a stock pitch

Interview Questions

• What sector has performed the best in the past 20 years?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

First was an interview that consisted of behavioral and technical questions. There was also a mini case question regarding a valuation and acquisition of an airport. It was a phone interview and the interviewer was Australian and had a heavy accent, but it was clear enough. The psychometric test was near impossible and didn't even finish any of the 3 sections (quantitative reasoning, abstract reasoning, reading comprehension).