Macquarie Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Atlanta, GA) in February 2010.

Interview

Macquarie expects you to know a lot about the company during the interview, even just as an intern. The first round is a phone interview. They said they would call at 3:30. I sat by my phone from 3:25-4 without a call. They finally call at 5:30 then I was unavailable. When I called back, they seemed disinterested (most likely because I didn't answer the first time). The second step is a test. They compared it to a mini SAT. I was not asked back most likely because of the phone call incident, which was actually their fault.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

I got the interviews for this role through a staffing agency. The process consisted of a very difficult online programming skills test, a phone interview on past experiences, written test ( 3 hours) based on design and coding which was not very difficult, an in person interview with 3 individuals asking technical, programming questions and knowledge about the products, followed by phone interview to speak with members situated outside of New York City. At this point I already received an offer from another company and so ended the interview process here. But as far as I know there would be a couple more steps before the final decision would be made: A Psychometric test and interview with senior management. My overall impression of this company is good. Though the process had been lengthy it was well organized. The interviewers were knowledgable and were very excited about what they do. They were also very transparent about what the role was and what I would be expected to do. It was a very close-knit, positive work culture.

Treasury and Commodities Entry-Level Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Houston, TX) in October 2009.

Interview

Applying through the campus website was easy and they quickly got back in a week (whether or not I made the first round interview). During the first round interview, the Human Resources manager was very nice and started out with questions such as "describe your previous internships and what skills did you learn in each?" (It seemed that Macquarie is more interested in work experience than in school extracurriculars since the manager didn't ask me about those activities.) Another question was regarding the market in general (and the recession). There were no technical questions (such as "describe the valuation process" or "how do you determine WACC"). There were also no brainteaser questions. For advice, I would say to go very in-depth into researching the company and have lots of questions at the end (just in case you finish early).

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

Because I was on a different continent than the interviewer, his assistant emailed me with a few options for dates & times for a tel interview which was very professional. Interviewer did not engage in small which usually helps to break the ice so I did feel a little awkward at first esp since you don't see each other's facial expressions. He asked me to go through my experience and asked a few questions along the way. He then explained that while the position was labelled 'Product manager' it was actually going to be a consultant relation type of role for the 1st year at the minimum. He also said that they were looking for someone with established consultant contacts in the US - which i clearly didn't have as I've been living overseas for some time. So overall quite different than what I was expecting.

Interview Questions

• When you were laid off, why didn't they offer you a job elsewhere in the firm?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Berkeley, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Two times of phone interviews, and on-site interview

Interview Questions

• Behavioral question on the first round. Did not make it to the second round   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in June 2008.

Interview

The interview process was not too detailed, but included the basic questions from various levels of management. They had me take a personality test which I thought was ridiculous. COme to find out most of the bankers hired have been let go due to the market downturn. The restrucuturing side is still chugging along, but heard the demise of the banking division.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in March 2008.

Interview

I was contacted by a headhunter. After a few telephone interviews and a trip to London I was offered the chance to take a 3 hour exam. I was offered a job immediately thereafter.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I held out for a signing bonus and got it.

Senior Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Jacksonville, FL) in January 2008.

Interview

Fairly straight forward, however the process took forever.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't one.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in August 2007.

Interview

2 phone call + 2 on-site +1 simple computer test, quite easy compared with other banks, just some behavioral and motivation questions Quality of staffs and company culture are mediocre, but try to convince them that Macquarie will be your dedicated choice if hired

Interview Questions

• Why Macquarie rather than other banks   1 Answer
    • How to model PIK   1 Answer

Negotiation

This is a graduate job with a standard package, so they give me the offer one week after interview without much negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview

Had a short interview with HR of the division I was applying for. They were extremely nice and even explained some of the finer differences between different divisions within Macquarie. Also, the office is amazing.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer working alone or in groups? and why?   1 Answer