Macquarie Group

Updated Jul 17, 2014

3.5

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

7 round interview, all of which were very straight forward and surprisingly relaxed. Interviewers, in specific order, were MD, SVP, VP, Associate, SVP, Associate, Recruiter. They give you a few breaks (for lunch and in between interviews). I highly recommend using this time wisely. All in all, pretty straight forward for an IB interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Macquarie Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2012.

Applied through campus recruiting, first there was an on-campus interview with an associate and analyst (mix of fit + technical); then they make you take an online assessment that is pretty difficult and a week later they invited me to the superday. The super day was two fit interviews and one case (not like consulting more understanding why a merger was done and structured in a specific way).

Interview Questions
    • the case was hard if you don't know what financial engineering is and when to use stock vs cash.   Answer Question
    did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2011.

Interviewer a tad intimidating, he started off by asking behavioral questions, why macquerie, why banking, and then he started asking me brain teasers like, square root 100000, what's 99*99, etc... Then he asked me what are the news I am following, and asked me which class I like most. He also asked me which specific division I want to work in, I think I screwed on this one...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

Group pannel interview with two mid-range employees. Questions were fairly typical for investment banking interviews- accounting, basic valuation. Second round was a superday in their NYC office. Two interviews with fairly senior people. One was more quantitative one was more soft. Quantitative focused on basic math, speed and confidence. One of their main focuses was where you see yourself in 10 years and what you have been doing to reach it.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in June 2008.

The interview process was not too detailed, but included the basic questions from various levels of management. They had me take a personality test which I thought was ridiculous. COme to find out most of the bankers hired have been let go due to the market downturn. The restrucuturing side is still chugging along, but heard the demise of the banking division.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2011.

Created a login for your application and submit your personal information, division preferences, CV and Cover Letter . Received a call 4 days later to have an interview the next day. The Interview consisted of behavioural questions (eg. tell me about a time you worked in a team), brain teasers (eg. what is the degrees between the hour and minute hand when the time is 3.15), and finance questions (eg. how would you value a coal mine). Also asked what my favourite subjects were at University and why.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macquarie Group in December 2010.

Detailed communication with a senior advisor from the group. Had a 30-minute interview with her, face to face. Asked the general questions first, and then asked about my CV, recent news, evaluation etc. She was always friendly but kept writing things down. She sometimes side-tracked herself and asked me about things I do in daily life. There were some question which I simply did not know how to answer, e.g. how to evaluate an airport. She was not looking for any technical knowledge but lateral thinking.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in September 2010.

The first round interview was relatively easy, and the interviewer was very friendly. He did ask some case interview questions such as 'How many rounds of golf are played in the US each year?'. I made it to the second round of the process and had to take a psychometric/skills test. The test wasn't very difficult but I was ultimately not selected to go through to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • How many rounds of golf are played in the US each year?   Answer Question
    • If a pond will be covered in lilypads in 1 hour, and the amount of lilypads doubles every minute, how long will it take for the pond to be 25% covered?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2010.

Online application through their website by the due date for summer internships. Contacted by email three days later to book a 1:1 interview. After interview progressed to the next stage which involved completing personality, numerical, verbal and logical reasoning tests. Then flown to Sydney for final round interview which involved a case study.

Interview Questions
    • Run us through the process of pitching and closing a deal   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2009.

First interview was with HR, mostly fit questions. Second round was several hours long, with three 2:1 interviews. Mix of questions including resume, personality & fit, and finance questions. The finance questions were fairly difficult, e.g. "How would you value a casino?"

Interview Questions
    • How would you value a casino?   View Answer
    • Given your experience with non-profits and green tech, how do you feel about doing projects for oil companies?   Answer Question