Macquarie Group

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting, first there was an on-campus interview with an associate and analyst (mix of fit + technical); then they make you take an online assessment that is pretty difficult and a week later they invited me to the superday. The super day was two fit interviews and one case (not like consulting more understanding why a merger was done and structured in a specific way).

Interview Question – the case was hard if you don't know what financial engineering is and when to use stock vs cash.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – did not negotiate

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewer a tad intimidating, he started off by asking behavioral questions, why macquerie, why banking, and then he started asking me brain teasers like, square root 100000, what's 99*99, etc... Then he asked me what are the news I am following, and asked me which class I like most. He also asked me which specific division I want to work in, I think I screwed on this one...

Interview Question – square root 100000   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

Interview Details – Group pannel interview with two mid-range employees. Questions were fairly typical for investment banking interviews- accounting, basic valuation. Second round was a superday in their NYC office. Two interviews with fairly senior people. One was more quantitative one was more soft. Quantitative focused on basic math, speed and confidence. One of their main focuses was where you see yourself in 10 years and what you have been doing to reach it.

Interview Question – What is the square root of 100,000?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in June 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process was not too detailed, but included the basic questions from various levels of management. They had me take a personality test which I thought was ridiculous. COme to find out most of the bankers hired have been let go due to the market downturn. The restrucuturing side is still chugging along, but heard the demise of the banking division.

Interview Question – Describe a merger between Sears and KMart?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – Created a login for your application and submit your personal information, division preferences, CV and Cover Letter . Received a call 4 days later to have an interview the next day. The Interview consisted of behavioural questions (eg. tell me about a time you worked in a team), brain teasers (eg. what is the degrees between the hour and minute hand when the time is 3.15), and finance questions (eg. how would you value a coal mine). Also asked what my favourite subjects were at University and why.

Interview Question – How would you value a coal mine?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2009.

Interview Details – First interview was with HR, mostly fit questions. Second round was several hours long, with three 2:1 interviews. Mix of questions including resume, personality & fit, and finance questions. The finance questions were fairly difficult, e.g. "How would you value a casino?"

Interview Questions

• How would you value a casino?   View Answer
  • Given your experience with non-profits and green tech, how do you feel about doing projects for oil companies?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macquarie Group in December 2010.

Interview Details – Detailed communication with a senior advisor from the group. Had a 30-minute interview with her, face to face. Asked the general questions first, and then asked about my CV, recent news, evaluation etc. She was always friendly but kept writing things down. She sometimes side-tracked herself and asked me about things I do in daily life. There were some question which I simply did not know how to answer, e.g. how to evaluate an airport. She was not looking for any technical knowledge but lateral thinking.

Interview Question – How to evaluate the price of the Hong Kong airport?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in September 2010.

Interview Details – The first round interview was relatively easy, and the interviewer was very friendly. He did ask some case interview questions such as 'How many rounds of golf are played in the US each year?'. I made it to the second round of the process and had to take a psychometric/skills test. The test wasn't very difficult but I was ultimately not selected to go through to the next round.

Interview Questions

• How many rounds of golf are played in the US each year?   Answer Question
  • If a pond will be covered in lilypads in 1 hour, and the amount of lilypads doubles every minute, how long will it take for the pond to be 25% covered?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2010.

Interview Details – Online application through their website by the due date for summer internships. Contacted by email three days later to book a 1:1 interview. After interview progressed to the next stage which involved completing personality, numerical, verbal and logical reasoning tests. Then flown to Sydney for final round interview which involved a case study.

Interview Question – Run us through the process of pitching and closing a deal   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Macquarie Group in July 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of three rounds. The first round was with someone from HR. Upon passing the first interview, you will immediately asked to take a personality fit test on the same day (lasts about 3 hours). Thereafter a 3rd round consisted of two interviews, each with a panel of two people from the business (funds and/or advisory).

There is clearly a strong focus on fit given the distinct culture. Interviewers are generally more laid back and helpful.

Interview Question – Technical questions relating to finance despite not being from a finance background   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macquarie Group

Worked for Macquarie Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macquarie Group Investment Banking Analyst interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macquarie Group employees and interview candidates.