Macquarie Group Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.4

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

7 round interview, all of which were very straight forward and surprisingly relaxed. Interviewers, in specific order, were MD, SVP, VP, Associate, SVP, Associate, Recruiter. They give you a few breaks (for lunch and in between interviews). I highly recommend using this time wisely. All in all, pretty straight forward for an IB interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Macquarie Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, first there was an on-campus interview with an associate and analyst (mix of fit + technical); then they make you take an online assessment that is pretty difficult and a week later they invited me to the superday. The super day was two fit interviews and one case (not like consulting more understanding why a merger was done and structured in a specific way).

Interview Questions

• the case was hard if you don't know what financial engineering is and when to use stock vs cash.   Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewer a tad intimidating, he started off by asking behavioral questions, why macquerie, why banking, and then he started asking me brain teasers like, square root 100000, what's 99*99, etc... Then he asked me what are the news I am following, and asked me which class I like most. He also asked me which specific division I want to work in, I think I screwed on this one...

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macquarie Group (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Group pannel interview with two mid-range employees. Questions were fairly typical for investment banking interviews- accounting, basic valuation. Second round was a superday in their NYC office. Two interviews with fairly senior people. One was more quantitative one was more soft. Quantitative focused on basic math, speed and confidence. One of their main focuses was where you see yourself in 10 years and what you have been doing to reach it.

Interview Questions

• What is the square root of 100,000?   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in June 2008.

Interview

The interview process was not too detailed, but included the basic questions from various levels of management. They had me take a personality test which I thought was ridiculous. COme to find out most of the bankers hired have been let go due to the market downturn. The restrucuturing side is still chugging along, but heard the demise of the banking division.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview

Had an initial phone interview as I was interviewing from overseas . Had a bad experience as I found their administration awful. I was meant to do a supervised psychometric test to follow up from the one I did at home. They failed to contact me to tell me the time and address (despite me sending numerous emails).

Interview Questions

• A number of questions on valuation and techniques. Also logic question such as how would you solve 7^3.   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview

First round interview was through phone. We discussed basic behavior and technical questions incl. why Maccap, why IBD, why there is premium, etc. Second round was SHL test incl. verbal, logical and numerical. Got final interview after one month. The interview was through VC at NYC, and it had two parts. One is M&A case study, and the other is behavior interview. All are positive feedback but they just don't want to sponsor.

Interview Questions

• Why IBD, why Maccap, why premium for transaction comps   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2011.

Interview

Created a login for your application and submit your personal information, division preferences, CV and Cover Letter . Received a call 4 days later to have an interview the next day. The Interview consisted of behavioural questions (eg. tell me about a time you worked in a team), brain teasers (eg. what is the degrees between the hour and minute hand when the time is 3.15), and finance questions (eg. how would you value a coal mine). Also asked what my favourite subjects were at University and why.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in December 2010.

Interview

Detailed communication with a senior advisor from the group. Had a 30-minute interview with her, face to face. Asked the general questions first, and then asked about my CV, recent news, evaluation etc. She was always friendly but kept writing things down. She sometimes side-tracked herself and asked me about things I do in daily life. There were some question which I simply did not know how to answer, e.g. how to evaluate an airport. She was not looking for any technical knowledge but lateral thinking.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macquarie Group in September 2010.

Interview

The first round interview was relatively easy, and the interviewer was very friendly. He did ask some case interview questions such as 'How many rounds of golf are played in the US each year?'. I made it to the second round of the process and had to take a psychometric/skills test. The test wasn't very difficult but I was ultimately not selected to go through to the next round.

Interview Questions

• How many rounds of golf are played in the US each year?   Answer Question
    • If a pond will be covered in lilypads in 1 hour, and the amount of lilypads doubles every minute, how long will it take for the pond to be 25% covered?   1 Answer