Macquarie Group Interview Questions in New York City, NY

3.1

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview process included aptitude tests (eg. what image comes next in a sequence) and behavioral tests that took almost three hours. No feedback or contact whatsoever after interview process complete (three interviews and aptitude tests). Lack of follow up a concern, and unprofessional.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

On campus recruiting like all other banks, then first round interviews on campus with a girl from HR or a relatively junior person, then took some ridiculously long assessment test, then final round superday at the company office (3-4 interviews, 30 min each). They did draw out the process a lot longer than I would have liked, but they gave me two weeks to decide and let me pick my start date the following summer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work specifically at Macquarie? (didn't know much about the firm when I applied)   Answer Question
    Standard analyst contract

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Macquarie Group.

Called in for first round interviews in their offices.

Interview Questions
    • How many people have you worked under in your past job.   Answer Question

Central Compliance Training Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Macquarie Group in September 2013.

Analysis Paralysis comes to mind. There were 5 rounds of interviews- and there would have been a 6th had I let them continue upon the path they were going in. Round 1 = HR Screening, Round 2 = Two 30 minute interviews with Sr. Managers, Round 3= Psychometric testing, Round 4=Two 30 minute interviews with Assoc. Directors, Round 5= Mock Training Session. Throughout these all of these rounds I barely had an opportunity to ask the interviewers questions, which was especially important considering this was a new role, and as I found out poorly defined in what they need. If I really wanted to be a full time trainer (rather than a training manager which is what the job is supposed to be) I would have just kept my mouth shut and cooperated with their process and probably gotten the offer, but not only is that not what I wanted- but more importantly I saw a great deal of inconsistancies- therefore the job as they define it is not what they need.

Interview Questions
    • Questions from managers with L&D backgrounds were well framed for an L&D role- but seemed inconsistent from questions from those coming from Compliance, and difficult to gauge what they really wanted vs. what they needed. The questions themselves were not difficult.   Answer Question

Procurement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Macquarie Group in August 2013.

Telephone interview with recruiter, she was very insulting, but somehow passed me on for anther in person interview. That went well and then the telephone interviews started with Australia . That was ok, although it was the same questions from most of them, then they have you take a very difficult assessment test. Better study for it, it is not easy.

Interview Questions
    • Were you upset that the board of directors did not support your suggestions for change   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2012.

Applied through campus recruiting, first there was an on-campus interview with an associate and analyst (mix of fit + technical); then they make you take an online assessment that is pretty difficult and a week later they invited me to the superday. The super day was two fit interviews and one case (not like consulting more understanding why a merger was done and structured in a specific way).

Interview Questions
    • the case was hard if you don't know what financial engineering is and when to use stock vs cash.   Answer Question
    did not negotiate

Reception Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2012.

I had never heard of the company before a recruiter saw my resume online, saw I had reception and service experience, and invited me to apply for the position. I interviewed with the recruiters first and they set up an interview time with the company.
     The interview at Macquarie was overall a pleasant experience. I interviewed with two people. I could tell one person had actually looked at my resume and asked me thoughtful and insightful questions. The other person appeared as if they had just looked at my resume for the first time and asked general questions. I was confident in my speech and answers and asked them both about the company culture, how they've grown with the company, and what they liked about working there.
    Interviewers seemed to unconsciously adopt a "good cop/bad cop" stance. One interviewer was extremely candid about the pros and cons of the job and really gave me a feel for the daily operations, daily struggles, the variety of personalities to deal with, and rewards of working there. The other acted as if she was reading from a script of company values, which was fine, but gave no insight into what I'd really be doing each day. Both interviewers constantly made a point about how finding a new way to do things was valued in the company. This was brought up over and over again but when I asked both interviewers to give me an example of how they found new ways to complete tasks they admitted that neither of them had done so.
         I was asked back for a 2nd interview a few days later. After I announced myself and sat in the office lobby, the receptionist asked me to take a phone call at her desk. It was the recruiter, explaining the person who was originally leaving the job for the position I interviewed for had decided to remain in the job and that since I was no longer needed I could leave. I was stunned. Once my interviewers at Macquarie knew this they should have called the recruiter right away to cancel the interview and I never would have shown up. Also, it appeared my interviewers were both so cowardly and unprofessional that they could not step out of their offices ten feet away from the lobby to personally advise me the position was no longer available. I felt it was passive and careless to decide not to meet me at the appointed time, choose not to speak to me directly about the situation, call the recruiter to advise of change in position, and have the recruiter then call me in Macquarie's offices. A complete turn-off.

Interview Questions
    • In what way do you approach leadership? Pretend you are placed in a group of strangers,do you take the reigns immediately? Are you more of a listener? When do you decide to act?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in October 2011.

Interviewer a tad intimidating, he started off by asking behavioral questions, why macquerie, why banking, and then he started asking me brain teasers like, square root 100000, what's 99*99, etc... Then he asked me what are the news I am following, and asked me which class I like most. He also asked me which specific division I want to work in, I think I screwed on this one...

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in April 2011.

I met with them on campus. I talked with them briefly and was invited to an interview on location, with about 5 other candidates on site. Overall, the employees were laid back and the experience was fun.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe my previous technical experiences, as well as code up some simple C functions.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

2 Interviews: 1 with a VP, 1 with a Managing Director; 1 Technical (single case with multiple questions), 1 logic/brain teaser/behavioral

Interview Questions
    • Value and form the capital structure for a toll road with an EBITDA of $30M   Answer Question