Macquarie Group

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in September 2010.

1st interview - Reporting Manager and peer. Standard interview with thorough previous experience and role specific "tell me about a time when..." type questions. Good interview. Feedback was very good.
Then psyc test (4 hrs).
2nd interview - Business manager. Good interview again. More of an open discussion. Feedback was very good - Business Manager told me he hopes I get the position upon exiting the interview.
3rd interview - Associate Director and Divisional Director - This is where its it becomes very hard. Both turned up 10 mins late to the interview. Both gave off waves of disinterest and "I'm way too important to be here" and intentional intimidating attitudes. Div Director yawning throughout the interview. Very open and vague questions that require a general answer so the interviewee runs a big risk of focussing on the wrong areas. Even after trying to engage them in a more open dialogue so I could try to focus in on the specific areas that they were interested in - nope. Both didn't appear to know anything about the position I was interviewing for. Also had to endure a "explain what the internet is to my 70 year old grandmother who is completely computer illiterate" question. When I asked them to describe to me 2 good and bad things about Macquarie - I was given 2 good things by the Associate Director (no negative because her boss was sitting next to her) and the Divisional Director said "well...err...it depends on your point of view". I think he had to wake himself up and therefore didn't like my question. 2 weeks after this interview I was told I was the best candidate but I didn't get the job. No one did.
Total time for the process 5 weeks. Cost me about $400.

Went through a VERY similar experience at Macquarie 3 months earlier with exactly the same outcome at each step.

Interview Questions
  • Vague generalised questions with no interviewer response, discussion or input (senior management final interview)   Answer Question

Not one of the candidates was offered the position. I will not interview with Mac again. I don't think I could work with the senior management. They seem to be a different breed to the rest of the organisation and do not respect a candidates time. Very arrogant attitude and full of their self importance. (SM level and above). The rest of the organisation is a pleasure to work with.