Macquarie Group

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Reception Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macquarie Group in May 2012.

Interview Details – I had never heard of the company before a recruiter saw my resume online, saw I had reception and service experience, and invited me to apply for the position. I interviewed with the recruiters first and they set up an interview time with the company.
 The interview at Macquarie was overall a pleasant experience. I interviewed with two people. I could tell one person had actually looked at my resume and asked me thoughtful and insightful questions. The other person appeared as if they had just looked at my resume for the first time and asked general questions. I was confident in my speech and answers and asked them both about the company culture, how they've grown with the company, and what they liked about working there.
Interviewers seemed to unconsciously adopt a "good cop/bad cop" stance. One interviewer was extremely candid about the pros and cons of the job and really gave me a feel for the daily operations, daily struggles, the variety of personalities to deal with, and rewards of working there. The other acted as if she was reading from a script of company values, which was fine, but gave no insight into what I'd really be doing each day. Both interviewers constantly made a point about how finding a new way to do things was valued in the company. This was brought up over and over again but when I asked both interviewers to give me an example of how they found new ways to complete tasks they admitted that neither of them had done so.
     I was asked back for a 2nd interview a few days later. After I announced myself and sat in the office lobby, the receptionist asked me to take a phone call at her desk. It was the recruiter, explaining the person who was originally leaving the job for the position I interviewed for had decided to remain in the job and that since I was no longer needed I could leave. I was stunned. Once my interviewers at Macquarie knew this they should have called the recruiter right away to cancel the interview and I never would have shown up. Also, it appeared my interviewers were both so cowardly and unprofessional that they could not step out of their offices ten feet away from the lobby to personally advise me the position was no longer available. I felt it was passive and careless to decide not to meet me at the appointed time, choose not to speak to me directly about the situation, call the recruiter to advise of change in position, and have the recruiter then call me in Macquarie's offices. A complete turn-off.

Interview Question – In what way do you approach leadership? Pretend you are placed in a group of strangers,do you take the reigns immediately? Are you more of a listener? When do you decide to act?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Macquarie Group

Worked for Macquarie Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macquarie Group Reception interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Macquarie Group employees and interview candidates.