Macquarie Group Interview Questions in Sydney, Australia

Updated May 3, 2015

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Online application was followed up with a telephone interview three days after submission. This was then followed with another telephone interview with the same recruitment specialist who fielded a series of standard interview questions relating to my previous employment, interest in Macquarie Group, current knowledge of financial markets and marketing specific knowledge. Up to and including, this point of the interview process was very positive and met with quick turn-around times. A face-to-face interview was subsequently offered the day after the second telephone interview. Met with department head and senior associate. Interview held after-hours. Both were very charismatic and friendly. First half of interview consisted of friendly chatter, whilst the second half was scripted interview questions provided by HR. All-in-all the interview seemed successful and the recruitment specialist followed up a week later with an email to say as much and asked for a time to call to discuss. However, and after a reply to say that anytime would suit, no further correspondence was received. Perhaps a busy time for HR, a change in business-unit directive, an internal promotion, or another more suitable candidate was found. One would have considered that an email notification of the outcome would have been appropriate.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in February 2015.

Interview

Lots of questions about CV. Interviewers was very very cool and friendly but dived deep in my CV and asked hard on achievements. Nothing out of place but definitely more intense questions and length of interview than other jobs.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Lengthly and thorough but pretty efficient. HR did a good job of communicating what ended up being several rounds of interview and psychometric testing. All the people were friendly and engaged and asked reasonable questions. There were few surprise or difficult questions. Used specific examples related to my experience and background.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual. Mostly job related and specific to my background. All were manageable with specific examples as answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

small salary increase over initial offer

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in April 2014.

Interview

You will receive a call from HR, who will conduct a phone interview with you referring to your CV, Then if successful the DD or Manager from team you applied for will meet with you for 45 Min, followed by another meeting straight after.

If successful you will then be asked to come in for a Psych test (Very difficult) depending on position applied for and relevance, you will be judged based on your mark and will need to meet the requirement % for that particular role to be successful. This is the last step and then you will hear back from HR regarding whether you have been successful or unsuccessful in obtaining the position.

Interview Questions

• What kind of corporation do you see Macquarie as, what are your thoughts and views.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in January 2014.

Interview

Standard hiring process, call up on the phone interview first, and a week later attended the first interview with team leader. Then booked in a accessement test, followed by another interview with the division manager. Now I have been informed they just completed the reference checking and further info will be known shortly.

Interview Questions

• Board competency based interview question, no drama.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

interviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in September 2013.

Interview

I first went through an initial screening on the phone with HR. During the conversation, we went through my CV on my work experience. Essentially I think HR was trying to get a clearer picture of my profile. After that, I had my first face to face interview before proceeding to sit for a psychometric test. Lastly, I had my final interview a week later.

Interview Questions

• Abstract reasoning portion of the test and some of the behavioural questions.   Answer Question

Senior Equity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in August 2013.

Interview

Hiring and interview process consisted of 3 separate interviews with various members of the team. These interviews were fairly generic with standard questions about experience and motivations. To complete the process, a psychometric assessment was done which went for around 2 hours. Part of this assessment was personality based and relatively straight forward (no point lying here as questions are phrased to see if your answers are consistent), the other parts of the assessment were based around a proprietary psychometric test which had 3x 20 minute sections (20 problems in 20 minutes). The sections were verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and abstract reasoning. These tests were difficult to complete in the allotted time (I would recommend any online provider to aid in practicing for this).

Interview Questions

• Questions were fine, aptitude test was the trickiest thing.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

- 2 interviews in total. First with direct report manager and 2nd with 2 other project managers.
    - 1 psych test for the perm role
    - Asked to talk about yourself and then go through the relevant parts of your experience with the advertised role.
    - 1-2 interviewers at a time.

Interview Questions

• Technical question about XML structures, system protocols and programming knowledge. Unexpected for a not too technical role itself.   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A.

FICC Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2012.

Interview

Standard online application form. Called up for an interview with a HR girl. She was very friendly and was good about contacting me in regards to questions I had prior to the interview.
    During the interview she seemed a little nervous, and a little inexperienced, even though she had worked there for 2 years. I think they should have included a manager in the interview but anyway.
    Questions were work experience, personal history, behavioral and where I wanted to be in the firm. Quite straight forward.
    Didn't progress to the test due to the fact that they were only hiring 1 grad for the position. No feedback, but I didn't chase it up. My friend asked for feedback and they told him that there was nothing wrong with his application, but they just weren't taking on any people.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of a time when you achieved something that you were particularly proud of?   Answer Question
    • What has been your favorite subjects in your degree? and also: Why did you choose the degree that you did?   Answer Question

Futures Cash Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Macquarie Group (Sydney (Australia)) in February 2012.

Interview

Quite informal, a lot of emphasis placed on a good cultural fit and good psychometric test results. I did a lot of background research into the company and the role and they were impressed when I threw that stuff in my responses. Reasonably easy interview. Was an operations role though.