Macy's Administrative Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.0

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

After reading the negative reviews about the job and company, I decided to push through thinking I might have a different experience and since they are willing to give a full time position. When I was getting interviewed the manager said that there was a sudden change of plans and FT positions are for internal hires only (giving way to seniority), then asked me if I was okay with working PT. I dressed up, drove my way there, and waited, and it would be senseless to say that I would be withdrawing my application given I'm already in front of him. I just went with the flow. The interview lasted for about 10-15 mins. Questions were pretty basic with regard to past experiences with multi-tasking, teamwork, integrity, etc. Should've listened to reviews that don't expect a FT position with them. I just hope they won't try to bait people into applying by saying they offer a FT position, then say they can only give PT when the applicant is in front of them.

Interview Questions

• Give an example where you see someone was doing something wrong, and what did you do about it?   Answer Question
  • Give an example where your boss gave you extra tasks and you were able to handle it together with your daily primary work.   Answer Question
  • Give an example where you helped someone within the team and what happened afterwards.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Springfield, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was very quick, less than 10 min. The interviewer was very off topic when explaining the job description. Began to talk about how far other candidates were in the interview process making if confusing to me why I was being interviewed

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in retail?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

They actually reached out to me off the strength of my resume. The first interview went really well, but I began to worry, because it took them a month to get back to me. After landing the second interview I was ecstatic, just like the first the second interview went fairly well. Typical interview questions, flowing conversation and really nice employees.

Interview Questions

• What would you say is a negative quality about yourself?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received an email invitation to set up an interview the following week. I went to the interview on a Monday and was told I was the first person interviewed and would hear by the end of the week. I got an email 6 weeks later saying I had not received the position.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer follows a script of basic questions, nothing difficult.... Give us a time when you received excellent customer service....   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Lynnwood, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

Interview process is a joke. The job only pays $10.45 an hour for hr type work. Insulting. Filling out online application and checking salary ranges you would except like $16.00 or more and still get an interview to be told its $10.45 was a shock and waste of time and energy.

Interview Questions

• How little the job pays. After being told what the job actually pays i was asked if i wanted to continue with the interview, i said no, i havent been paid that low of a wage since i was a teen, and that was many years ago. I will never apply for a job at macys in the future   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Interview

Interviewed with one department, they went with another candidate. Went back about 2 weeks later to interview for another department, they hired me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

First you interview with the HR recruiter for the position, then if succeed, the next step is an interview with the supervisor of the position. The HR recruiter can be really helpful prepping you for your second interview, so it's a good idea to ask them for tips if you have the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Macy's is very development oriented, so they will likely ask you about career goals / plans   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Merritt Island, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Merritt Island, FL) in January 2014.

Interview

The scheduling of the interview is automated so you get an email to schedule you own interview. I understand the reason but still think it's a bit impersonal. Then I got a call to change the time anyway! Oh well....no biggie! The people I met with were super great.

Interview Questions

• There were not any questions that I felt were in any way difficult but I would encourage all those newly entering the market place to review interview questions or practice with someone. They ask the standard questions like team work examples, difficult situation you've been in and how you dealt with it, etc....   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (Overland Park, KS) in November 2013.

Interview

After applying for the Administrative support position for HR, I was contact via email to set up an appointment to speak with a hiring manager. The reason I applied for the position is because it was part time and I'd be performing basic HR duties which was appealing since I recently graduated with an HR degree. Once I arrived at the store and waited for 10 mins, two employees introduced themselves and informed me that the position I applied for had been filled BUT they wanted to interview me for a holiday sales associate position. I said "No Thanks" and left, in the small print during the appointment set up they said this could happen. However, the fact that the position was previously filled and I had driven through intense traffic after work was a complete waste and I was pretty pissed. Doing that to people is extremely unprofessional and actually insulting considering the person's resume,previous experience and position they originally applied for. Macy's at Metcalf South could have just sent an email notifying myself the position was filed and good luck on my job search....NEVER AGAIN!

Interview Questions

• There were none as soon as I was informed the position I applied for I respectfully declined the holiday sales position.   Answer Question

not the job I applied for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Macy's (Mishawaka, IN) in October 2012.

Interview

I interviewed with a supervisor. My interview process was not typical because it turned out I knew the interviewer so it was a no brainer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate