Macy's Administrative Support Team Associate Interview Questions

2.5

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Towson, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I applied online, received an email to schedule an appointment. I scheduled my appointment for noon, showed up 10 minutes early, and wasn't interviewed until an hour after my interview time. I could tell by the interview that she wasn't really interested in hiring me, she only asked me THREE questions. I think it may have been because my availability didn't allow me to work a few of their "key dates" in November, which she asked me before I started to interview. But I have school, which was not only on my resume but also included in the availibility portion of the application so it wasn't like that was a surpise.

Interview Questions
  • There weren't any difficult questions, she only asked three 1. Describe a time when you saw someone bending or breaking the rules, what did you do? 2. What administrative experience do you have? 3. Describe a time when working in a team or a group, what role did you take?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

I applied online and then was asked to schedule an interview. I arrived 15 minutes early and sat in the lobby for 45 minutes waiting for the interviewer. She finally called me in to tell me she had already filled the position and offered me a min. wage retail job. I advised her that I would have appreciated a call to let me know the position was filled or if she had simply told me that while I sat and waited for 45 minutes. Completely unprofessional behavior.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

The interview scheduling process was very impersonal. Everything is done by automated Email. They Email you an interview request. Then you click on a link to schedule a date and time. I was only given one option for date and time. They send you an Email reminder as your interview date and time approaches.

Interview Questions
    • None of them were really unexpected. Most of them are focused on Customer Service orientation and putting the customer first.   Answer Question

I indicated my salary range when I submitted the online application. When I got there, they stated that the salary was significantly less. Why waste my time? I was very disappointed with the experience overall.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in May 2013.

I applied online (for Macy's Ala Moana) and got an scheduling invite the next day. There wasn't much date and time to choose from so I scheduled my interview a week after.

On the day of the interview, I arrived 10 minutes early. As instructed in the email, I went to the HR office and picked up the phone. I was told to wait for the interviewer. Later, I got a call and instructed me to go to the Executive Office instead.

The interviewer explained that she has mandatory questions to ask me regarding my candidacy for the position. She said she had to write down my answers. First question she asked was if I'm looking for a Full Time or Part Time job. I answered her saying I wanted something FT. She then only asked me the questions from her pamphlet. There were only a few questions, around 6-7 of them. Easy questions that you have to compare to your previous experience. After that, she explained to me the role of the position, the duties and responsibilities. Turns out, the position is only a 12-hr/week job. Of course this wouldn't have any benefits included. She told me that I have to have a flexible schedule because it can start as early as 6:30 am and as late as 11:00 pm. I told her I had no problems with those working hours. When it was my turn to ask her questions, I only ask two questions about the position. She then said I'll be notified of the outcome when she is done doing the interviews.

Over three weeks past when I get the rejection letter. I clearly said I was flexible and remember my interviewer wrote the word "Flexible" on my questionnaire. So, I have no idea why I got an email saying " Unfortunately, your availability does not correspond with the days and hours needed for this position.".

Interview Questions
    • All questions were the typical "Tell me about a time when you..." questions. Nothing unexpected since all questions were read out from their recruiting pamphlet.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

interviewed at Macy's in April 2013.

Applied online got invite in for a interview.

1 on 1 interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give a time when you observed a co-worker doing something unethical? What did you do about it?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calumet City, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calumet City, IL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in August 2012.

The process was quite long 1st applied for the position July 11, got an email the next day stating to go to the website and schedule an interview however for over 4 weeks there were never any dates and I would check on a daily basis and finally the beginning of August dates appeared, I set up for Aug 15, but then got a call on the Friday before stating the hiring manager was not going to be in that day and if I could come in sooner. So I agreed and set up for Aug 13, went in with how they Macy associates dress after reading Glassdoor so black slacks, a turquoise shirt and a black sweater shawl on top with some low black heels..When I arrived and went downstairs to their human resources dept the other administrative support associate was away at lunch so I actually was first greeted by the hiring manager she had a few things going on and thank me for waiting but I told her taker her time so I waited a total of 20 min and then she walked me in her office. Once in there she explained what the position entailed and it was for part time, I have always been a worker at heart and felt the position could have paid a little more but I am willing to put in work to move up, It was about 5 question of "Tell me a time" when you dealt with an angry customer, had a team and someone didn't pull their weight what did you do, how do you feel about answering customer complaints etc.. ALWAYS TRY TO USE THE STAR METHOD(SITUATION, TASK, ACTION, RESULT) I pretty much answer the next questions by using the method, she said I reminded her of an associate of hers that she had recently help get promoted to a selling supervisor. She left out for a second came back and told me she had been interviewing for this position for a awhile and she offered me the job on the spot! Which was refreshing because I had quite a few interviews which often went nowhere. She said pending my background check she would have me start right away that was Monday, Wed the check came back which was good and I knew it would so I start training on Friday. This was an extreme pay cut as my old job I was making $16hr and full time with benefits and I had been there almost 5 years, but me and my husband are making the best of it as he makes good money and been on his job over 10 years. This is a stepping stone for me in the right direction as I prepare myself to bull a career in the human resources world. I was happy about the 20% discount until I heard you have to use a Macy's credit card or a prepaid card that you get the 20% deducted at the end of your statement cycle (which sucks I don't want to pay full price upfront) but that is not why I am working there it just an added bonus.

It is a part-time position and I have been out of work for almost 10 months, but I am also working on my master degree in human resource management which this gives me some experience in back office, which I have never had. In the application they ask you what pay range you expect, originally i said between $14-16 an hour but of course its only $10

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Olmsted, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Olmsted, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in July 2012.

I was very dissapointed in the lack of professionalism and dissorganization I saw at this interview. The interview was not prepared and did not have my resume in front of them to review. She was asking questions that I already had answered on the application and information that was in my resume'. When I gave her my resume' to review she acted like she was happy but then she put her papers on top of my resume which told me she was not interested in hiring me. She was not prepared and I felt like I was taking up to much of her time. She kept telling me how busy she was at work. It was obvious that she had no interest in hiring me form the get go. She wasted my time.

Interview Questions
    • Can I work evenings, weekends, and holidays. I did not expect this question because in my application I had said I was only available days. Did not do homework. Wasted my time because my availability is the reason they gave for not hiring me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Guam, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Guam, NM

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Macy's in October 2011.

The interview questions were already outlined. Most of the questions were situational and your response would be to in details in how to handle situations with the management and co-workers, performing tasks assigned by management, sharing skills that would benefit the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Macy's in August 2011.

I applied online and received an email the next day requesting that I schedule an interview. I scheduled the interview. All the employees were dressed from business casual to business professional. I had the interview, and the interviewer told me I interviewed well. Then, she told me the position I interviewed for was filled. This begs the question: what was the significance of having the interview if the position was filled?

Interview Questions
    • Why Macy's? How did you react to someone in your past experience who stole something? Are you comfortable multitasking? Give an example in your past experience where you provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macy's in April 2010.

The process was easy and smooth flowing. I submitted an application online and received invitation for interview the next day. The interview went great involving typical questions of "Why Macy's?" and how to deal with several managers.

No negotiation.